Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 07:37 PM

26,959 posts, read 27,236,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't buy it..not for burglaries anyway. Where do homeless people store what they steal, and how do they get it to the spot where they sleep?

It's pretty tough to carry a 60" flat screen down the street for several miles without being noticed.
Yes, it is. Still waiting on those statistics proving that the increase in burglaries is due to the homeless (other than the Van Nuys cop who says that he "believes...")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 07:38 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,626,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes, it is. Still waiting on those statistics proving that the increase in burglaries is due to the homeless (other than the Van Nuys cop who says that he "believes...")
What motivation would he have to lie about it ?

You can still other things besides 60” TVs too ..

Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,770,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Uh because there's a reason the guidelines were setup that way. California is an extremely RENTER friendly state, and you think the guidelines would be setup to NOT protect renters in the majority of cases?
How would you know?

You have never even lived in CA, or probably ever visited.

You don't own any property here.

You have some sick fascination with CA, sort of like someone who stalks a celebrity, except your celebrity isn't a person but a place.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
What motivation would he have to lie about it ?
No one said he lied; he's a cop from Van Nuys....his mindset comes from years of working the job. When the suspects aren't caught, it's easier to put the blame on someone else.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,770,903 times
Quote:
I don't buy it..not for burglaries anyway. Where do homeless people store what they steal, and how do they get it to the spot where they sleep? It's pretty tough to carry a 60" flat screen down the street for several miles without being noticed.
Come on.....LOL.

I have a lot of empathy for anyone who falls on hard times.

But did you read back what you wrote?

How do they get it to where they sleep? HELLO.....their shopping cart, do you see how much some homeless people have? It's not just a backpack.

SHOPPING CART.

Quote:
You can't vote to confine people who have not broken the law, or met the criteria for 72 hour detention pursuant to 5150 H&S. The Supreme Court has ruled on this and voters can't override the Supreme Court.

https://mentalillnesspolicy.org/lega...eme-court.html

PS It's not a "left wing issue"
Now here you're spot on.

We can't just cart people off, while the US is certainly on it's way to becoming a police state, not there yet.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:48 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,668,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
All these homeless advocates are in denial of the reality .
You can call me a homeless advocate all you want but it's not true. What I won't do is sit back and ignore these silly ideas about involuntarily confining the homeless in camps in the desert which is not only against California law, it's been found unconstitutional several times by the Supreme Court. And I'm not going to entertain the fantasy that everything in possession of a homeless person is stolen. There was an organization in Reno that rebuilt donated bicycles and gave them to the homeless, but I'm sure if you drove through Reno you would convince yourself that every bike in the possession of a homeless person is stolen.

Most of the homeless economy is based on barter, they do a lot of dumpster diving and if they find something useful they frequently trade it to other homeless people, that's how they get mattresses and plywood..not from burglaries Don't get me wrong, they aren't angels and there certainly are thieves and violent criminals among them but I don't buy what you are selling, that they are almost all out there committing crime.

There are two solutions to homelessness. You hire hundreds if not thousands more cops and chase the homeless around town 24/7 and write them tickets for whatever petty municipal code you can think of and then put them in jail for two or three days when they fail to show up to coure. Or you provide them with shelter. I think we should build tent encampments for them, but I'm sure there are other solutions that could be considered too.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:50 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,612,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Come on.....LOL.

How do they get it to where they sleep? HELLO.....their shopping cart, do you see how much some homeless people have? It's not just a backpack.

SHOPPING CART.

Now here you're spot on.

We can't just cart people off, while the US is certainly on it's way to becoming a police state, not there yet.
It's hard to believe that anyone thinks they are better off homeless. The homeless don't want to be that way - they just don't fit in anywhere for a variety of reasons - drugs, mental illness, penniless, whatever. There will always be some homeless people but the problem really calls for some tough-love solutions which certain advocates would call "police state" tactics.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Not as common to see this today. Anti-theft shopping carts are everywhere now....the wheels apparently lock when taken outside a certain perimeter.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,668,258 times
Quote:
Come on.....LOL.
SHOPPING CART.

Now here you're spot on.
The problem with the shopping cart/burglary theory is this; how long would it take for a neighbor or passerby to notice that there is a shopping cart by the front door of someone's home? Very few homeless people would be willing to take that kind of risk, it's far to obvious. My guess is that when the police are referring to burglaries being committed by transients they are talking about drug addicts who live in cars and occasionally stay in motels or sofa surf and have no permanent address.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,626,141 times
Quote:
You can call me a homeless advocate all you want but it's not true. What I won't do is sit back and ignore these silly ideas about involuntarily confining the homeless in camps in the desert which is not only against California law, it's been found unconstitutional several times by the Supreme Court. And I'm not going to entertain the fantasy that everything in possession of a homeless person is stolen. There was an organization in Reno that rebuilt donated bicycles and gave them to the homeless, but I'm sure if you drove through Reno you would convince yourself that every bike in the possession of a homeless person is stolen.

Most of the homeless economy is based on barter, they do a lot of dumpster diving and if they find something useful they frequently trade it to other homeless people, that's how they get mattresses and plywood..not from burglaries Don't get me wrong, they aren't angels and there certainly are thieves and violent criminals among them but I don't buy what you are selling, that they are almost all out there committing crime.

There are two solutions to homelessness. You hire hundreds if not thousands more cops and chase the homeless around town 24/7 and write them tickets for whatever petty municipal code you can think of and then put them in jail for two or three days when they fail to show up to coure. Or you provide them with shelter. I think we should build tent encampments for them, but I'm sure there are other solutions that could be considered too.
We are talking about 1000 bikes . They were all donated ? Sure .

I never said they were stealing mattresses and plywood.. that was in quote .

So you are for encampments but they can’t be in the antelope valley where land is affordable , why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles