Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 07:50 AM

8,456 posts, read 6,567,182 times

Advertisements

I go to a large church that has a seminary. One of the young pastors wanted to help out and took in a homeless guy. 1st time the pastor left the guy cleaned him out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 09:27 AM

42,842 posts, read 26,660,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Vice just released this article and video on la homelessness
There is one homeless man named Harvey featured that says the city is “spending way too much f’in tax payer money on nothing “
I agree with Harvey
So do I.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I wonder if this this is a part of the very same documentary that our tax dollars were used by Bonin to produce. And yeah, those two homeless people are a far cry from the raving lunatics we have wandering around the city terrorizing people and committing aggravated assaults.
They are homeless for economic reasons, it's not that uncommon. They are easy to ignore because they try not be noticed. The dilemma is; with limited resources do you help them get back on their feet or do you spend your resources on shelter on the most dysfunctional homeless who create the biggest societal problems?

Old 12-16-2018, 08:11 PM

13,587 posts, read 15,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Around 8:30 a.m. a group of outreach workers from the Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority will arrive, and ask Franco and everyone on the streets in his neighborhood how they can help him.
And some people on this forum claim that there are no outreach programs for our homeless, which bolsters what others and myself have repeatedly stated to the chagrin of certain posters on this forum: the majority of people living on the streets do so by choice, not because there are no programs to help them get cleaned up and off the streets.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:10 AM

4,634 posts, read 3,434,723 times
Quote:
And some people on this forum claim that there are no outreach programs for our homeless, which bolsters what others and myself have repeatedly stated to the chagrin of certain posters on this forum: the majority of people living on the streets do so by choice, not because there are no programs to help them get cleaned up and off the streets.
You are basing this assertion on the interview of one homeless person quoted from the Vice program? Let me go out on a limb and suggest you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

A mere lifestyle choice it is huh....the only type of person foolish enough to buy into your "evidence" is the sort of person who'd vote for a candidate promising to build a wall with a foreign nation's money. Oh wait, never mind.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:26 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,237,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
You are basing this assertion on the interview of one homeless person quoted from the Vice program? Let me go out on a limb and suggest you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

A mere lifestyle choice it is huh....the only type of person foolish enough to buy into your "evidence" is the sort of person who'd vote for a candidate promising to build a wall with a foreign nation's money. Oh wait, never mind.
Let me go out on a limb and suggest that you haven't a clue what you are talking about. See how that works? What is the basis for your comment?

Yes, many are homeless by choice but some here choose to provide a different moniker to such persons, that of being "transient". I can't discern a difference in appearance, attitude or smell between a homeless person and a "transient". Interestingly, the media does not distinguish between these two supposedly differing groups nor do policy makers. There are, for example, no wealth tests (let alone background tests_ that would prevent a rich homeless, er transient, from hitting the jackpot at taxpayer expense.

Just how much money do transients have? Could they work? Are they just lazy?

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...-a-2833486.php

Old 12-23-2018, 12:35 AM

13,587 posts, read 15,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

Incorrect. I'm basing it on data provided by the LAPD and L.A. County Sheriff's Dept.

If I were you, I wouldn't spend too very much more time on that limb...

Old 12-23-2018, 12:38 AM

4,634 posts, read 3,434,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Let me go out on a limb and suggest that you haven't a clue what you are talking about. See how that works? What is the basis for your comment?

Yes, many are homeless by choice but some here choose to provide a different moniker to such persons, that of being "transient". I can't discern a difference in appearance, attitude or smell between a homeless person and a "transient". Interestingly, the media does not distinguish between these two supposedly differing groups nor do policy makers. There are, for example, no wealth tests (let alone background tests_ that would prevent a rich homeless, er transient, from hitting the jackpot at taxpayer expense.

Just how much money do transients have? Could they work? Are they just lazy?

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...-a-2833486.php
Oh come on man. Are you kidding? You need to re-read the post I responded to:

Quote:
the majority of people living on the streets do so by choice, not because there are no programs to help them get cleaned up and off the streets.
This story you posted is about one guy with a trust fund who likes to booze it up on the streets. His very own lawyer is quoted in the story as follows:

"I've gotten him into housing over a dozen times, but it never worked. He just walks away, leaving the key in the door. He's basically the only homeless guy I ever heard of who has assets. He's like a unicorn -- a magical figure."

Old 12-23-2018, 07:36 AM

26,958 posts, read 27,229,118 times
Quote:
I'm basing it on data provided by the LAPD and L.A. County Sheriff's Dept.
Links, then? You never seem to post this data of which you so often speak.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Incorrect. I'm basing it on data provided by the LAPD and L.A. County Sheriff's Dept.

If I were you, I wouldn't spend too very much more time on that limb...
What data? LAPD and LASO categorize all arrestees who refuse to give an address as homeless, I'm not sure when/how they started tracking transients separately but if they actually are I am certainly interested in looking at the data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles