Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 7,451 times

Advertisements

I am a 16 year old junior in H.S. that plans on possibly relocating to the Los Angeles area for my first 2 years of college, or after college.

After visiting L.A. for the first time, i fell in love with the weather, geographical location, and the people. And yes, I was already aware that it was not anything like you'd see on TV.

I have been doing research on colleges/universities in Los Angeles.

In your opinion, what colleges have the most affordable out-of-state tuition and which colleges have the best value? I am fine being in one of the surrounding areas of LA. My parents will be paying my tuition, i am just wondering where i could get the best value.

I honestly feel like this is a realistic goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 12:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromTX View Post
I am a 16 year old junior in H.S. that plans on possibly relocating to the Los Angeles area for my first 2 years of college, or after college.

After visiting L.A. for the first time, i fell in love with the weather, geographical location, and the people. And yes, I was already aware that it was not anything like you'd see on TV.

In your opinion, what colleges have the most affordable out-of-state tuition and which colleges have the best value? I am fine being in one of the surrounding areas of LA. My parents will be paying my tuition, i am just wondering where i could get the best value.

you can almost go to a private university for the cost of a public one when you add Out of State tuition. Your best bet is to google the University system in California for prices. Is there any chance you will get a parial scholarship? both of our granddaughters were able to offset the out of state tuitions (not Ca) with scholarhips. They graduated from highschool in TX, one went to Co State University and the other AR>

Nita

Old 05-17-2009, 02:14 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,749,122 times
There's no easy answer, as your final cost of school will be impacted by level of financial aid, scholarships, etc. Does your high school have someone on staff - guidance counselor or anyone else - who can help point you in the right direction? You say your parents are paying for your tuition, but you'll still want to at least look into other forms of scholarships/aid.

In general, at this point - given that you're only 16 - it sounds like your best bet is to start by researching all colleges in the LA area, then figure out which ones fit your personal interests and needs best. Best value is going to depend in part on your goals. UCLA and USC are obviously big names, but there are many others out there, too (Occidental, Loyola Marymount, etc.). Am I reading that right that you only want to go two years in LA? In that case, think about the community college route. And realize that you'll need to be very on top of things because depending on where you go next your credits won't necessarily all transfer. I'd consider just planning on the full 4 years in LA or else wait to move here post-graduation, rather than planning from the start to do two years then move on.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:47 PM

Thank you for the helpful information. My parents and I have been researching schools in the University system in California, as well as the California State system.

We will be applying for scholarships and financial aid as well.

USC and UCLA are obviously great schools, which have very low acceptance rates.

Aside from what is covered with tuition, how much money would be needed to survive month-to-month in Los Angeles? I plan to live in on-campus housing, depending on what school I attend.

I don't want to put a burden on my parents, even though i'm sure we can find a way to afford it.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,800,025 times
Quote:
relocating to the Los Angeles area for my first 2 years of college

what colleges have the most affordable out-of-state tuition and which colleges have the best value?
Would it be cheaper to attend a community college for the first two years versus a university?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:19 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,421,468 times
Quote:

You have to understand that when you are in college you won't have time to go out and experience the city. You should speak with your college counselers and find out where the best school is for you. That might be in Boston, it might be in rural Ohio, or it might be in Los Angeles, but figure out what you want to do, then what school you can realistically get in, and then you can plan from there. Focus on the present.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-17-2009 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: Tone

Old 05-17-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
You have to understand that when you are in college you won't have time to go out and experience the city. You should speak with your college counselers and find out where the best school is for you. That might be in Boston, it might be in rural Ohio, or it might be in Los Angeles, but figure out what you want to do, then what school you can realistically get in, and then you can plan from there. Focus on the present.
Who said anything about going out and experience the city? I asked about colleges.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-17-2009 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: Tone

Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Who said anything about going out and experience the city? I asked about colleges.
good for you. No matter what you are trying to achieve in college you will be able to do that in California.

Stick with your plan, but do look at assistance if you qualify..

Nita

Old 05-24-2009, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,340 times
If the money is not the issue, I would go to USC and live in the area. If I had to start things over, I'd definitely love to be a Trojan vs. Bruin. I think UCLA is over rated!! Don't get me wrong, UCLA us a great school also!That said, go to USC, if not go to SMC for 2 years and transfer to USC or UCLA.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudos77 View Post
If the money is not the issue, I would go to USC and live in the area. If I had to start things over, I'd definitely love to be a Trojan vs. Bruin. I think UCLA is over rated!! Don't get me wrong, UCLA us a great school also!That said, go to USC, if not go to SMC for 2 years and transfer to USC or UCLA.
and they have great football teams. Sorry, I couldn't resist, I happen to be a huge Trojan fan.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: