Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:52 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,764,998 times

Advertisements

I finally have my craft room set up (from our move 3 months ago). I was so excited to spend the long weekend sewing. I spent the morning at Joanns pouring through patterns and fabric for inspiration. Bought some fabric and notions. Came home, cut, pieced, ironed, pinned. Opened up the sewing machine table, threaded up the machine, and at the last step, pulled the thread down and then under the..... My presser foot was gone! GONE!!! I guess while moving, the screw loosened up and the foot fell off. Since its in a table, it just fell to the ground. *sob* *sob*

I went back out to Wal-mart (and it takes desperation for me to shop wal-mart), Joanns (again! 30 mins away), and Sears. *sigh* Joanns only had a zipper foot, and someone there convinced me it would work in a pinch (I normally do crafty stuff, straight stiches, nothing fancy, never have seen a zipper foot before). Sears had the snap-on feet, but not the "leg" that attaches the foot to the machine. So I come home hoping the Joanns foot works. Only its a short shank and I need a long shank.

Bah! I've been to or called everyone in my county. I'm going to have to order it. Which is fine, but it won't be here for DAYS!

If anyone rents a UHaul truck in Virgina and finds a sewing machine pressure foot, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 10:12 PM

417 posts, read 1,284,251 times
I am truly sorry. Oh, I know how disappointing it is to has the urge to sew and have something go terribly awry. Sure your replacement pressure foot will get there in a few days (or a week), but who's to say that you are going to be in the mood when it does arrive. "Being in the mood" definitely applies to sewing as well as other things.

May the sewing angels hasten your pressure foot to your door.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessvanessa View Post
"Being in the mood" definitely applies to sewing as well as other things.
So true! I usually go on about two sewing binges a year. I'll spend every weekend for a month doing things. And then, the sewing machine sits there for the rest of the year, usually with my husband's pile of ripped work clothes he wants mended

Old 09-03-2007, 07:30 AM

50,438 posts, read 64,253,963 times
Bummer. I really enjoy sewing, but I've found that buying fabric, patterns etc is so expensive now that it just isn't worth it. I do still sew things like window treatments and slipcovers.. such a fun creative outlet.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:42 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,976,202 times
I saw this thread and thought you all were talking about sewers, as in the stinky kind!

Old 09-03-2007, 04:24 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,434,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I saw this thread and thought you all were talking about sewers, as in the stinky kind!
Me too- I was thinkin' someone made a hobby out of exploring underground sewers- you know, the huge type you always see in the movies that you can drive a car through. Kinda like an urban version of spelunking....lol.

Bob

Old 09-03-2007, 06:14 PM

10,066 posts, read 15,738,348 times
That must have been really frustrating, I'm impressed you got your sewing/crafts room all set up, though.

Are you sure you have a high shank machine or a slant shank which are also higher? Most of the high shank ones are pretty old. I have an antique singer, made in 1918, that has a high shank, and I believe some of the old Kenmore's have a version of the high shank.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I believe some of the old Kenmore's have a version of the high shank.
Hmmm Maybe its a slant. The low one didn't fit, but I do have a older Kenmore (not sure how old, but old enough to still be all metal and dials).

Old 09-03-2007, 07:39 PM

10,066 posts, read 15,738,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
Hmmm Maybe its a slant. The low one didn't fit, but I do have a older Kenmore (not sure how old, but old enough to still be all metal and dials).
If it's a Kenmore, it won't be a slant shank. There is supposedly a modified high shank that Kenmore used at one time. You need to order the specific one for your machine or you might have another delay. Ebay can be a good source for replacement parts, or you could try a site like this: Sewing Machine Parts

Old 09-03-2007, 08:57 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,556,993 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, who in the world would have a hobby of sewers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation