Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 11:05 PM

507 posts, read 811,592 times

Advertisements

When it comes to the westside I'm not the biggest fan of the area of Pico/405 and north, but the playa vista/palms/mar vista area is amazing, much more laid back and has more of a close knit community feeling to it, if I could afford that area I would be there right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 11:27 PM

5,872 posts, read 15,312,190 times
Imo off the main drags it's actually kind of nice and peaceful but on the main roads like Santa Monica, Wilshire, Sepulveda, Westwood, Pico, Olympic and a few others I don't find it that attractive. For some reason the main roads become so wide and unattractive and pedestrian unfriendly. It's really too bad the subway doesn't come through here. Way too many cars. I hate to say this but even the businesses along these stretches are not the best. Fast food joints, gas stations, check cashing, thrift shops, persian restaurants (not my favorite), car washes, palm readers, car dealerships and cheap motels. And the amount of homelessness took my breath away. Does anyone see what I'm talking about? Before I moved here that's all I kept hearing about; how nice the westside is. Like I said the residential neighborhoods are nice. It's just the main drags.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:34 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,666,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Imo off the main drags it's actually kind of nice and peaceful but on the main roads like Santa Monica, Wilshire, Sepulveda, Westwood, Pico, Olympic and a few others I don't find it that attractive. For some reason the main roads become so wide and unattractive and pedestrian unfriendly. It's really too bad the subway doesn't come through here. Way too many cars. I hate to say this but even the businesses along these stretches are not the best. Fast food joints, gas stations, check cashing, thrift shops, persian restaurants (not my favorite), car washes, palm readers, car dealerships and cheap motels. And the amount of homelessness took my breath away. Does anyone see what I'm talking about? Before I moved here that's all I kept hearing about; how nice the westside is. Like I said the residential neighborhoods are nice. It's just the main drags.
Yes - it's just too congested through there. I work near the 405 and Olympic. Lunchtime is a pain if you want to go somewhere that isn't within walking distance because of traffic and parking (many little restaurants in strip malls with a very limited parking, for example).

Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,964,813 times
The westside is boring, flat and ugly. The energy is weak especially when you exclude Venice and Santa Monica and I really don't like those areas either. A weird combination of yuppies, gang bangers, homeless people, hippies and rich white people. Just a weird area. Not my scene at all. I moved back to Sherman Oaks, a lot prettier, lots of green, lots of mountains. I'm a lot closer to nature. The 134 drive to Pasadena is absolutely beautiful, you do not get that on the westside. The only big deal about the westside is the beach. I don't care for the beach.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:32 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,916,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
I don't care for the beach.
What? Makes L.A. seem like kind of an odd choice then, no?

Sort of like somebody moving to Seattle declaring a distaste for trees.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:29 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,964,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
What? Makes L.A. seem like kind of an odd choice then, no?

Sort of like somebody moving to Seattle declaring a distaste for trees.
Bigdumbdumb, There's more to LA than the beach. There's a lot of work here. Not everyone goes to the beach. You have people living in Pasadena. I only lived on the westside to be closer to work. My friends and I never go to the beach. There's so much more to do. How do you not know this?

Old 12-28-2012, 07:38 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,861,034 times
Not everybody on the Westside is affluent/rich by any means, but the Westside has a greatly disproportionate share of LA County's rich. That drives a lot of the character of the Westside, and differentiates it from other parts of the city and the region.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,651,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
Not everybody on the Westside is affluent/rich by any means, but the Westside has a greatly disproportionate share of LA County's rich. That drives a lot of the character of the Westside, and differentiates it from other parts of the city and the region.
That's not always a good thing. It kind of perpetuates the stereotype that LA is yuppie-Land.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 PM

215 posts, read 492,565 times
It's not necessarily a bad thing either...

Last edited by hockfan86; 12-28-2012 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-28-2012, 10:10 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,666,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Bigdumbdumb, There's more to LA than the beach. There's a lot of work here. Not everyone goes to the beach. You have people living in Pasadena. I only lived on the westside to be closer to work. My friends and I never go to the beach. There's so much more to do. How do you not know this?
This is me, too. I like the canyons and hills, even the desert. The ocean is nice but it's too cold to swim in, parking and traffic are a nightmare, etc... I sometimes go to the beach on a nice day in the off season when parking if free and it's almost deserted. Just walk along for a while. I never go in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles