Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 11:21 AM

6,089 posts, read 5,038,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So the new "purity test" is that in order to post on this forum you not only need to live in LA County you need to live in the city, where do you go after that; only people who live within 3 miles of skid row can discuss this issue?
No, but you should actually know about an area before you comment on it or propose drastic changes to policy or law.

By your own admission you don't have much time in SoCal. So you're opinion is based on ... limited experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 11:23 AM

42,842 posts, read 26,660,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
No, but you should actually know about an area before you comment on it or propose drastic changes to policy or law. By your own admission you don't have much time in SoCal. So you're opinion is based on ... limited experience.
You don't even live in California and you are going to wag your finger at me?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
You don't even live in California and you are going to wag your finger at me?
I pay more taxes than you in California.
I own more homes than you in California.
I'm a bigger "net benefit" fiscally to the state than you (don't take a pension, pay massive amounts of property tax).

I spend much more time in SoCal than you, I've spent more money than you helping the issue in SoCal, and actually lived in SoCal for over a decade. So yeah.

That's all besides the point however, you simply have very limited experience in Los Angeles and you're trying to propose policy changes about an area you have little experience or direct knowledge about.

I can go to OC right now, and talk with a dozen large private capital investment people, a couple of local politicians, and probably 100+ business contacts in the area. That's how connected I am to SoCal. can you say the same?

No you can't because you have never spent any appreciable time living there, you don't have many connections, and you don't drop lots of money in SoCal because you take a nice little government pension and live 500 miles away in Sacramento (which is cool, but let's state facts here).

Last edited by CaliRestoration; 02-22-2018 at 11:37 AM..

Old 02-22-2018, 11:55 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,770,903 times
Quote:
So the new "purity test" is that in order to post on this forum you not only need to live in LA County you need to live in the city, where do you go after that; only people who live within 3 miles of skid row can discuss this issue?

LOL...meow. You're being very childish.

The point is you don't live in the area, I grew up in NY, I went back there a couple of years ago.

I wouldn't comment on what life is like there now, or what the issues are, because I haven't lived there in 30 years, going back and visiting doesn't give one enough to go on.

For the THIRD TIME you can post anywhere you like, but you don't live here and never have(City of LA). Is that too difficult to understand?

i have been to Sacramento a couple of times, however if I went up there recently for a weekend, I wouldn't be commenting on what it's like to live there because I wouldn't know just from a visit.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:04 PM

21,903 posts, read 16,642,660 times
Quote:
I'm a bigger "net benefit" fiscally to the state than you (don't take a pension, pay massive amounts of property tax).

I spend much more time in SoCal than you, I've spent more money than you helping the issue in SoCal, and actually lived in SoCal for over a decade. So yeah.

That's all besides the point however, you simply have very limited experience in Los Angeles and you're trying to propose policy changes about an area you have little experience or direct knowledge about.

I can go to OC right now, and talk with a dozen large private capital investment people, a couple of local politicians, and probably 100+ business contacts in the area. That's how connected I am to SoCal. can you say the same?

No you can't because you have never spent any appreciable time living there, you don't have many connections, and you don't drop lots of money in SoCal because you take a nice little government pension and live 500 miles away in Sacramento (which is cool, but let's state facts here).
Well, that's a load! First off, this being the anonymous internet forum, um, anything any of us claim anecdotally about ourselves is, well, pretty meaningless. You may or may not have all those pretty gold stars next to your name. But the bottom line is in the verifiable contribution ... such as research, logical presentations of facts and history ... that sort of thing.

Considering that, 2Sleepy has contributed excellent, verifiable information about homlessness with regard to applicable laws, law enforcement limitations, and potential solutions. The same cannot be said for your contributions or jm1980’s contributions, for example.

The fact is: homelessness in LA is not a problem in any way unique to LA. The laws and limitations are the same everywhere. LA's problem being one of the highest concentrations of homeless in the nation doesn't change the root causes nor the potential solutions.

Persons such as 2Sleepy, CA4now, and myself who have taken a keen interest in the issues of homelessness - regardless of whether you choose to believe any anecdotal things we mention - regularly demonstrate our grasp of the issues by contributing links to research and reports on programs. And we do so in well ordered, logical presentations aimed at debunking counterproductive myths, educating readers who have a genuine interest (as opposed to those who simply enjoy trolling the issues), and illuminating what kinds of programs have worked / failed. The same cannot be said of those here who simply megaphone out indignation and ridicule without productive alternatives.

Meanwhile, those of us who are educated on the topic, and do care about the issue, tend to stand up and speak out on behalf of the goals of providing understanding and solutions wherever we encounter the issue being raised. If we see it on the LA forum, we'll confront it there as its misrepresentations anywhere tend to have a pernicious effect everywere.

Get it, bubba?

Old 02-22-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
LOL...meow. You're being very childish.

The point is you don't live in the area, I grew up in NY, I went back there a couple of years ago.

I wouldn't comment on what life is like there now, or what the issues are, because I haven't lived there in 30 years, going back and visiting doesn't give one enough to go on.

For the THIRD TIME you can post anywhere you like, but you don't live here and never have(City of LA). Is that too difficult to understand?

i have been to Sacramento a couple of times, however if I went up there recently for a weekend, I wouldn't be commenting on what it's like to live there because I wouldn't know just from a visit.
Speaking of “childishness” ... read my post above directed to Cali ... and take a seat.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:40 PM

42,842 posts, read 26,660,739 times
Quote:

I'm not sure how stories about how rich and well connected you are have anything to do with this thread?

Old 02-22-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how stories about how rich and well connected you are have anything to do with this thread?
Guessing his point was he thinks he has a “much bigger button” than you do (or I). That said, he didn't propose a single solution that I read. So pushing his “bigger button” remains “un-pushed” for now ... stay tuned.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

Persons such as 2Sleepy, CA4now, and myself who have taken a keen interest in the issues of homelessness -
Cool. So how much of your OWN money (not other people's money) have you dropped in support of eliminating homelessness?

Old 02-22-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Guessing his point was he thinks he has a “much bigger button” than you do (or I). That said, he didn't propose a single solution that I read. So pushing his “bigger button” remains “un-pushed” for now ... stay tuned.
Pretty much. People who actually live, have lived, and spent significant time to know an area have better insight than people who live 500 miles away.

I know, surprising right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles