Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 06:53 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Exactly! 24 years in my home, zero issues. I did install a drywell for our washing machine which helps tremendously.
Excellent point. Gray water should go to a dry well as well as if there’s a sump pump. Lowers the load on a cesspool considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 07:30 AM

20,068 posts, read 20,877,739 times
I've been to a few homes that had nothing more than a discharge hose going from wm to the yard and emptying on the grass or flower beds.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:13 PM

401 posts, read 945,162 times
Coming from another state, the idea of cesspools has a very negative connotation. Every place I lived had sewers. I remember an article in a Maryland paper mocking the fact that Long Island was full of cesspools. The irony being that it was perceived as such a wealthy area. Fast forward, I've been here 14 years. I haven't had any problems with the cesspool(thankfully). I still wonder that with all the taxes paid here that a there still isn't a decent infrastructure. I lived in a blue collar neighborhood most of my life. There were nice sidewalks, sewers, garbage collection(even in the snow). I just don't get why Long Island can't get up to speed with the rest of the US when it is suppose to be one of the wealthiest areas in the US.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:32 PM

26 posts, read 20,974 times
Agree that much of Suffolk is cesspools. When I bought my house in West Islip, I learned that there are sewers along south shore in western suffolk, at least.

They do come with $120+ of fees a year, so depending on the health of a cesspool system, may be negligible.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:09 AM

194 posts, read 168,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajimenez View Post
Coming from another state, the idea of cesspools has a very negative connotation. Every place I lived had sewers. I remember an article in a Maryland paper mocking the fact that Long Island was full of cesspools. The irony being that it was perceived as such a wealthy area. Fast forward, I've been here 14 years. I haven't had any problems with the cesspool(thankfully). I still wonder that with all the taxes paid here that a there still isn't a decent infrastructure. I lived in a blue collar neighborhood most of my life. There were nice sidewalks, sewers, garbage collection(even in the snow). I just don't get why Long Island can't get up to speed with the rest of the US when it is suppose to be one of the wealthiest areas in the US.
Exactly, yet we pay the highest taxes in the nation. It's basically because the politicians are too busy wasting and stealing all the money instead of using it to improve the area. Like you said, the infrastructure is shot.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:43 AM

20,068 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Exactly, yet we pay the highest taxes in the nation. It's basically because the politicians are too busy wasting and stealing all the money instead of using it to improve the area. Like you said, the infrastructure is shot.
Yup. Money is all tied up in salaries.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:27 AM

23 posts, read 18,715 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK0NRgbZVmA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island