Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:17 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,532,036 times

Advertisements

I complained this January about the backup beepers used by garbage trucks. After mid-Feb, I stopped hearing the beepers in the mornings. I don't know why. But last week I started hearing it again, around 730 AM.

I sleep different hours so it's a problem. Ear plugs don't help me.

I called Athens Services and two people talked with me, and basically said it's for safety and they'd see what they can do. After that I've been hearing it at 8 AM - I don't know if that's because of my complaint.

I asked them why I heard the beeping so much in Jan-Feb but not again until now. They had no idea. They said something about sometimes a smaller vehicle needs to be sent up a driveway or into a garage if a dumpster is heavier than usual.

My main complaint is that the beepers are for the safety of people right behind the truck - but it's loud enough to wake people up in the next building.

I even complained to the Pasadena police who were polite but again, it's the law and it's for safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 02:42 PM

497 posts, read 1,504,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I complained this January about the backup beepers used by garbage trucks. After mid-Feb, I stopped hearing the beepers in the mornings. I don't know why. But last week I started hearing it again, around 730 AM.

I called Athens Services and two people talked with me, and basically said it's for safety and they'd see what they can do. After that I've been hearing it at 8 AM - I don't know if that's because of my complaint.

I asked them why I heard the beeping so much in Jan-Feb but not again until now. They had no idea. They said something about sometimes a smaller vehicle needs to be sent up a driveway or into a garage if a dumpster is heavier than usual.

My main complaint is that the beepers are for the safety of people right behind the truck - but it's loud enough to wake people up in the next building.

I even complained to the Pasadena police who were polite but again, it's the law and it's for safety.
Is this city trash collection or a private company. I would go out there on the "day of" and see what is happening and maybe talk to the driver.
I think they can tone down the beeping volume. They may have had a different truck without the back up alert or a better version. Some times all it takes is a request that they pick up the dumpster, spin and drive it out forward rather than back it out.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
Sorry but most ppl with day jobs are up & about by 7:30am. From my perspective I'd rather have garbage trucks obstructing alley's & narrow 2-lane roads before the commuting hour. Last week I was stuck in a long line of cars in the height of rush hour in Westwood waiting for a trash collector to move a couple big dumpsters from adjoining apartment complexes. It was a 20 min nightmare!

Old 09-30-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post
Is this city trash collection or a private company. I would go out there on the "day of" and see what is happening and maybe talk to the driver.
I think they can tone down the beeping volume. They may have had a different truck without the back up alert or a better version. Some times all it takes is a request that they pick up the dumpster, spin and drive it out forward rather than back it out.
I think there is a law that says you can't decrease the beeper volume.

Sometimes I hear the truck in the building next to mine. My bedroom is very close to it.

Sometimes I hear different beeping - slightly different tones, and sometimes it fades in. Other times it sounds exactly like my alarm clock.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:22 PM

497 posts, read 1,504,154 times
Quote:
I think there is a law that says you can't decrease the beeper volume.

Sometimes I hear the truck in the building next to mine. My bedroom is very close to it.

Sometimes I hear different beeping - slightly different tones, and sometimes it fades in. Other times it sounds exactly like my alarm clock.

Then hopefully they can work something out. I know that the fork lift used in many bldgs can spin around pretty easily. It may just be a simple request to the driver to lift and spin....

Old 09-30-2011, 05:46 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:

I don't think there's much you can do short of taking your complaint to the State and making a successful argument that your sleep is more important than safety.

Quote:
Horns or Warning Devices
V C Section 27000 Horns or Warning Devices

(b) A refuse or garbage truck shall be equipped with an automatic backup audible alarm that sounds on backing and is capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 100 feet or shall be equipped with an automatic backup device that is in good working order, located at the rear of the vehicle and that immediately applies the service brake of the vehicle on contact by the vehicle with any obstruction to the rear. The backup device or alarm shall also be capable of operating automatically when the vehicle is in neutral or a forward gear but rolls backward.

Source: V C Section 27000 Horns or Warning Devices

Old 09-30-2011, 08:21 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Put a fan or a white noise machine between you and the window.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:46 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
as above - read 2700 (b) cvc. Changing the cvc isn't easy. I wish you luck.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
How long does this noise last? It would seem that they would be off to other places after a while.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:47 PM

This morning I heard beeping and it might have been delivery trucks one block east of me.
Hence I'm pretty much powerless to complain.

I still think the beepers are louder than they really need to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles