Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 07:06 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CogentChas View Post
The Albany/Saratoga Springs area may be another area to look into, as there is a growing tech scene there, along with it being a government center. Albany Medical Center is top notch from what I here, but as an experienced RN, I imagine your wife finding a good job anywhere shouldn’t be too difficult in this economy. The Capital Region is the fastest growing in the state.

Agree with this....plus you're only 3 hours from NYC AND Boston, plenty to do around there winter and summer from Albany all the way up to the Adirondack Region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 07:26 AM

558 posts, read 299,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Are you a member of the FPA? If so, how about attending one of the next member meetings (with CE credits even, if you're a CFP) and talk to your peers?
I became a CFP this year but not an FPA member yet. Are you one or both of these?

Old 08-02-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
The Albany/Saratoga Springs area may be another area to look into, as there is a growing tech scene there, along with it being a government center. Albany Medical Center is top notch from what I here, but as an experienced RN, I imagine your wife finding a good job anywhere shouldn’t be too difficult in this economy. The Capital Region is the fastest growing in the state.

Closer to NYC, check out towns in Ulster, Orange and Dutchess Counties for a rural/semi-rural, yet still very connected feel in reinvigorated towns. More pricey, and more busy, yet still very peaceful (in some places) can be found in Putnam, Rockland, and Westchester Counties. Metro North Railroad has connections to Grand Central from points in all of the above mentioned counties (other than Ulster I believe).
Last night I began exploring the Hudson Valley and it seems the Eastern side is more populous and affluent. These are avatars in business. Westchester looks very expensive, and Putnam is very small. Is Dutchess county well connected to NY by rail?

Old 08-02-2018, 07:37 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
I became a CFP this year but not an FPA member yet. Are you one or both of these?
Yes, I have been a CFP for over 25 years (am also a LUTCF), and of course a member of the FPA, which was founded in 2000 as a result of the merger of two organizations: the IAFP and the ICFP. The ICFP was for CFPs only, the IAFP for all financial planning related professionals.

15 years ago I decided to once again pursue my passion for real estate and now only do financial counseling part time (no more products) but am able to offer that "little extra" to my real estate clients because of my background.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:04 PM

57 posts, read 46,799 times
Quote:
Last night I began exploring the Hudson Valley and it seems the Eastern side is more populous and affluent. These are avatars in business. Westchester looks very expensive, and Putnam is very small. Is Dutchess county well connected to NY by rail?
I would agree with that assessment, I think the Eastern side of the Hudson River is a bit more established in some places. On the Eastern side of Dutchess County, Metro North has a terminus on the Hudson Line in Poughkeepsie, where there are Amtrak connections that run North along the Hudson River to Albany and points beyond. On the Western side of Dutchess County, along the border with Connecticut, the terminus on the Harlem Line is Wassaic. Both of the aforementioned terminus’ extend about halfway through Dutchess. I’d say considering an area on the Eastern side of Dutchess or even Columbia County above it would be a better bet. Towns like Hyde Park, Rhinebeck, Red Hook, among others could be great options, and you’d have easy Amtrak access.

Old 08-04-2018, 10:41 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,008,169 times
Quote:
My wife and I are looking to move in Q1 2019. We are both city people originally but found some contentment in the burbs upstate. That said, where we are now is in decline and we are tired of it.

We are late 50's, I am a Financial Planner and she is an RN. I expect to work on LI sand so does she although in the boroughs is possible for either of us. It depends on what we find. We don't want to buy for the first year, maybe two. So for the first year, we want a location that will fit a few criteria.

1) At least 1500sf, probably closer to 2000. It could be an apartment, townhouse or SF. Has to be updated or new, no room conditioners and in-unit laundry is not negotiable.
2) Budget is $2500-3500 per month.
3) We don't need a vibrant Town center but would like to be 5-15 minutes from a stretch with some decent dining options.
4) Schools are not a need, although I suspect the better schools will coincide with better areas in general.
5) We don't want gangs anywhere around us.
6) We are agnostic on Nassau or Suffolk, but don't want to be in the more isolated areas which are probably mostly in Suffolk.
7) Diversity is fine, good, we prefer it but don't want to feel like a minority as Anglos.

Her family is between Valley Stream and Massapequa Park. I'd like to be close enough for easy visits but not sure I want to live next door to them.

Where in the burbs upstate are you living if you don’t mind me asking ? I left NY from Orange County last year

Old 08-04-2018, 11:39 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Check out Ulster County too.
lotta city commuters live there.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:21 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Check out Ulster County too.
lotta city commuters live there.
That would be a rough daily commute though

Old 08-06-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Where in the burbs upstate are you living if you don’t mind me asking ? I left NY from Orange County last year
Yes, I spotted you elsewhere talking about the KJ issue in Monroe. I'm living in the Rochester area and am eager to get out. Snow. Zero growth. And I'm paying 4% of assessed value in annual property taxes. So am looking around and the Hudson Valley is starting to look good.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I would agree with that assessment, I think the Eastern side of the Hudson River is a bit more established in some places. On the Eastern side of Dutchess County, Metro North has a terminus on the Hudson Line in Poughkeepsie, where there are Amtrak connections that run North along the Hudson River to Albany and points beyond. On the Western side of Dutchess County, along the border with Connecticut, the terminus on the Harlem Line is Wassaic. Both of the aforementioned terminus’ extend about halfway through Dutchess. I’d say considering an area on the Eastern side of Dutchess or even Columbia County above it would be a better bet. Towns like Hyde Park, Rhinebeck, Red Hook, among others could be great options, and you’d have easy Amtrak access.
That has to be a pretty long ride from Poughkeepsie. Further up the line must be closer to 2 hours one way, wouldn't it? Especially if driving from a river town to the Harlem line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island