Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 AM

21 posts, read 83,208 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or does LA have the world's most ridiculously loud garbage trucks? I've lived in Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Philadelphia and Boston. Never in the back of buildings, always up front, facing the street just feet away from the curb and I've never been bothered or rarely even heard the garbage trucks. I move to Los Angeles, into a super quiet neighborhood and just get destroyed once a week at 7AM clockwork. It's like there's a monster truck demolition derby going on outside. I imagine if transformers were real this is what it would sound like when they fight.

I tried doing a search online and apparently nobody seems to find these automatic trucks with the claw to be a nuisance. The hydraulics or whatever it is of that claw grabbing the trash can and dumping it is deafening and I'm nowhere near the curb! I can only imagine what it must sound like if you are.

Am I crazy? Am I the only one that cant handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 10:02 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,189,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhb View Post
I imagine if transformers were real this is what it would sound like when they fight.
HAHAHA!!!! You just made my morning.

As to your question, I have no idea. Luckily for me, I'm always gone for work when the garbage trucks come around. They are loud though, but I figured it was the same everywhere.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:25 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times
that sounds like bulk pick up...they come once a month here in South Florida to pick up larger items or large mounds of debris. Again, only once a month here. And yes, those large claws hitting the pavement are like artillery shells going off. Insane in the membrane !

Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,748 times
Quote:
It's like there's a monster truck demolition derby going on outside. I imagine if transformers were real this is what it would sound like when they fight.

LOL This made me laugh!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:31 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Not only are they load, the patters the trucks follow ensure there is no end. (At least they are CNG now, no more fumes.)

Typical truck pattern

Trash truck up one side of the street

then 20 minutes later

Recycled truck up one side of the street

then 30 minutes later

Lawn/green waste truck up on side of the street

then 15 minutes later

trash truck down the other side of the street

then 20 minutes later

Recycled truck down the other side of the street

then 10 minutes later

Green/yard waste truck down the other side of the street.

So, you get to hear the engines and air brakes and banging and back up beeps six different times.

After that one house's gardner comes with mowers, weed whackers and blowers

then an hour later

an other house's gardener comes.

It's tough being a stay at home mom.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:01 AM

749 posts, read 1,862,241 times
Our passenger bus fleet runs on natural gas which makes them pretty loud.

I wonder if the garbage trucks do too...??

Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post

Some are CNG but I don't think that makes them louder - just cleaner.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:19 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Our trucks in Santa Monica are loud as well.

Its my guess that the noise difference comes with the differences in trash collection here, versus where you've lived in the past. The east coast cities you mentioned usually have smaller "personal" style trash bins. Its been awhile since i've had to take out trash in Manhattan, but I don't think they use the trucks that "lift" the trash can. This is probably what makes ours so loud.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:39 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Is it just me or does LA have the world's most ridiculously loud garbage trucks?

Am I crazy? Am I the only one that cant handle this?
You are crazy. You can't handle the truth!!!

Could it be that your LA neighborhood is quieter than your old neighborhoods, and that the trucks are louder only by contrast with the usual quiet?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:57 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post

I think most of them are diesel.

A lot of them are pretty old; those old Detroit Diesel engines last for decades, and well, LA does have a shortfall

When we first moved there, my ex and I were floored at how for all of LA's issues with air and all these measures in place to keep emissions down (I'm a tuner and so I had a blast trying to keep my car smogged and CHP-friendly with a GT40 turbo and rough-idling cams in there), they had trash trucks and school busses that spewed out a 20x30 foot cloud of soot whenever they went to accelerate.

It's kind of frustrating when you've got some surly cop telling you that your car that still gets 28mpg on the freeway and still passes emissions can't be registered because it has a few bolt-on parts when every morning, diesel fumes kill the remaining mourning doves and hummingbirds when the bus comes to pick up the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles