Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:20 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinquick View Post
he seems mad that LIJ is hiring all these mid eastern people. I think they hire whoever is qualified for the positions, it just so happens that they're mid eastern or indian or whatever.
Chain migration always plays a role in stuff like this. Why do you think all of the taxi drivers in the NYC area are either South Asian (Pakistani/Indian/Bangla) or Nigerian? Are only these ethnicities capable of driving cabs? Absolutely not.

What happens is that usually a couple of adventurous people from these countries first arrive here, become very successful at what they do and write home to their relatives or visit them and tell them about how great it is to be a taxi driver, run a 7-11, own a laundrymat, be a super in an apartment building, ____ etc. As a result some of this guy's friends and relatives come over and do the same thing. Then all of these new people tell all of their friends and relatives and the cycle repeats itself.

This wouldn't be a problem at all if it weren't for today's open door's policy of immigration. So as a result of this country's policies neighborhoods like Flushing become 90% Korean/Chinese in a couple of decades, Jackson Heights becomes all South Asian, and the Bronx becomes half Puerto Rican in 50 years.

This has a lot more to do with chain migration and an open doors policy of immigration than it has to do with the most qualified person getting the job.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:18 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Chain migration always plays a role in stuff like this. Why do you think all of the taxi drivers in the NYC area are either South Asian (Pakistani/Indian/Bangla) or Nigerian? Are only these ethnicities capable of driving cabs? Absolutely not.

What happens is that usually a couple of adventurous people from these countries first arrive here, become very successful at what they do and write home to their relatives or visit them and tell them about how great it is to be a taxi driver, run a 7-11, own a laundrymat, be a super in an apartment building, ____ etc. As a result some of this guy's friends and relatives come over and do the same thing. Then all of these new people tell all of their friends and relatives and the cycle repeats itself.

This wouldn't be a problem at all if it weren't for today's open door's policy of immigration. So as a result of this country's policies neighborhoods like Flushing become 90% Korean/Chinese in a couple of decades, Jackson Heights becomes all South Asian, and the Bronx becomes half Puerto Rican in 50 years.

This has a lot more to do with chain migration and an open doors policy of immigration than it has to do with the most qualified person getting the job.
Dude you came off really ignorant right now. Puerto Ricans aren't considered immigrants remember. Puerto Rico is part of the U.S. So they aren't really immigrating when they come to the U.S. Migrating yes, but not immigrating, so you can't really compare their situation to Asians coming here.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:18 AM

19 posts, read 96,153 times
Quote:
.... a taxi driver, run a 7-11, own a laundrymat, be a super in an apartment building, ____ etc. As a result some of this guy's friends and relatives come over and do the same thing. Then all of these new people tell all of their friends and relatives and the cycle repeats itself.

are you going to run 7eleven? the taxi drivers in nyc have to study maps and take a test from what i know. that means that they are the people that go out and get the taxi jobs. if it wasn't for the indians in manhattan, who would drive these cabs? its not like people are rushing out there to get jobs. as for a laudromat, it takes a good chunk of change to start one of those. basically what i'm saying is that immigrants come and adapt to the american culture's way of making money (taxis, laundromats, supers, etc... who care if its because one of their relatives told them to come. to me, their just doing their part to survive. i don't see people born in nyc rushing to become a yellow cab driver.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder94 View Post
Sorry Movin gotta agree with Joe..been doing business throughout queens and LI for 27 years..you need to take some time and see what's going on.
I started in Flushing enter brick bombshells,went to Fresh Meadows where they took the trees,headed out to Little Neck and got surrounded by a million signs not one written in english,proceeded to Great Neck..I think Joe has made it clear on what goes on in that town..and now I am currently in New Hyde Park 1 of of the only white families left on the block,trying to figure out how many more families can they fit into 1 house? That's alright though at least I get to pay high taxes and still get to sit in traffic for hours on Lakeville Rd.
Isn't New Hyde Park still mostly a white town? I've been around there, seemed pretty white to me.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:23 AM

It seems like a lot of people have gripes with the goverment, in terms of not having enough building restrictions, letting people cut trees, taxes, etc. Instead of focusing their anger at the mostly white government that represents them, they pick easy targets, asian immigrants. Come on, that's kinda lame.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:08 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Isn't New Hyde Park still mostly a white town? I've been around there, seemed pretty white to me.
BARELY white

Old 05-11-2007, 09:11 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinquick View Post
are you going to run 7eleven? the taxi drivers in nyc have to study maps and take a test from what i know. that means that they are the people that go out and get the taxi jobs. if it wasn't for the indians in manhattan, who would drive these cabs?
Give me a break on this one. You make it sound like whites or americans are above these jobs. I think at this point, americans dont do these jobs b.c the foreigners took over them.

PS - My dad is white and used to drive a yellow cab when I was a kid. There is someone for EVERY job.
Thats like saying, who will work for minimum wage? Plenty of Americans do.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bhere View Post
BARELY white
I've never understood how white people always complain when immigrants move into their towns and "take over." They (white people) don't do anything except sell and move out. Don't they realize that by selling and getting out they are facilitating the "take over."

Last edited by Keeper; 03-19-2008 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: name change

Old 05-11-2007, 01:17 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Dude you came off really ignorant right now. Puerto Ricans aren't considered immigrants remember. Puerto Rico is part of the U.S. So they aren't really immigrating when they come to the U.S. Migrating yes, but not immigrating, so you can't really compare their situation to Asians coming here.

Yeah yeah, Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States (somewhat). In my mind there isn't really any difference between someone coming to the US from Puerto Rico than there is for someone coming from the Dominican Republic or Colombia. I suppose that they would eat mangu or empanadas instead of chuchifritos though if they were from those countries.

Even though they might technically be part of the United States they certainly succeed in spearating themselves from the whole of American culture by speaking a different language, eating different foods, and acting like ghetto thugs.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah yeah, Puerto Rico is a territory of the United States (somewhat). In my mind there isn't really any difference between someone coming to the US from Puerto Rico than there is for someone coming from the Dominican Republic or Colombia. I suppose that they would eat mangu or empanadas instead of chuchifritos though if they were from those countries.

Even though they might technically be part of the United States they certainly succeed in spearating themselves from the whole of American culture by speaking a different language, eating different foods, and acting like ghetto thugs.
Dude they come to the U.S. as citizens, and can come and go as they please, that is a huge difference. What the hell are you talking about?

Plus your talking from your very narrow experience with Puerto Ricans here in the NYC area. Puerto Ricans have been in the U.S for years now. A lot of them have left the NYC area and are all over the U.S.

Also a lot of Puerto Ricans I know do not even know Spanish and have barely been to P.R. They are some of the most assimilated Latinos in the U.S.

And since when does eating different types of food make you unamerican. So to eat American you have to eat hot dogs and burgers every day with apple pie for dessert? What exactly is American food anyway? Huh? What a dumb thing to say mead.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-11-2007 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island