Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:22 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,651 times

Advertisements

I have noticed various people use different interpretations when using boundaries in L.A. When saying the East and West Side of L.A we all know what most people think west l.a is. but i have heard some people call east los angeles the typical east los on the other side of the river, i have also heard people use anything east of broadway or main the east side of l.a....which also some people call east side south central which includes south gate, watts, florence, etc, then you have some people who say they are from the south east los angeles area which includes whittier, etc....When you refer to the east side of los angeles which do you use? and west side as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 09:29 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
East of the furthest well defined down town style development. Although technically, East LA begins at the LA city limit, which may be a bit further east than that.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:32 AM

829 posts, read 2,955,651 times
now to you how far south and north does this extend to be considered the "East side"...all of l.a county/l.a city? what radius?

Old 06-14-2009, 10:47 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
i think the east side is the traditional area considered the mexican barrio. it is east of downtown. east of the LA river. from boyle heights north, to lincoln heights and into unincorporated east LA. montebello and whittier can be considered greater east LA. or the greater eastside.

as for HP, southgate and watts. thats the south side. the east side does not go further south than olypmic (accordning to me). maywood, florence and all those areas are on the south side.

south east of Downtown can also be these areas. but southeast also refers to the southeast part of the county. altho traditionally the "south east cities" have been, vernon, maywood, bell, Huntington Park, SG. (that might have to do with political affiliations, i.e. LAUSD)

when all else fails check the local taggin and see if it has an ES, WS or SS. SS would be south side.

but ill take tom la bonges word and agree that Echo park, Los feliz and silver lake ARE NOT THE EAST SIDE!

Old 06-15-2009, 08:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i think the east side is the traditional area considered the mexican barrio. it is east of downtown. east of the LA river. from boyle heights north, to lincoln heights and into unincorporated east LA. montebello and whittier can be considered greater east LA. or the greater eastside.

as for HP, southgate and watts. thats the south side. the east side does not go further south than olypmic (accordning to me). maywood, florence and all those areas are on the south side.

south east of Downtown can also be these areas. but southeast also refers to the southeast part of the county. altho traditionally the "south east cities" have been, vernon, maywood, bell, Huntington Park, SG. (that might have to do with political affiliations, i.e. LAUSD)

when all else fails check the local taggin and see if it has an ES, WS or SS. SS would be south side.

but ill take tom la bonges word and agree that Echo park, Los feliz and silver lake ARE NOT THE EAST SIDE!
I haven't lived in L.A for a zillion years and it sounds like you think the bounderies are about the same as I thought years ago. East L.A was about the other side of the river, yes, to the edge of Whittier. I would never think of Las Feliz, Echo Park or Silverlake as being west or east, just what they are, districts within the city. Same as I have never heard Eagle Rock referred to as north L.A. it has always been Eagle Rock. East L.A. has been known as the barrio for decades. Believe it or not, back in the 40s Boyle Heights was pretty much an Italian neighborhood.

Nita

Old 06-15-2009, 02:21 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,845,698 times
I like to think of the LA river as the dividing line... the faux eastside comprised of Los Feliz/Silver Lake/Echo Park is a new hipster invention from what I understand.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I like to think of the LA river as the dividing line... the faux eastside comprised of Los Feliz/Silver Lake/Echo Park is a new hipster invention from what I understand.
Well from my younger days, if someone said, I know a really nice area you may want to look into renting an apartment there and said, it was in East Los Angeles, I would certainly not listen to that person, so now they say, it is in east L.A. in the Silverlake district??Hello!!!! When we were still living there, you had the river, as you said as the break off point pretty much and the areas we are talking about were simply; the Silverlake District, the Las Feliz district and Echo Park, period, no district per se...

Nita

Old 06-15-2009, 05:05 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,340 times
Not that I agree with this, but I know of many people/fools who think the Eastside starts at LaCienega blvd, and some think it starts at LaBrea.
The newsmedia, who is made up of some of the biggest fools in the world, often calls those areas Eastside; that is including the miracle mile and fairfax district. Some idiots in the media call them west L.A. IMO west L.A. starts west of Beverly Hills. West LA definitely has a very different vibe than Miracle Mile and Fairfax.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:57 PM

188 posts, read 920,344 times
Do you guys use West LA and the Westside synonymously? I always thought of the area between Westwood and Santa Monica as "West LA" , while the Westside encompassed everything past say La Cienega.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:11 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
I have noticed various people use different interpretations when using boundaries in L.A. When saying the East and West Side of L.A we all know what most people think west l.a is. but i have heard some people call east los angeles the typical east los on the other side of the river, i have also heard people use anything east of broadway or main the east side of l.a....which also some people call east side south central which includes south gate, watts, florence, etc, then you have some people who say they are from the south east los angeles area which includes whittier, etc....When you refer to the east side of los angeles which do you use? and west side as well?
East side - East of the L.A. River
West side - East of La Brea
Everything in between is Central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles