Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,903 times

Advertisements

Hey guys -

I'm a hs senior and I'm pretty sure I'm going to a CC this fall. I'm worried about the social life.
I'll primarily be taking classes at El Camino College in Torrance, anyone know how's the social/night life there? I'm pretty outgoing, I'll be joining clubs and all that jazz, but in the end it's a community college and I hear the social life is beyond dead. I really want the "freshman college experience". I went to a rigorous high school (ironic because I'm now enrolling in community college) and I do NOT want to spend the next 2+ years dreading school and desperately waiting to transfer.

I'll probably be taking classes at Santa Monica College too, anyone know how's the social life there? I do know it's better than El Camino, SMC is near the pier and 3rd street; it's almost in the heart of LA. I really like the vibe there, if it was my choice (parents think a 12 mile commute is too far?) and if it wasn't so impacted, I'd choose going there full time rather than El Camino.

So if anyone could give some insight on the social/night life of these areas or the schools, where students usually hang out at after class, good spots to meet new people, etc etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:41 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
I haven't the slightest idea about the nightlife in Torrance, however Santa Monica is very active and vibrant. Depending on the time frame however, the commute from Torrance to Santa Monica can be very congested. I wouldn't want to do that everyday.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:11 AM

581 posts, read 920,383 times
The Emeritus Campus of Santa Monica College is tiny. It's also not anywhere near the heart of LA. The main campus is at 20th and Pico. It's a great school and the campus has a much larger feel. But there's not much to do in the area since it's mostly residential south of Pico.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:23 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
You won't get the "Freshman College" experience at a CC. I equate the experience with dorm life and getting out of the watchful eyes of your parents so you can screw up. The people at local CCs won't be as clingy and lost as those moving off into a university. Many university actually encourage dorms for the 1st year. SMC as a party school is not the typical freshman experience.

If you do go to both of those CC, the drive south is much easier than the drive north during the rush hour. If you drive after 10 both ways are easy, but living in WLA will cost you a couple hundren a month more. Living down the street from El Camino is cheap compared to living near SMC.

As long as you are social, you can enjoy any school here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles