Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 01:21 PM

21,906 posts, read 16,649,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
So I live in an “arrogant community” in the Greater Los Angeles area, and based on that fact, my opinion(s) don’t matter. But those residing far outside the area, areas not even remotely part of the area and which are also not “arrogant communities,”are correct in all assessments.

By the way, Honolulu is filled with filthy “ homeless” people. Oops, or are they “ transients”?
Didn't name you OC ... but if the shoe fits.

Is San Diego “far out of the area”? Especially, how much further from LA is it than OC? The vast continent of Camp Pendleton separates my reality? Homelessness in San Diego is soooo different!

Honolulu has both transients and homeless. It is somewhat more unique than the mainland cities. The majority of homeless in Honolulu are from Hawaii ... but the numbers of “dreamers” who came to paradise and failed to earn sufficiently to meet the high COL here have really added to the problem a lot. As retired military myself, using military base recreational facilities everday (I stay at the campgrounds and shop the exchanges and commissaries etc), I am in daily contact with other vets and active duty. An interesting statistic was just passed to me in conversation with a homeless services advocate here a couple days ago:
1 in 5 homeless youth on Oahu is from a military family. Yipes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 01:53 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,239,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Didn't name you OC ... but if the shoe fits.

Is San Diego “far out of the area”? Especially, how much further from LA is it than OC? The vast continent of Camp Pendleton separates my reality? Homelessness in San Diego is soooo different!

Honolulu has both transients and homeless. It is somewhat more unique than the mainland cities. The majority of homeless in Honolulu are from Hawaii ... but the numbers of “dreamers” who came to paradise and failed to earn sufficiently to meet the high COL here have really added to the problem a lot. As retired military myself, using military base recreational facilities everday (I stay at the campgrounds and shop the exchanges and commissaries etc), I am in daily contact with other vets and active duty. An interesting statistic was just passed to me in conversation with a homeless services advocate here a couple days ago:
1 in 5 homeless youth on Oahu is from a military family. Yipes!
Hawaii as you know wants to send homeless back to the mainland. When you say the homeless (not to be confused with transients who live alongside them), are “from Hawaii” if they resided in Hawaii, however briefly, you conclude there are Hawaiian before they “transitioned”. Thus to you such persons are Hawaiian.

When advocacy groups report on these issues, do they include “transients” among the group of persons who are deserving of housing (it is a “human right” for transients too, right?) and anyone who is effectively homeless, whether it is a lifestyle or not. What about Car/van and RV homeless. I don’t seem to remember a distinction being made between any of these groups let alone “free spirit” transients...ever.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 02-21-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 01:54 PM

26,959 posts, read 27,236,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I read the document. Perhaps I missed it - but it doesn't seem to address elimination of homelessness.
Random scroll through pages 1-4...

"Downtown Drop-In Center/Transition to No-Barrier Bridge Housing

Homeless Families Solutions System (HFSS) Rapid Re-Housing and Crisis Housing for Family System $556,625 Level funding; ready for operation on July 1. HFSS is leveraged with City and County funding. This will be the fourth year of operating HFSS and LAHSA has the required capacity to ensure program efficiency. The program has been very successful in placing families which will be reflected in the reduction in homeless families in the 2016 homeless count numbers. The program has achieved the following results: • 2013-2014, 743 housing placements • 2014-2015, 1,046 housing placements • 2015-2016, 1,200 housing placements (projection) • 2016-2017, 1,400 housing placements (projection) Coordinated Entry System (CES) Crisis and Bridge Housing for Singles and...."

Old 02-21-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
If people don't live in LA or right outside of LA they really have no business commenting on this. Because they're not seeing/dealing with it like we are.
I believe they are.

More Homeless People Live in New York Than in Any Other City:
https://www.wnyc.org/story/more-home...ny-other-city/

Southern Nevada among nation’s highest in homeless population:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...ss-population/

Despite money and effort, homelessness in SF as bad as ever:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/aboutsfg...d-11242946.php

Old 02-21-2018, 02:13 PM

6,089 posts, read 5,039,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I believe they are.

More Homeless People Live in New York Than in Any Other City:
https://www.wnyc.org/story/more-home...ny-other-city/

Southern Nevada among nation’s highest in homeless population:
https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/...ss-population/

Despite money and effort, homelessness in SF as bad as ever:
https://www.sfchronicle.com/aboutsfg...d-11242946.php
Something similar between those all those cities, almost as if the same types of politicians are running things the same way.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:35 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,094,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I’m so illuminated after reading that drivel. So a bum (er, transient) is a person of the earth (and who loves that lifestyle) and ought not be confused with someone who is homeless.

Mmmhmmm

This reads like someone arguing there are 72 genders. Can I get urban dictionary definitions for RV, car, and van dwellers too? Are there special considerations for homeless who are trans, LGBT,homeless by choice, or people of color? No doubt you’ll educate me. I’m particularly interested in two spirit native Americans who are transients (not to be confused with homeless).
They should do a survey. Someone told me homeless like living outdoors. I disagreed and said they are homeless because they are broke (for the most part. ) But, I don't know, I never talk to them. I am good at photographing people candid, but I am not good at talking to people.

I asked a social worker / counselor to do a study and poll 1000 of L.A.'s homeless to see if they liked living on the street. She said she didn't have the time as she had a private practice and made good $. But you got to get someone like that that talks for a living to do a study.

I shot this first one while driving to the airport out my front windshield.

Hollywood Blvd...infrared flash photo taken in the dark

Yea, I never talk to people. highly skilled at candid work. Looks posed, nope 100% candid...that is skill!

Well, what exactly do you expect society to do about homeless in 2018? Are we each supposed to adopt a homeless person? I see homelessness only skyrocketing. Young people are too busy to bother with it. And in the big picture, many of them will end up homeless too.

Hollywood...infrared flash photo...candid

Sad state of affairs the richest country in the world. This was early 1970's. L.A. has been the capitol of homelessness for as long as I can remember. NYC, can't compare to L.A.

NYC is a cold place if you're broke!

Times Square...infrared flash taken in the dark.

Well, NYC has their own flavor of homeless people.

Last edited by slackercruster; 02-21-2018 at 02:49 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 02:45 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,668,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Something similar between those all those cities, almost as if the same types of politicians are running things the same way.
There is something else that those areas have in common and it has nothing to do with politics, lack of affordable housing.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/...crisis/522339/

Old 02-21-2018, 02:49 PM

872 posts, read 606,560 times
I would be amazed if he WASN'T released ASAP- the criminals are running the show now and control the quality of life in a lot of California and elsewhere... and besides.. he has much more harm to do on behalf of the "cause".
Whats amazing and pitiful is the people that really want these people out doing what they do and and the worse their condition the better...the liberals even get angry and defensive if you talk about placing the street people somewhere out of harms way...I guess I'm a broken record for now.....the left wing is pulling all the stops out ... how's that gas tax feeling ??

Old 02-21-2018, 03:16 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,235,240 times
Paula Perrette is very nice and was trying to help someone. Guess she learned the hard way she needs to keep her distance from the homeless.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
They should do a survey. Someone told me homeless like living outdoors. I disagreed and said they are homeless because they are broke (for the most part. ) But, I don't know
Myth: Homelessness is a choice. Most homeless people choose to live on the streets.

False. According to the Homeless Census in Santa Clara County, 93% of homeless respondents want affordable housing.

The biggest barrier to housing is affordable rent.

68% couldn’t afford rent
50% had no work or income
38% reported no available housing
20% had criminal records that prevented their access to housing

Downtown Streets Team - Ending Homelessness Through The Dignity Of Work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles