Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 07:09 PM

21 posts, read 60,293 times

Advertisements

My partner and I have an 11 year old son and 18 month old daughter. We are looking to move to a town on Long Island that is more gay friendly and diverse than where we live now (pt jeff station). In particular, we are considering Huntington Village. Can anyone give their input/advice on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 07:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
I can't offer any advice on Huntington, but I live just west of you and find the community surrounding SUSB to be more tolerant.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 PM

Thanks for your input. Can you tell me more about your experience in Stony Brook, re: diversity/tolerance?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
We have many neighbors who work for SUSB in many different positions. Some come from foreign countries -- too numerous to list, but all continents & races are represented. You also have a number of residents who are employed by Renaissance Technologies -- very bright and also something of an international population. Another large group are in the medical profession and once more a cross section of the globe.

In terms of race the area like so much of LI is white in the majority. The school district (06-07) is 87% Caucasian, 8% Asian, 3% Hispanic, 2% African American. Most religious groups are well represented. There are some interracial marriages (all variations)

The area is traditionally Democratic, many liberal-minded individuals.

Through children's activities (I have 2 in the district - elementary & HS) social activities, clubs, neighbors and business contacts, I have met numerous gay and lesbian parents. Some are discrete (perhaps unsure of what others will think?) while others are confident in their sexuality. This is not to say we have a large gay and lesbian population, but from my own observations most residents accept their friends and neighbors with 'alternative lifestyles' (BTW - I hate that phrase.) The majority of college educated individuals in the area have been around gay and lesbian individuals going through college, going out into the real world and to most of us, you're no different then the rest of us. (The area where I grew up was the complete opposite. My parents still can't understand why I don't have any issues with gay and lesbian people.)

There always seems to be something going on -- whether around town or on campus. Many people are into bicycling, kayaking and there are always people out walking or jogging. It's a very active area -- physically, civic wise and family wise.

If you and your partner are people who care about their family, home and community, you should have no problem here. Feel free to send me a DM if you have any questions on the area.

Best of luck finding the right home

Old 10-01-2008, 09:05 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,184,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyez1121 View Post
My partner and I have an 11 year old son and 18 month old daughter. We are looking to move to a town on Long Island that is more gay friendly and diverse than where we live now (pt jeff station). In particular, we are considering Huntington Village. Can anyone give their input/advice on this?

Rocky Point/Sound Beach is Gay friendly.
I know of a few couples in the hills.

Sayville and Stony Brook too.

crookhaven

Old 10-02-2008, 05:02 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,936,563 times
I think you'd like Sayville, Oakdale would probably be good too. further east Sag Harbor would be great.
Good luck!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:10 AM

Thanks very much for your replies. I had heard that Stony Brook was more tolerant, but its great to get insight from residents.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:23 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,308,505 times
Default Not only more tolerant

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyez1121 View Post
Thanks very much for your replies. I had heard that Stony Brook was more tolerant, but its great to get insight from residents.
Aside from Stony Brook being more tolerant, and of course you probably know that on Long Island tolerant is still a very relative term, it is an impressive community given the types of cultural programs, parks programs and tiny niches available for families. If I did not have to work and be so far west, I would move there in a heartbeat. As it is we spend a lot of time at various weekend programs since it is only a couple of towns away. Good luck to you.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,767,256 times
I think that Huntington would be an excellent choice for you. It is very tolerant and has an active gay community. I find that most towns are pretty tolerant as long as you are good neighbors, most people here don't think that being gay is a big deal.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:56 AM

5,532 posts, read 7,123,271 times
Does it really matter? Go find a town that you like and just settle there, Who cares what people think.
You're going to be paying taxes and keeping up your house just like everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island