Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 12:47 PM

783 posts, read 1,432,266 times

Advertisements

Do a search for homes in the Herricks school district. I think you will find everything you are looking for in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:10 PM

7 posts, read 79,104 times
There were a lot of homes within our budget in Jericho and Syosset so I was hoping that we might be able to get a fixer upper somewhere closer. For those of you who know Garden City, which part has the good schools and why do you have to pay village taxes? Which town does the Herricks school district include?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:07 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,939,997 times
If you live in the village of GC, you must pay village tax. That's the tradeoff: village cachet and services in return for extra taxes. Garden City SD is the good school district.

Herricks includes Manhasset Hills, Albertson, Searingtown and part of Williston Park. Much of it is postally other places--Manhasset Hills is New Hyde Park according to the USPS and I forget what Searingtown is. (i would recommend getting a Hagstrom atlas of Nassau, as it shows the hamlets and villages correctly.)

NE Queens is very nice, but lot sizes are small, especially in that price range, and although schools are good they are very crowded.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 PM

22,739 posts, read 36,990,331 times
GC has good schools no matter where you are. The town's borders are contiguous with the school district. If you are in GC, you get GC schools.
GC has its own police, sanitation, park and recs dept, etc. Hence the taxes.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:19 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,313,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
GC has good schools no matter where you are. The town's borders are contiguous with the school district. If you are in GC, you get GC schools.
GC has its own police, sanitation, park and recs dept, etc. Hence the taxes.
A tiny portion of Stewart Manor goes to GC schools as well.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:17 AM

22,739 posts, read 36,990,331 times
There is only one street in Stewart Manor that goes to GC schools - Fernwood Terrace, south of the RR tracks. If you can get a house there it's a great buy for you

Old 04-29-2009, 01:06 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,710,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kho7002 View Post
Hi all...this is my first time posting and I'm hoping you can steer me in the right direction. We have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. We are looking to buy a home in LI after months of a frustrating house search in Bayside, Queens. We ventured out to Jericho and Syosset this past weekend and looked at 14 open houses. We love the spacious land and beautiful homes there but are hesitant to focus there because of the commute to Midtown. In order of importance, here is what we're looking for:

1) Top schools - very important...we want our kids to receive the best education possible but worried about the cut-throat nature of Jericho schools. Academics are very important to us but we also want them to participate in extra-curricular activities like sports and music.

2) Diversity - we're Chinese and prefer to be in a neighborhood that's accepting of us. We want to make friends with our neighbors.

3) Nice neighborhood/nice houses - we would like a nice 3-4 bedroom home on a big size lot (around 7000+ square feet). We want a nice neighborhood with well-manicured lawns. Overall, a suburban lifestyle that can't be found in Queens.

4) Commute - preferably the commute to Midtown is no more that 90 minutes door to door.

5) A nice town where you can do your shopping.

We've heard that Garden City is a good alternative to Jericho? Any opinions on that.

Thanks in advance!
Long Islands Asian population is growing drastically so there are a lot of towns that I feel would fit your criteria or will soon as more Asians continue to move to the Island. I will give you a few nice towns where the Asian populations are growing. Look into them.

Syosset

Plainview

Massapequa

Garden City (as suggested)

Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,769,333 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Garden City

Quote:
Originally Posted by kho7002 View Post
There were a lot of homes within our budget in Jericho and Syosset so I was hoping that we might be able to get a fixer upper somewhere closer. For those of you who know Garden City, which part has the good schools and why do you have to pay village taxes? Which town does the Herricks school district include?

kho7002, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

Garden City is a village, while Jericho and Syosset are hamlets, and as AlexisT has pointed out, "If you live in the village of GC, you must pay village tax. That's the tradeoff: village cachet and services in return for extra taxes."

The "Garden City, NY 11530" ZIP Code postal zone, as well as the "Jericho, NY 11753" and "Syosset, NY 11791" ZIP Code postal zones, have a different border than the communities whose name they share, and a place can have a "Garden City", "Jericho" and "Syosset" mailing address and NOT be in the Village of Garden City, the Hamlet of Jericho or the Hamlet of Syosset, respectively.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

For those who may not be familiar with Garden City:

Garden City is a village (incorporated in 1919) in the north-center section of the Town of Hempstead, in the center of Nassau County, along the Hempstead/North Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Garden City in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of New Hyde Park, the Hamlet of North New Hyde Park, the Village of Mineola and the Hamlet of Carle Place, all in the Town of North Hempstead (the North Hempstead/Hempstead town line); on the east by the Hamlet of East Garden City; on the south by the Village of Hempstead, the Hamlet of West Hempstead, the Hamlet of Garden City South and the Hamlet of Franklin Square; and, on the west by the Village of Stewart Manor and the Village of New Hyde Park.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8d/Garden-city-map.gif (broken link)

Garden City is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where many of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places that have a "Garden City, NY 11530" mailing address that are not in the Village of Garden City are in the Hamlet of East Garden City, the Hamlet of Garden City South, the Hamlet of Franklin Square and the Village of Stewart Manor; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Garden City that have a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address. (The Nassau County county seat is in that part of the Village of Garden City that has a "Mineola, NY 11501" mailing address.)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 04-29-2009, 06:57 PM

220 posts, read 1,121,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Long Islands Asian population is growing drastically so there are a lot of towns that I feel would fit your criteria or will soon as more Asians continue to move to the Island. I will give you a few nice towns where the Asian populations are growing. Look into them.

Syosset

Plainview

Massapequa

Garden City (as suggested)
Massapequa, really? I don't see that reflected in the school population data. Is this something you've noticed by being there? What nationalities?

Old 04-30-2009, 06:52 AM

8,735 posts, read 11,149,642 times
I really like the Herricks school district. I didn't pursue that area bc the LIRR is doesn't serve that area too well imo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island