Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 06:43 PM

558 posts, read 300,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApresNY View Post
Suffolk County past Huntington is like another State, a more southernly state. Very conservative politically and there is high crime/gangs in Brentwood. Miller Place makes the new a lot also.

If you reasoning for living on LI is to be near family, there are nice offerings in and around Long Beach, Merrick, Rockville Centre. All close to Long Island Rail road. Many hospital and private doctor offices for your wife who is a nurse.

Best bet is to get the services of a few Realtors in the top agencies. Most of the more luxury coops/condos/rentals go through them anyway for sales. For what you want, you will likely get a one bedroom or Jr. 4.

Good luck!
It's complicated, we want to be closer to her family but the Hudson Valley would also accomplish that. I don't need to be right right next door. We had a spacious 2BR condo in downtown Chicago and now a house almost twice that size so a one BR is out of the question.

Trouble with LI is that it's a real crap shoot when it comes to locations. Villages often have good parts and parts nobody wants to live in. For the uninitiated it's disconcerting.

The Hudson Valley might be a better option for us. Wish there was a dedicated forum over there and not just Westchester. There are almost 2 million people between the Bronx and Albany, not including Westchester, how does that not merit a forum of its own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 01:34 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,722,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It's possible I guess.
I did see one at the needle right in front of Jones Beach, right where it loops past and continues to head east on Ocean Parkway. It was right there by the road. Pretty much in front of the main area.
Probably around 1 or 2AM last winter.

Most of the other ones have been further east.
https://sevenseasmedia.org/red-fox-on-long-lsland/

Old 08-18-2018, 01:43 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,852,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Deer have been reported well into the north shore of Nassau.
I think the human population is much more of a nuisance than deer.
Actually, that's a fact.
I've never had a human run out from the woods and slam into my car. Deer have done it three times in the last ten years. Suicidal bastards.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:00 AM

Guys, can you please start your own thread about deer, wolves, ticks and whatever else is on your mind? I will not try to hijack it with my agenda.

Thank you.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:20 PM

20,084 posts, read 20,890,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I've never had a human run out from the woods and slam into my car. Deer have done it three times in the last ten years. Suicidal bastards.
Are you kidding?
People do that all the time. Far more often than you think.
You only hear about the really bad ones on the news, like deaths, hit 'n runs, etc...
People on bicycles are possibly worse.

Old 08-18-2018, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 7,030 times
Have you considered Mastic Beach?

Old 08-18-2018, 04:31 PM

11 posts, read 7,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
Guys, can you please start your own thread about deer, wolves, ticks and whatever else is on your mind? I will not try to hijack it with my agenda.

Thank you.
Theoretically, these folks are doing you a favor.

Don't move to LI....look at the picture they're painting for you. Folks that live upstate have much less to complain about.....their forums are nothing like this one.

If you must stay in the area, go north, not east.

There is an aura of douchebaggery that you've never experienced...you'll start to feel it the moment you unpack. It's followed immediately by a deep sense of regret and the sudden urge to post here daily about stupid, mundane CRAP.

You have been warned.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:52 PM

20,084 posts, read 20,890,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Say NO to Mastic Beach View Post

Don't move to LI....look at the picture they're painting for you. Folks that live upstate have much less to complain about.....their forums are nothing like this one.

There is an aura of douchebaggery that you've never experienced...you'll start to feel it the moment you unpack. It's followed immediately by a deep sense of regret and the sudden urge to post here daily about stupid, mundane CRAP.

You have been warned.
Amen.
Douchebaggery of a kind like you've never seen.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say NO to Mastic Beach View Post

You have been warned.
There are issues up here, too. For one the economic engine is old, tired and the steam has largely run out. The taxes are proportionately even worse, if you can believe it.

The comments that have been relevant to my into post have been helpful. And those that have not been were useful in their own way, giving a flavor of what to expect.

Looks like the Hudson Valley and Philadelphia are worth exploring.

Old 08-19-2018, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
There are issues up here, too. For one the economic engine is old, tired and the steam has largely run out. The taxes are proportionately even worse, if you can believe it.

The comments that have been relevant to my into post have been helpful. And those that have not been were useful in their own way, giving a flavor of what to expect.

Looks like the Hudson Valley and Philadelphia are worth exploring.
I disagree that the taxes are proportionately worse. If you get up into the Hudson Valley...as an example, we were looking in Gardiner...commutable to NYC as well as Albany. Good public schools...and it's a state college town (nothing wrong with Community College).

We were looking at homes that were in the low 3s, taxes around 9K, with lots in the 2 acre range (and quite a few with even more space than that). Good luck finding that anywhere on LI. The area has plenty of green space and plenty to do. We targeted Gardiner because it had a nice downtown area, small town feel, decent home prices and was zoned for New Paltz schools, which seemed to be the best district bang for buck in our research. You can commute to NYC by either train (Poughkeepsie/Metro North) or bus (my preference) but depending on what you do, there's also plenty of work in the immediate area as well as north in Albany.

The best part of it is you are already out with the rest of the world. On LI, you feel trapped because no matter what you do or where you go, you either have to take a ferry or drive through NYC before you can go anywhere. All the culture and nightlife of NYC is great in your 20's, but as you get older you realize that an occasional visit is all you really need. LI offers little more than its beaches. You will be overtaxed and underwhelmed living in a society rife with corruption where your bottom line keeps going up while you continually get less and less in return. It looks like a great place to live, but these other intangibles are invisible until you sign on the dotted line.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Trust Me LI Sucks; 08-19-2018 at 05:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island