Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:41 AM

4,416 posts, read 5,148,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydin View Post
Is anybody racist against the Turks? I think they're loved by all people..
I think Turks are considered caucasian, are they not? Whites in the Tri-state area should definely embrace other whites as without them, they would litterally be overrun by non-whites in a short period of time.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:28 AM

15 posts, read 103,721 times
Default Turks

Turks are considered White. I don't care what Greeks think about Turks.. they don't count.. there's only 14 million of them in the whole world

Old 05-15-2007, 03:41 PM

36 posts, read 194,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
It's fine, Joe, to hate the houses that these people are building, you can even hate the people for all I care.

What I'm hoping you aren't implying is that you "hate" all Asians because of the actions of these particular Asians you do hate.

You say that you judge people by their actions and not by race so if you're not judging all Asians by the actions of these few (or many, as may be the case), then I have respect for you.

However, if you're implying that all Asians have bad taste, have no respect for American culture, and make horrible neighbors, just because what you've witnessed with the cheap buildings issue, then I would tend to believe you and all others who may think that way could very well be racist.

All I can hope is that you'll judge a person on an individual basis and not a whole group or entire race on the actions of a few (or quite a few as the case may be).

If we can all do that, then maybe there's some hope after all.

Thanks.

--'rocco
Kudos to that rocco! Well clear logic reasoning!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 AM

65 posts, read 462,116 times
I'm sure the poor OP has no idea how his innocent question so quickly degenerated into these shamefully bigotted responses. I applaud those of you who tried to keep some level of civility in this thread.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with celebrating one's own culture, whether it be Irish, Italian, Chinese, Indian, or Nigerian... Many people of ethnic backgrounds frequent their "own" groceries and restaurants because it is comforting and familiar to them. This is not dissimilar to an "American" feeling a warm nostalgia for mac-n-cheese or the Sunday night meatloaf that mom used to make. Racism is about stereotyping entire groups of people, viewing them differently, and excluding them in someway.

New York is such a wonderfully amazing conglomeration of hundreds of different cultures and peoples. Most of these recently-immigrant groups, although they may appear to "stick to their own kind", actually welcome outsiders into their culture. The vast majority that I've encountered are far from racist and do not look down upon others who are different from them. That's what I love about New York - walking down Arthur Ave and having an Italian educate me on different mozzarellas, then going to Jackson Heights and having an Indian proudly explain the various curries to me, then visiting a Mexican grocer for those elusive mole spices... You get my point. Someone had made a comment about Asian having their own churches. Well, I've been to a service at such a church once. As expected, there were 95% Asians with a few "whites" who were obviously regulars. From what I can tell, they were embraced as warmly and felt as welcome there as anyone else.

Unless you're American-Indian, we're ALL immigrants or descents of immigrants. Why can't we just celebrate our differences and embrace our commonalities as people... That said, OP has asked a perfected reasonable question about how his/her little daughter will fare in GC; some of you barracuda's comments probably scared him off!

Old 08-07-2007, 01:13 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,692 times
Viva la France!

Old 08-07-2007, 05:21 PM

123 posts, read 647,327 times
What an...interesting thread. What a weird hijacking of a reasonable inquiry.

For the record I grew up in GC and work there now. My best friend was Korean American. There are a number of Asians, and Asian-Americans, as well as Asian/Other families. It's not a huge community or anything, but believe me you'll be fine. You won't stand out. I 've worked there for a number of years, and really, most people are friendly and pretty down to earth, big bucks and all. That's not to say your kids won't grow up to have a huge sense of entitlement , but if you're nice and friendly, people will be in turn.

Unless of course you're planning to build a big, brick monstrosity, then, yes, it will get ugly

Old 11-29-2007, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,414 times
It seems as if this thread has been debated to death, but I thought I should add my two cents in regards to Sixtytwo’s original post. I am an Asian American who grew up in Garden City and went through the GC school district from 1st grade on.

I understand why people in well-to-do communities are worried and turn off by immigrants or “foreigners” moving in. But you also have to realize that Garden City is an affluent town, and the “foreigners” moving in there are not the type to bring that kind of baggage that stereotypical people assume. My family has lived there for almost 20 years, and our houses have never looked like a shack. And, to boot, we only have 1 family residing in it.

The negative: I’ve definitely experience prejudice growing up there. But my family has grown thicker skin from it and you have to realize that prejudice will likely occur anywhere you move. My first experience of prejudice was when I was in elementary school, which is why I remember it so clearly. Another male classmate was taunting me during recess that “Chinese grow on cheese” (repeated 10 times). As harmless as that remark is, that’s pretty shocking to a 6 year old who didn’t know that race mattered (yes, was I in for a shock, huh?). There were occasional comments about “chinky eyes” and the typical things, but that’ll happen anywhere you go. One ‘typical’ comment that stands out in my mind (bc of its source) came from a high school teacher asking me if I spoke English. I didn’t respond very graciously, “well, considering I was born here, I might know a bit by now” (I was 17). That’s not to say that everyone in GC is like that; there’s just those occasional “bad apples” who are arrogant and will probably never budge their opinions.

The positive: In general, people are nice, as long as you look, dress, and talk like Garden City-ers do. As shallow as that sounds, it’s the truth and comes from personal experience. It’s a great place to grow up in since it’s safe and everything you need is so local. It is not diverse, but as I still visit from time to time, I sense people are becoming more racially open-minded. As others have mentioned, as long as you’re friendly and carry yourself well, you’ll do just fine there. Overall, my experience has been pretty good growing up in GC. My parents who still reside there are very content.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:31 AM

706 posts, read 3,763,194 times
Folks have a right to live where they like for sure, but I too wonder why choose a 96% White population with the concern of how your child will be treated.

As a Black woman, I don't need to live in a predominantly Black neighborhood, rather prefer diversity.

I would not, however, subject my child to a neighborhood and schools where hardly anybody looks like him.

That said, Asians, in school, are subject to stereotypes, however not so much negative. They're more often expected to do very well based on a stereotype that "all Asians get excellent grades".

Old 12-01-2007, 01:08 PM

26 posts, read 107,985 times
For all of you who don't like people of other races, it will be harder for all of you, to live in the U.S in the fiture, because in the future the country will get more diverse, they even predict the people who are the minority right now, will be the majority. I guess some of you will need to go live in Europe or where ever your race origin is.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:31 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,875 times
Default Why do non-Whites want to live in White areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxima20 View Post
For all of you who don't like people of other races, it will be harder for all of you, to live in the U.S in the fiture, because in the future the country will get more diverse, they even predict the people who are the minority right now, will be the majority. I guess some of you will need to go live in Europe or where ever your race origin is.
She is right.

By as early as 2040 non-Hispanic Whites will be less than 50% of the population.
By 2060 non-Hispanic Whites will be about 45% of the population.

But I have a question.

Whites don't like to live with other races generally.

So why do non-Whites want to live in White areas?

Wouldn't Asians, Blacks and Hispanic prefer to be with their own kind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island