Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 03:47 PM

80 posts, read 498,056 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Garden City. Can anyone tell me about St.Joseph's School. How does it compare to the Garden City Public Schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2007, 12:24 AM

5 posts, read 21,157 times
I am from Garden City went to St. Joseph school for all 8 years. This was several years ago, but it was a good school back then. I went there with about 350 or so other kids and St. Joe's was a pretty good school for its size, probably competitive as good as Garden City Public Schools, which are highly ranked. If you go there, it's pretty easy to get into other Catholic high schools, which are good establishments, probably moreso than you're able to from the public schools. They didn't have too many serious attempts at sports but the village has all sorts of sports teams for kids his age so that shouldn't be a problem. I haven't been back there since I attended (5 years ago), so a lot could've changed, but ask me if you have any general questions about the town/school and I can probably answer them.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Garden City

Thank you. Do they have a gifted child program? My oldest daughter is in a gifted child program in our district. She goes to catholic school, but is bused once a week to the public school for the program. I am happy to hear that you had a good exeperience with St. Joe's. If we find a house in Garden City we are seriously considering sending both our girls to that school. Would I be to nosey to ask where she went to high school?

Old 02-10-2007, 05:28 AM

2 posts, read 11,382 times
Carolyn,

I have three children who attend St Joseph's School currently. We have been in the school since 2003. There is no gifted program that I know of, but certainly that is not to say that it doesn't exist. I would be happy to answer any of your questions, but I will be honest and tell you that since the new admninistrator came in last year, morale -among many other things in the school- have gone down significantly. We have seriously considered taking our children out of the school on several different occasions in the past year and a half... a thought that never once entered our minds prior to that.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:44 PM

Default St. Josephs

Thank you for letting me know, Do you think the school will turn around? How do you think St. Joe's compares to the Garden City public schools?

Old 02-18-2007, 09:57 AM

Default St. Joseph's in Garden City

Quote:
Originally Posted by just me:) View Post
Carolyn,

I have three children who attend St Joseph's School currently. We have been in the school since 2003. There is no gifted program that I know of, but certainly that is not to say that it doesn't exist. I would be happy to answer any of your questions, but I will be honest and tell you that since the new admninistrator came in last year, morale -among many other things in the school- have gone down significantly. We have seriously considered taking our children out of the school on several different occasions in the past year and a half... a thought that never once entered our minds prior to that.
Can you tell me anything about the public schools. Would you consider sending your children to the Garden City schools?

Old 02-20-2007, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 11,382 times
There are quite a few perks about living in Garden City and the public school system is one of them! I have been here only a few years and my kids have been at St Joseph's the whole time, so I can't tell you anything about the public schools from first hand experience... only "what I have heard." As for St Joseph changing for the better... sadly, I do not see that happening as long as the current administrator remains in the school.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:08 AM

Default St. Joseph's.

That is to bad!!. We will have to look into the public schools. We are also considering Rockville Centre. I heard St. Agnes is a good school. We are looking at houses in both towns. There is so much to think about. We like Garden City,but we really wanted to keep our girls in catholic school.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,604 times
Default garden city

Hello Carolyn,

For some reason, I was banned from my just me account, so I had to create this one.

I understand that St. Agnes in Rockville Centre is a very good school. (The diocese is located there, which is an added bonus.) The town itself is nice as well. I am there frequently, as it's a very short drive from Garden City. I know nothing about the public schools there, though.
As for Garden City, the GC area has two Catholic schools in addition to St Joseph's. St. Anne's and St. Bridgid's. I have known a few people whose children have attended both schools and they were all very pleased with their experiences. I'm not sure how old your girls are, but there are also several Catholic High Schools in the "GC area" that are excellent!

Good luck in this endeavor. I have been there before and I understand how stresful it can be when trying to find the BEST opportunities for your children.
In case I get "banned" again, feel free to email me at: kindredspirit112@aol.com. Take care and I hope you will find what's right for you and your family.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Garden City

Thanks for the information. Where is St. Bridgids in Garden City? I have never heard of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island