Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:21 PM

8,318 posts, read 13,447,487 times

Advertisements

They have to invent hybrid engines so they can even run on random trash/waste like the car in Back2theFuture3. At that point, they really wouldn't be collecting anything other than driving around re-fueling I suppose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 09:29 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
This is funny but true. The trouble with garbage day in California is that every house has 3 different garbage cans. The black containers are for regular garbage; the blue are for paper\ recycled garbage and the green containers for grass cuttings. That means 3 different garbage trucks that, of-course come hours apart and go up one side of the street and come back for the other side. The trucks speed between each group of cans even if it is only a few feet then hit their loud brakes, the mechanical arm drops the cans back onto the street where they hit other cans and fall over, dogs are barking everywhere. Anyone expecting to sleep in on garbage day better forget it.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
I wish they wouldn't start so early. I can hear them several blocks away shortly after 6 a.m. and the first truck often does my street before 7 a.m. I understand they have a long day and lots of work to do but I wish they could stay out of residential streets until after 7 a.m.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I wish they wouldn't start so early. I can hear them several blocks away shortly after 6 a.m. and the first truck often does my street before 7 a.m. I understand they have a long day and lots of work to do but I wish they could stay out of residential streets until after 7 a.m.
Agree, it's like an early alarm clock. I can hear the trucks blocks away even before the sun comes up. I wonder how it is in other parts of the nation?

Old 11-06-2010, 03:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,160 times
I wake up to loud trucks all the time, too.

I feel like its natural now, I would miss them if they left actually.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:54 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
This is funny but true. The trouble with garbage day in California is that every house has 3 different garbage cans.
Some of us have dumpsters... 1 visit a week from the garbaaaawge trook, anywhere between 0900 and 1400. And no pesky sorting.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Agree, it's like an early alarm clock. I can hear the trucks blocks away even before the sun comes up. I wonder how it is in other parts of the nation?
Here we have one container and it's picked up at a civilized 8:30 a.m. on Monday, except for holidays.

In downtown Sacramento the trash and recycle are picked up on one side of the street one day, on the other side of the street another day and bins are picked up in the alleys on yet another day. Pick-up used to start at about 6:00 a.m. and, yes, those trucks are noisy. They also pick up on holidays, all of them, if that's your normal trash day.

What was equally annoying was the homeless rummaging through the recycle containers all night long before pick-up mornings, and their grocery carts rattling and crashing along the streets, sidewalks and alleys; not to mention loud fights over the "treasures."

Thank God I'm a country boy!

Old 11-06-2010, 10:18 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What was equally annoying was the homeless rummaging through the recycle containers all night long before pick-up mornings, and their grocery carts rattling and crashing along the streets, sidewalks and alleys; not to mention loud fights over the "treasures."
That's another reason the early trucks annoy me, because if I want to put my trash out at the last minute before the trucks come that means hauling them out in the pre-dawn morning before 7:00, sometimes before 6:30 if the trucks sound like they're near. I'd rather be doing this at 7:30... Or really I'd rather that the bums didn't sort through my trash, but if I put it out the night before then that's going to happen.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Some of us have dumpsters... 1 visit a week from the garbaaaawge trook, anywhere between 0900 and 1400. And no pesky sorting.
I thought only stores and restaurants didn't have to sort the garbage?

Old 11-06-2010, 08:03 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
I started working from my apartment this year and the gardeners and garbage trucks are pretty annoying. I have to hope nobody calls when the gardeners are making a racket outside my window. I have no idea why they need to mow the lawn twice a week either. The garbage trucks inevitably set of 3-4 car alarms.

BTW, I have to assume that Southern California's failure to embrace the concept of alleys is a big part of it. Growing up in suburban Chicago I never noticed the garbage trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles