Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 11:36 AM

3 posts, read 3,259 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We have a bit of a dilemma in our household. I recently got a job between DTLA and Alhambra. My partner is going to grad school in Claremont. We are currently living out by the school, but we both find it to be somewhat boring and it is going to be a pain for me to get to work. Any thoughts on areas in between DTLA and Claremont that would be a fairly reasonable commute for both of us? Pluses would be having some amount of interesting stuff to do, middle or high income, not totally homogeneous, etc. We moved from a northeastern city so the lack of cocktails, interesting dining, etc is painful. We don't need to live in the area where these things are but at least be closer...IE feels like a culinary dead zone. I am hoping this is not too much of a tall order.... I know it may be unrealistic to have all of these things in the SGV (at least that is the impression I am getting) but any sort of compromise is better than nothing. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 12:03 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,182,304 times
Claremont probably has more things to do than any other place between there and DTLA. As far as SGV goes Pasadena is a step up, but it's not really in between Claremont and DTLA.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:08 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,873,224 times
If you are looking for gastropubs, bars, steakhouses, and similar things, then Pasadena.

Otherwise, SGV is full of non-fancy, but awesome, Asian and Mexican restaurants--nothing like it in the States. You just gotta be more adventurous to enjoy what the area has to offer.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:31 PM

Oh yeah don't worry we love Chinese and Mexican restaurants (looking forward to getting some more dim sum). So what seems like the best option...West Covina? Living on the 210 makes things a little more difficulty given that the job is located right off the 10.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:32 PM

26,959 posts, read 27,229,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyw2342 View Post
My partner is going to grad school in Claremont. We are currently living out by the school, but we both find it to be somewhat boring.
Boring? There's a lot more to do there than there used to be! It'll never be Old Town Pasadena, but you can always move there. The other cities between Alhambra and Claremont are bedroom communities. West Covina definitely won't have what you're looking for.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Boring? There's a lot more to do there than there used to be! It'll never be Old Town Pasadena, but you can always move there. The other cities between Alhambra and Claremont are bedroom communities. West Covina definitely won't have what you're looking for.
Fair enough...I can definitely concede that Claremont at least has a lot more going for it than the surround communities. Perhaps I am being too hard on it too early. I am just used to having an abundance of gastropubs, fine dining etc...but it's not really a fair comparison given that Claremont is a college town. I know West Covina wouldn't exactly be what we had in mind, but my thought process was that it is very convenient to everything.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:03 PM

26,959 posts, read 27,229,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyw2342 View Post
I know West Covina wouldn't exactly be what we had in mind, but my thought process was that it is very convenient to everything.
Convenient, yes. You'll find a whole different type of person living in West Covina as opposed to Claremont. Definitely fewer curious and intellectual types in the former.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:45 AM

4,541 posts, read 10,683,403 times
I don't understand why Pasadena isn't an option.

Surface streets to the job in presumably the Cal State LA area...I'm thinking its a 30 minute morning drive. And a reverse commute to the college in the morning.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:18 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,695,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I don't understand why Pasadena isn't an option.

Surface streets to the job in presumably the Cal State LA area...I'm thinking its a 30 minute morning drive. And a reverse commute to the college in the morning.
I think you're right. Nowhere else is going to provide what they're looking for with any better commute. Just head down Fair Oaks/Fremont or Los Robles/Atlantic depending on where you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles