Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:59 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times

Advertisements

Because its not 1AM and its not a residential area. Its the middle of the day and in a public area. If it was a fleet of Lamborghini's or classic cars im sure it wouldn't be a problem for you. You look at these people as a lower class than you. Its not their bikes, its the people who are riding them. You have made that abundantly clear.

Port Jefferson Village is a residential area. More so than Roslyn Estates because it is more densely populated..

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 06:02 PM

432 posts, read 1,594,078 times
3 serious questions, please don't pick a fight. THank you.

1. If 'safety' is really the reason for you guys to install your aftermarket loud pipes, why most of the Harley riders don't wear a DOT approved helmet but a weak, plastic Harley chopper helmet? I've seen so many Harley riders even ride with no helmets in some states, but of course they have the loudest pipes on this planet.

2. If safety is really heart of the issue, why most of you guys don't spend the money to go to a motorcycle defensive driving training? Hurts report says that 95% of the riders who involved in an accident has never received any formal motorcycle training.

3. If safety is really your first concern, why do you have to ride with a black leather jacket, not a bright color , reflective jackets, as most DMVs suggest? Do you care about style more, or safety more.

Anyone? Answers? Please, no fight.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:30 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post

1. If 'safety' is really the reason for you guys to install your aftermarket loud pipes, why most of the Harley riders don't wear a DOT approved helmet but a weak, plastic Harley chopper helmet? I've seen so many Harley riders even ride with no helmets in some states, but of course they have the loudest pipes on this planet.

2. If safety is really heart of the issue, why most of you guys don't spend the money to go to a motorcycle defensive driving training? Hurts report says that 95% of the riders who involved in an accident has never received any formal motorcycle training.

3. If safety is really your first concern, why do you have to ride with a black leather jacket, not a bright color , reflective jackets, as most DMVs suggest? Do you care about style more, or safety more.

What we've learned so far from tough guy Harley riders:

1) They'll kick our ****
2) They don't care how loud their bikes are, and it has zippo to do with saftey
3) They are corpulent.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:09 PM

874 posts, read 2,875,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
How does a gun range compare to people who ride motorcycles that are as loud as jet engines on public roads? You're making an absurd and illogical argument.

Port Jeff constables should be issued decibel meters. After about 10 tickets or so, the bikers will either get mufflers or go elsewhere. Noise IS a privacy issue...it's not like clothing or dying your hair purple. Noise cannot be ignored. I think I'll park my car in front of your house and crank the subwoofer up at 1 am..what, that bothers you? I can't understand why you can't just IGNORE IT!!
I just referred to a gun range because I live near an outdoor one and there are people in the neighborhood whom complain about it and try to get it shut down all of the time. It was here before any of the houses were and these people knew it. I bought my house knowing it was there and have no wish to get it shut down. If they hate it that much they should not have bought a house there.

I basically lumped the range thing together with the other stuff because the same people complain about motorcycles, trucks, loud cars, loud music and anything they do not like about someone's property. They also all have "Stop Walmart" signs on their lawns. People such as that should just relocate to either a retirement community or somewhere extremely rural where they have to walk twenty minutes to get to their neighbor's house instead of making it their mission in life to complain and try to change the neighborhood they have decided to live in.

People have to start to face the fact that Long Island is a suburb of NYC and most areas have lost their truly "rural" beginnings and will not be getting it back. Of course, this does not pertain to all of Long Island but you do have to go much further east than years back to get a rural feeling.

There are people on my block that own motorcycles and they obviously drive past my house often and it does not bother me. The majority of people do not just rev their engine somewhere for a length of time at 1 AM. If they are in one spot for a length of time just revving the engine they can get a summons for the noise.

When I mentioned the need of a decibel meter for issuing summonses I was referring to hours before 10 PM. The rules for noise are stricter after 10 PM. I have issued summonses for noise after 10 PM and at court I basically just had to state the distance I was in order to hear the noise.

If you were referring to the noise late at night than I apologize for debating with you because I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to the afternoon and evening hours.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:27 PM

874 posts, read 2,875,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalX View Post

I personally like motorcycles but would never own one simply for the safety factor due to the fact that I have had friends that were seriously injured or killed on them.

Perhaps one of the bikers will answer your question but friends that I have that ride motorcycles have always made the argument that the DOT helmets are expensive and they always felt that the helmet on your head is not going to help you in an accident that is anything more than laying the bike down.

I am not saying that I agree with this I am only telling you the reasons I have been told by people I know that do not wear a DOT approved helmet.

The other two questions I can't answer because I have never asked them.

Many people will say that the loud pipes theory does not make any sense and I know many people hate the noise but I do also know that when I am driving and hear a loud motorcycle I always know where the noise is coming from and I do see other drivers look to see where the noise is coming from. Do not jump down my throat about this because I am not advocating bikers taking mufflers off of their bikes or saying this justifies them doing so.

I would also have to question the safety of the riders themselves when having a bike that loud since I would think that it would obviously make it harder for them to hear other things going on around them.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:30 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I just referred to a gun range because I live near an outdoor one and there are people in the neighborhood whom complain about it and try to get it shut down all of the time. It was here before any of the houses were and these people knew it. I bought my house knowing it was there and have no wish to get it shut down. If they hate it that much they should not have bought a house there.

I basically lumped the range thing together with the other stuff because the same people complain about motorcycles, trucks, loud cars, loud music and anything they do not like about someone's property. They also all have "Stop Walmart" signs on their lawns. People such as that should just relocate to either a retirement community or somewhere extremely rural where they have to walk twenty minutes to get to their neighbor's house instead of making it their mission in life to complain and try to change the neighborhood they have decided to live in.

People have to start to face the fact that Long Island is a suburb of NYC and most areas have lost their truly "rural" beginnings and will not be getting it back. Of course, this does not pertain to all of Long Island but you do have to go much further east than years back to get a rural feeling.

There are people on my block that own motorcycles and they obviously drive past my house often and it does not bother me. The majority of people do not just rev their engine somewhere for a length of time at 1 AM. If they are in one spot for a length of time just revving the engine they can get a summons for the noise.

When I mentioned the need of a decibel meter for issuing summonses I was referring to hours before 10 PM. The rules for noise are stricter after 10 PM. I have issued summonses for noise after 10 PM and at court I basically just had to state the distance I was in order to hear the noise.

If you were referring to the noise late at night than I apologize for debating with you because I misunderstood. I thought you were referring to the afternoon and evening hours.
Motorcycles with loud pipes don't suddenly get quieter after 10 pm.

If PJ needs decibel meters to stop the madness, so be it. A couple of cops handing out tickets with decibel meters will get the message across and the bikers will go away or put a muffler on it, unless they are all multi-millionaires and can afford the tickets. I remember years back they used to have a cop standing downtown giving tickets to hot shots who came in with their stereos booming. Same idea here. Tell the jerks to shut it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island