Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 01:55 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Some do and some don't bother because it's so easy for people to get guns in this country. Dylan Roof was a law abiding citizen who got a license, god for bid he would have to wait longer than 72 hours. I'm glad we have strict gun laws, most of the illegal guns in NY come from places like Virginia and Georgia that have weak laws.
Please stop listening to Mike Bloomberg. Just another anti-gun nut surrounded by a fully armed personal security detail. He is the poster boy for the "rules for thee, but not for me" crowd. He is certainly a smart guy, but on this topic, he is either clueless or intentionally misleads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We need the same type laws for voting.

Most firearms used in crime are from straw purchases like the gang banger's girlfriend.

+1

Most illegal guns are not the result of "weak" laws. They are the result of people using illegal means to purchase (for those not aware, straw purchases are illegal).

For that matter, most "gun violence" (>90% according to FBI crime statistics) is gang/drug-related and involves criminal on criminal activity. The entire "guns are a problem" narrative is false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 03:25 PM

106,566 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Please stop listening to Mike Bloomberg. Just another anti-gun nut surrounded by a fully armed personal security detail. He is the poster boy for the "rules for thee, but not for me" crowd. He is certainly a smart guy, but on this topic, he is either clueless or intentionally misleads.

+1

Most illegal guns are not the result of "weak" laws. They are the result of people using illegal means to purchase (for those not aware, straw purchases are illegal).

For that matter, most "gun violence" (>90% according to FBI crime statistics) is gang/drug-related and involves criminal on criminal activity. The entire "guns are a problem" narrative is false.
Exactly

Old 03-27-2022, 03:48 PM

3,246 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
My husband bought a Walther {PPS/M2 in 9MM} pistol on Saturday - we met seller at the gun store - clerk ran NICS check - he passed - he received a voucher showing purchase and picture of gun - Today we went to pistol license bureau - the pistol was added to his license - we went back to the store to pick up the gun.
AKA The Yaphank Shuffle

Expenses for Honest Citizen to exercise 2nd Amendment Right:

Cost of putting on license by County - $5.00
Cost of gun store paperwork/NICS - $40.00
Gas at $4.00/gallon to go to store - pistol bureau - back to store
Husband gets hungry - stop at Mcdonalds - $10.00

The government does not make it cheap or easy - a lot of hoops to jump through!!

Ah Yaphank. Small world. I grew up on Decatur Ave over by Southaven park. No offense but I'm glad I moved out back in '78. I'm in NH nowadays where it's no permission slip, no registration, no license required. NICS check free if it's an in store retail purchase. Enjoy it while you can, there's worse places to be a gun owner.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:39 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
I don't see such a big deal.

Congrats to your husband on a great gun purchase.

Old 03-29-2022, 08:39 AM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:

+1

That is in conflict with actual facts.

Quote:
About 50,000 guns are found to be diverted to criminals across state lines every year, federal data shows, and many more are likely to cross state lines undetected.

In New York and New Jersey, which have some of the strictest laws in the country, more than two-thirds of guns tied to criminal activity were traced to out-of-state purchases in 2014. Many were brought in via the so-called Iron Pipeline, made up of Interstate 95 and its tributary highways, from Southern states with weaker gun laws, like Virginia, Georgia and Florida.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-gun-laws.html

Old 03-29-2022, 02:18 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That is in conflict with actual facts.
FBI statistics are the actual facts. Do you have some "alternative" facts that refute the FBI stats?

I can't read the entire article because it is behind a paywall. However, I know the spin articles like to put on these things.

You cannot walk into a gun store in the US and just buy a gun the same way you buy a candy bar. Doesn't matter how many times the anti-2A idiots say it, it's just not true. You must submit to a background check and show an ID. Most states have some sort of licensing. If you drive to another state with a NY ID, it is NOT legal to purchase a handgun. As I recall, you can't even purchase a long gun in another state (technically you should be able to purchase in a contiguous state, but most gun stores don't want to take the chance). It actually becomes a federal crime when you cross state lines.

The "lax gun laws" reasoning is a myth. Sure, it is easier to purchase a LEGAL gun in most other states, only because NYS has some absurd and ridiculous gun laws. If there was any truth to this, guns would be pouring in from VT and PA - both allow full carry without a license.

If you don't have a pistol license (which is what the original post was about), or can't pass a NICS check, it is illegal to sell you a handgun. Doesn't matter if you drive to Virginia, Arizona, or wherever. It's still illegal.

It's certainly possible there are more sellers willing to break the law in other states. The idea that a New Yorker can just drive to Virginia, walk into a store, and walk out with some _legal_ handguns is beyond absurd. It's like saying that most NY coke comes from Miami due to the lax drug laws in Florida.

It is really sad how the mainstream media misleads people. As I previously posted, please stop listening to self-serving hypocrites like Mike Bloomberg.

Old 03-29-2022, 02:24 PM

690 posts, read 584,242 times
Quote:
FBI statistics are the actual facts. Do you have some "alternative" facts that refute the FBI stats?

I can't read the entire article because it is behind a paywall. However, I know the spin articles like to put on these things.

You cannot walk into a gun store in the US and just buy a gun the same way you buy a candy bar. Doesn't matter how many times the anti-2A idiots say it, it's just not true. You must submit to a background check and show an ID. Most states have some sort of licensing. If you drive to another state with a NY ID, it is NOT legal to purchase a handgun. As I recall, you can't even purchase a long gun in another state (technically you should be able to purchase in a contiguous state, but most gun stores don't want to take the chance). It actually becomes a federal crime when you cross state lines.

The "lax gun laws" reasoning is a myth. Sure, it is easier to purchase a LEGAL gun in most other states, only because NYS has some absurd and ridiculous gun laws. If there was any truth to this, guns would be pouring in from VT and PA - both allow full carry without a license.

If you don't have a pistol license (which is what the original post was about), or can't pass a NICS check, it is illegal to sell you a handgun. Doesn't matter if you drive to Virginia, Arizona, or wherever. It's still illegal.

It's certainly possible there are more sellers willing to break the law in other states. The idea that a New Yorker can just drive to Virginia, walk into a store, and walk out with some _legal_ handguns is beyond absurd. It's like saying that most NY coke comes from Miami due to the lax drug laws in Florida.

It is really sad how the mainstream media misleads people. As I previously posted, please stop listening to self-serving hypocrites like Mike Bloomberg.
Nailed it!

Old 03-29-2022, 04:54 PM

73 posts, read 32,964 times
Quote:

You definitely can, but you can only buy one that's legal in your home state (so you can't drive to another state to buy an AR-15 as a New York resident).

Old 03-29-2022, 06:27 PM

961 posts, read 2,501,977 times
A few thoughts on this topic:
In my former employment, I made a habit to ask those who found themselves as wards of our govt, how easy/difficult was it to purchase a stolen firearm. The usual response was a laugh with something to the effect of it was just a matter of how much they wanted to spend. Firearms aren't the result of magic, just some engineering and machine tooling. As such, with a black market for them, they could come across a state or nation's borders as easily as it is for illegals to currently enter this country....NO matter how many new gun laws NY passes.
With the increase in crime in urban areas, many former "non gun types" are interested in becoming gun owners.
The original poster sited a $40 NICS background check. Upstate, firearms dealers just figure it into part of the firearm' s price..and usually try to absorb it.
I am aware of numerous downstate gun owners that store long guns at homes they own upstate to avoid traveling through NYC with a firearm.
I can't say enough about a youth firearms program (Cooperative Extension-4H) I helped run for 7 years. Even if these youth had no further interest in firearms, later in life..at the least...they came away with a respect for gun safety. As a sidebar, some who came into the program unsure of themselves, came away with a "can do" attitude after proving themselves a proficient marksman during their years in the program...and yes, this included girls.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:38 PM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:

The sad thing is that people don't believe solid research, maybe you can find a source where most illegal guns don't come from other states.

It's not a "spin" the article is based on facts from Johns Hopkins and the ATF, much too easy to acquire guns in many states and they are imported here. Maybe you don't understand that we have strict laws in NY.

Quote:
Illegal firearms come up Interstate-95. The trafficking operation is known as the Iron Pipeline. The route often treks weapons legally purchased in states like Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. Those weapons get delivered illegally in big cities up and down the East Coast along the I-95 corridor.

"There's an underground economy. It definitely facilitates gun violence in New York, despite your strong laws," said Daniel Webster, the director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research.

No matter how strong gun laws are in New York and New Jersey, exploiting huge flaws in U.S. gun policy as a whole nationwide is not hard. That imperfection was highlighted in a 2015 arrest of Michael Bassier, a Brooklyn resident at the time, who authorities say trafficked weapons from Georgia to New York City. Investigators recorded part of his conversation about how he did it on a wiretap:
https://www.fox5ny.com/news/iron-pip...-guns-new-york
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island