Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2020, 07:23 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
“Long Island. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.”
LI in the future?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 07:31 PM

297 posts, read 196,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I wasn’t talking about quality of work, just the amount of kvetching.
I complain because the standards nowadays have stooped so low. It's almost as if the next step in human evolution is ape.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:48 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkster55 View Post
I complain because the standards nowadays have stooped so low. It's almost as if the next step in human evolution is ape.
You complain cause your, cheap or broke and have no concept of the overhead businesses have. Now go do your own roof with that 4 inch extension. I’m sure it will come out amazing.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
You complain cause your, cheap or broke and have no concept of the overhead businesses have. Now go do your own roof with that 4 inch extension. I’m sure it will come out amazing.

gx89, no amount of reasoning will take denseness out of you. Enjoy paying 13k for 6 hours worth of unskilled labor, lunch included.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:12 PM

855 posts, read 452,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
It's "you're".

LMAO.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
It's "you're".

LMAO.
He doesn’t know what that word means so no point.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:32 AM

16,093 posts, read 6,863,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
It seems to bother so many people that others are happy on Long Island, to the point that they try to either convince us that we're wrong or that something's wrong with us! LOL ! Yeah, it's really disturbing to see other people happy where they are!
Response:Opinion

Well done...............

HIGH PROPERTY TAXES IS WHAT KEEPS PEOPLE OUT OF LONG ISLAND

I find most parts of Long Island Beautiful.
I find most homes in Long Island affordable.
I find property taxes in most of Long Island highway robbery.

There are about a dozen locations that are both affordable
in price and fair property taxes.

Of those, only half would I consider relocating....all in Suffolk.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:07 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,671 times
NYC income tax and the poor handling of specialized schools by the Deblasio regime will continue to improve LI’s worth.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:13 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
HIGH PROPERTY TAXES IS WHAT KEEPS PEOPLE OUT OF LONG ISLAND
If only the overwhelming majority of those taxes didn't go directly into the pockets of people who take advantage of every taxpayer just because they can...

Why do you sound thankful?

I could get behind your idea if it actually went back toward the betterment of our lives, but it really isn't for our greater good. What you consider beautiful is all natural, certainly not helped along by our collective funding. Our ever-increasing funding goes into maintaining rather than improving. Bottom line, other places do it better than us because people are less greedy.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:40 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
If only the overwhelming majority of those taxes didn't go directly into the pockets of people who take advantage of every taxpayer just because they can...

Why do you sound thankful?

I could get behind your idea if it actually went back toward the betterment of our lives, but it really isn't for our greater good. What you consider beautiful is all natural, certainly not helped along by our collective funding. Our ever-increasing funding goes into maintaining rather than improving. Bottom line, other places do it better than us because people are less greedy.
I'm curious why people think LI is sooo much worse than everywhere else. Our property, local/county taxes are fairly low, offset by high sales and income tax (none of this is LI specific). The burden is school tax. Again, used to be LI specific, now a national phenomenon. Florida: Coral Springs/Sunshine, lower tax, Parkland/Weston? High tax. Why: the schools! Same county (Broward). Austin? Now more expensive than LI but schools a mess (and let's not even start on infrastructure, 20 yrs of straight growth, no public trans and toll roads going up everywhere. Traffic to make the LIE look like a go cart track). Heavy threat of magnets/charters by the influx of expat Cali/NYers bringing their money and "liberal" save our schools mantra = blown out school taxes! NY was first. Due to the upheaval, crime, recession of the 70's we traded no strikes/work stoppages for carte blanche step and contractual raises. Baked into the state constitution. Comparing LI to SC or Montana is ridiculous. Compare it to comparable metros and you mostly find they are developing the same unsustainable problems we have with comparable costs. The difference is LIers are ultra-gullible. They believe in nothing but will fork over dough to any Zeldinesque ding dong who tells them what they want to believe. "Greatest schools in the world? Check." "$30k per student to join the army, check!" In fact, our costs are going down...because we are in decline. If not for the covid exodus out of the city and massive Fed money printing, LI would be dying on the vine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island