Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 06:39 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times

Advertisements

My friend has a union job in Yaphank. So MB is perfect for him. It works out. I have met some really nice people down by the water. One guy was wealthy. He was some sort of music producer. Had signed guitars by all the top rock stars. Really nice waterfront house. I saw the future of MB there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 07:02 PM

39 posts, read 27,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Sounds like a good place to put the nightlife. During the day of course there'd be cultural events held for tourist viewings. Maybe a Museum of Long Island Indigenous Peoples.
Yea. You’re like, retarded.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
My friend has a union job in Yaphank. So MB is perfect for him. It works out. I have met some really nice people down by the water. One guy was wealthy. He was some sort of music producer. Had signed guitars by all the top rock stars. Really nice waterfront house. I saw the future of MB there.
Don’t drink the Kool Aid.

You have been warned.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:18 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Ugh I hate agreeing with p-trippin (glad he lost some money though, lol j/k) but I looked for deals there b4 the crash and seems to me it's always going to be bordered on 3 sides (at least) by crime, poverty and/or flooding. Can't compare it to Bklyn in any way. LI doesn't gentrify that way. No lofts and warehouses being turned into luxury condos. No Starbucks coming in every 3 blocks or long time homeowners cashing out to move to Boca. It would take some major large scale development impetus to change MB's image and that doesn't happen on LI either. It will take a long time to change based on starving artists priced out of Park Slope or Remsenburg looking for a cheap home. Also, Mastic is the last to rise in boom times and the first to fall in the bad times (particularly if a flood event occurs) so if you want to find a deal to live in, they can be had. As an investment, pretty risky.
Good investments are supposed to be risky. Timing is the challenging part.

Who needs warehouses to convert when you have cheap land on an expensive island.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
and even the worst parts of Brooklyn had certain things in their favor: robust public transportation, attractive housing stock, storm/sanitary sewers, proximity to high paying jobs. That part of Suffolk has none of that.
Lol at Brooklyn having sanitary sewers.

Also Brooklyn has one of the highest poverty rates in the nation.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrippin View Post
Yea. You’re like, retarded.
Mods, this is uncalled for. But really he just a sore loser. Pretty dumb of him to invest in Mastic Beach pre-2014.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Mods, this is uncalled for. But really he just a sore loser. Pretty dumb of him to invest in Mastic Beach pre-2014.
At the time it wasn’t investing.

Thus proving your handicap.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrippin View Post
At the time it wasn’t investing.

Thus proving your handicap.
Thank goodness you won't be part of it this time. Hopefully far removed from Mastic Beach. You make neighborhoods depreciate. Let me know when you move to the boros so I can sell at peak.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:01 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It is an ugly house. Typical of spot built houses in the area. It is near the water.
In Shirley, Mastic and Mastic Beach,, throw everything you thought you knew about LI real estate out the window. In most South Shore towns, South is good. The reverse is true of the North Shore.

Not in Shirley and the Mastics.

There, North Shirley is preferential to South Shirley. (except in the over priced, over taxed Smith Point Estates - the Mc Mansion development) North Mastic is better than regular Mastic. North Mastic goes by another name. (Manor Park) The houses are tightly packed. Lot's of in-line ranches and in-line high ranches. They attend South Manor Schools.
North Shirley petitioned to have signs changed to "East Yaphank" I don't know if either is actually an incorporated village. See a pattern here? Every better area attempts to change it's name to distance itself from the words "Shirley" and "Mastic".

Where is Walter when you need him?

The only part of Mastic Beach that was not terrible is also north of Neighborhood Rd. It's called Fortuna Gardens. I can't say exactly what streets bound the area, but it's East of Mastic Rd. and across from Grace Lutheran Church.

That new house on Hockey IS in the flood zone - and it is south of Neighborhood Rd. Lots of converted summer cottages and other spot built houses.

Everyone since Walter Shirley, has been saying the Tri-Hamlet Community will draw people and will rival the Hamptons.

It has never happened. I predict it never will.
In regards to “East Yaphank”, it looks like this part of North Shirley is referred to by that name on this map: Census Tract 159407 in Suffolk County, New York

Old 08-08-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
#shotsfired

NIMBYs

Its so sad man

They cant admit it

If they could see what bombed out neighborhoods in NYC back in the 1980s look like now

Anything can "get got" nowdays

As long as we pay the teachers, we'll be ok

LoL
Bushwick and Williamsburg and Greenpoint and LIC do not compare to Mastic. I’m sorry. It’s a silly comparison you guys are trying to pass. You need to experience the area before you commit to such nonsense. That’s just the way it is. Go ahead and ban me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island