Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:56 PM

5 posts, read 12,640 times

Advertisements

I currently attend Ole Miss (the University of Mississippi) and am ready to get out of the South. I was born and raised down here and am anticipating my transfer to the west coast. I have only been out to LA on vacation several times and I absolutely love it. However, I'm aware that it is VERY different from the Southeast. I am wondering how fellow southerners have fared in their transition to LA.

What are the major cultural differences? What are the hardest things to get used to? Are people fairly open and diverse? It's extremely cliquey here in Mississippi and everyone's the same and I just need a breathe of fresh air and a little diversity. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I'm excited, but at the same time I'm scared to death!! Thank yall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 03:46 PM

392 posts, read 1,860,223 times
I'm not from the south but I can tell you LA is EXTREMELY diverse and very open. It is going to be huge change for you.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:40 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,850,488 times
My comments in red.

What is your expected rental budget or housing price range?
Where do you expect to live?
What did you study in college?
What line of work are you in?
What do you expect your income to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc920 View Post
I am wondering how fellow southerners have fared in their transition to LA.

These days it is irrelevant. You will have no problem.

What are the major cultural differences?

Depends where you live.

What are the hardest things to get used to?

Extremely expensive. Heavy Traffic.

Are people fairly open and diverse?

Yes.

It's extremely cliquey here in Mississippi and everyone's the same and I just need a breathe of fresh air and a little diversity.

Same in LA, although I disagree that Mississippi lacks diversity.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:31 PM

I'm moving to LA FOR college. I'm transferring from the University of Mississippi, which lacks diversity.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:41 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,850,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpc920 View Post
I'm moving to LA FOR college. I'm transferring from the University of Mississippi, which lacks diversity.
You have checked out the tuition for people from out of state?

Old 10-14-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You have checked out the tuition for people from out of state?
yes--it is private and not of concern.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:39 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,028,833 times
Which colleges in the LA area are you considering attending?

Old 10-14-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Which colleges in the LA area are you considering attending?
Pepperdine.. I've also applied to UCLA

Old 10-14-2007, 12:03 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,028,833 times
Well, UCLA is much more diverse than Pepperdine. Pepperdine has a lot of wealthy students, a signifcant number from Texas, and a sprinkling of black, Latino, Asians and students of other races/ethnicities. Not gay friendly at all, so if you fit into that category you will have to keep your orientation on the down low. It's kind of like going to school in a sea of J. Crew and Abercrombie and Fitch catalog models who all happen to be registered Republicans.

Malibu is also kind of isolated so if you want to have an LA college experience, you will spend a lot of time in your car traveling into the city. That all having been said, Pepperdine has a beautiful campus, has small class sizes (so more access to professors), and a good academic reputation.

UCLA on the other hand is the polar opposite of Pepperdine. Huge campus, thousands of students of many races, ethnicites, and nationalities, liberal, very muticultural, gay friendly, national and worldwide academic reputation and stature, nationally acclaimed NCAA Division 1 sports program, located in the heart of LA's westside where every urban amenity and benefit are at your fingertip, etc., etc. Downside is that UCLA is less personal and you are one among many so you have to find your own way and niche.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:27 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,373,710 times
I didn't even know about Pepperdine being very Republican. Are you sure about that? And about the Texas thing? My aunt went there about 10-15 years ago and she is Jewish from NY. Has it changed a lot sine she went there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: