Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times

Advertisements

I am looking to upgrade my Janome 900 embrodery/sewing machine and might go to a different brand so I'm soliciting your comments about your machine.

What kind do you have? Bernina, Viking, Baby Lock? Brother? Other?
What kind of sewing do you do? quilting? embroidery?
What do you like about your machine?
What would you change in your machine if you could?
What brands have you had in the past, and can you compare ease of use, threading, attachments, etc. ?

I know people usually love the machine they have, which makes sense. I'd like to know what you have and why you like it (or maybe you're outgrown it and want something different).

I love the one I have, but it's time to get something newer. I'd like to do decorative embroidery for gifts (monograms, logos, special sayings, characters (dogs, cats, other cute animals), etc.. and some machine quilting.

Any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated and will be rewarded with reps (if that helps)!

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:18 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
And a rep for you, for starting a thread I find interesting!

My machine is a Kenmore-branded Elna computerized, and I really do like it. Last year, my sister got a Costco Singer for either her birthday or Christmas - I tried it and it felt so cheaply made. Yuck. So, I'll stick with mine til I decide on a real upgrade, which may be an embroidery machine. I've been eyeing them for years.

My sewing is mostly home dec and apparel. I recently got an amputee White heavy duty machine for thicker fabrics, but can't use it til a I get it a new foot.

What I like about my machine? It has plenty of stitches (150), it's strong, easy to thread, functions are easy to use. Very intuitive, at least forme.

What I'd change - I'd like the base to be narrower for doing sleeve hems. It's just a little chunkier than I'd like in that area, hard to get a sleeve on it. I can do without that convenience, it's just a little more involved and sometimes requires cursing.

Before this machine, I had an older Singer in its very own sewing table. It needed almost constant adjustment, and the bobbin thread tangled frequently. I got rid of it in favor of the Kenmore/Elna.

I also have a serger (Hobbylock), and may be looking to upgrade it in a year or so. Still, it's a good machine, even if we do have arguments over threading sometimes.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:58 AM

Thanks for the reply, and the rep.

Your comments are helpful. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks ease of threading is important!

My Janome cost a lot way back when I got it. It was a discontinued model and it's worked really well for me
for most of the sewing that I like to do. It was disappointing to find that just after that Janome also discontinued all the embroidery cards for it. At the time you could buy embroidery cards with various themes -- there were lots of choices and most of them were about $100, which is pricey but worth it if one was going to do a lot of repeats of favorite designs. Several weeks after I got the machine, the company pulled all the cards. There were still some on the market from other companies, but what I don't like about Janome is that it's proprietary -- no other company's products will work on it. Maybe that is beginning to change?

My machine has the software interface where I can hook up to the computer, make my own designs, or pull something off, or convert a picture or photo to embroidery and then use that in the machine. But all that was just too complicated for me to bother with. That meant I had to have the machine near the computer, and my sewing room is separate from the computer workstation. So, I never fully utilized that capability.

It's a wonderful, easy to use machine with lots of built in stitches, but I don't like the proprietary feature.

I also have a serger and have used that a lot. It's wonderful for all kinds of sewing - and a breeze to use.

Again, thanks for your inputs! I will definitely take a look at the Elna. I think I'm pretty much locked into buying from a local supplier who also gives lessons. If I buy something online or geographically somewhat distant, I'd be on my own learning the particular machine, and then learning to use it in new and innovative ways. I'd need the classes. There is so much to know about quilting, threads, tension, materials, stabiliziers, etc...

Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,523 times
Singer 401A with all decorative cams possible

Sears Kenmore Japanese-made free arm machine purchased in 1980

Singer model 15-125 straight stitch machine like this except black. The 15 series is a very durable machine for heavy work.

Brother (Japan) vintage pink straight stitcher

My interests are primarily tailored clothing and some home dec. Never was interested in the embroidery stuff. Those machines above ^ are all metal gears, etc. The Kenmore may have one nylon or plastic bushing but it's and easy and cheap repair.

I have a Brother XL2600I, too. I won it. I took it out of the box to see if it works, and it does. But it seems awkward to use it, kind of counterintuitive compared to all the other machines I own / use. It might be ideal for sewing lingerie and modern knit fabrics. Not built for anything heavy or for hard usage.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...9L._SX450_.jpg

Old 03-01-2013, 08:20 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Thanks for the reply, and the rep.
Back atcha!

Quote:
Your comments are helpful. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks ease of threading is important!

My Janome cost a lot way back when I got it. It was a discontinued model and it's worked really well for me
for most of the sewing that I like to do. It was disappointing to find that just after that Janome also discontinued all the embroidery cards for it. At the time you could buy embroidery cards with various themes -- there were lots of choices and most of them were about $100, which is pricey but worth it if one was going to do a lot of repeats of favorite designs. Several weeks after I got the machine, the company pulled all the cards. There were still some on the market from other companies, but what I don't like about Janome is that it's proprietary -- no other company's products will work on it. Maybe that is beginning to change?

My machine has the software interface where I can hook up to the computer, make my own designs, or pull something off, or convert a picture or photo to embroidery and then use that in the machine. But all that was just too complicated for me to bother with. That meant I had to have the machine near the computer, and my sewing room is separate from the computer workstation. So, I never fully utilized that capability.

It's a wonderful, easy to use machine with lots of built in stitches, but I don't like the proprietary feature.
[/quote/]

I looked at the Janome embroidery machine. There may have been drooling. But they were so godawful expensive, they scared me away. Especially when you considered the price of the cards! But proprietary technology can be such a pain (see: Apple).

I also have a serger and have used that a lot. It's wonderful for all kinds of sewing - and a breeze to use.

Again, thanks for your inputs! I will definitely take a look at the Elna. I think I'm pretty much locked into buying from a local supplier who also gives lessons. If I buy something online or geographically somewhat distant, I'd be on my own learning the particular machine, and then learning to use it in new and innovative ways. I'd need the classes. There is so much to know about quilting, threads, tension, materials, stabiliziers, etc...
If I recall correctly, Janome and Elna were taken over by White. I don't know if the Janome and Elna brands are still differentiated at all, but I know there was a big takeover in the sewing machine world. Still, White makes a quality machine. Otherwise, you're looking at Husqvarna Viking, Pfaff, or Bernina, with prices to match. I don't have any experience with Brother, and I hate Singer, so we won't talk about those.

When we were in Tucson, JoAnn Fabrics had a kiosk where a local sew/vac shop set up a dozen or so machines to try out and you could buy from there, as well. They gave lessons, but not at the store. It's another possible option, depending on how your local stores do it.

What brand is your serger? I'm looking forward to upgrading mine; I bought it pre-owned (heh). It belonged to one of the employees in the sew/vac, and she'd upgraded. Luckily, she had kept all of the instructions, and the binder with all of the stitches it would do, and the settings for each stitch. But the thread in the upper looper keeps coming loose from the tension wheel, and I'd honestly rather replace it with an upgrade than fix it right now.

Fun conversation! I miss talking machines and techniques. No one around me sews.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:24 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
I have a Brother CS6000i, a cheaper, slightly older Brother that I started with, and an antique Singer in a treadle cabinet that I've never been able to use, but that we keep for sentimental reasons.

I really like the newer Brother machine...I bought it from someone on craigslist for $25 when she was upgrading. I use it for sewing clothes (doll clothes, costumes for the kids, dog jackets, hemming jeans, etc) and for some simple home decor projects like pillows and basket liners.

I didn't want something really expensive, because I wouldn't know what to do with it. I had bought the cheaper Brother from Walmart because we are a family of short people and I needed to be able to hem jeans for all of us. It worked fine for that purpose, and for sewing drapes.

My favorite feature on the newer Brother is that you can sew without the pedal. It sounds like a weird way to do it, but I have a bunch of hardware in my right foot and holding it at an angle for a long time really hurts. I also like the top-loading bobbin and the LED light bulb.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:53 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
Quote:
I am looking to upgrade my Janome 900 embrodery/sewing machine and might go to a different brand so I'm soliciting your comments about your machine.

What kind do you have? Bernina, Viking, Baby Lock? Brother? Other?
What kind of sewing do you do? quilting? embroidery?
What do you like about your machine?
What would you change in your machine if you could?
What brands have you had in the past, and can you compare ease of use, threading, attachments, etc. ?

I know people usually love the machine they have, which makes sense. I'd like to know what you have and why you like it (or maybe you're outgrown it and want something different).

I love the one I have, but it's time to get something newer. I'd like to do decorative embroidery for gifts (monograms, logos, special sayings, characters (dogs, cats, other cute animals), etc.. and some machine quilting.

Any and all comments are welcomed and appreciated and will be rewarded with reps (if that helps)!

TIA
I've been sewing with the brand you left out, Pfaff, for more than 3 decades now. I have 2 that do both sewing and embroidery and I create my own designs for embroidery. I also have a serger that does coverlocking which comes in handy for knits. I sew clothing from basic to evening gowns, table linens, kids toys and pocketbooks and bags for the most part. I've done some quilting but it isn't my current cup of tea. I've taught both sewing and machine embroidery to small classes.

I've been very happy with the machines I have had but probably won't be updating as the costs seem to have gotten out of hand for the top of the line 'all the bells and whistles' kind of machines. The oldest machine I currently own is about 15 or 16 years old, the most recent is getting close to 7 years old.

I have enough decorator stitches built in for many uses and, if I really need more, the ability to create more on the machine or in software.

I've sewn on and owned Viking, Singer, Elna, Kenmore, Brother and Bernina. I still prefer the Pfaffs overall but found Brother had some good machines and at good prices the last time I actually looked around. Viking and Pfaff have become more similar over the years since both companies were bought out by the one that bought out Singer. I never learned to like Singer machines and I think it is mostly that they were going down hill just as I was sewing more. The old Featherweights were probably the best machine they ever made. For all I know they are better now than they were.

The oldest machines I've owned were Kenmore and Singer machines. The Kenmore was great for the first 2 or three years and then gradually lost tension and timing and was in need of repairs a lot. My Mom had a Kenmore for 20+ years, with the then new fangled cams for fancy stitches, and it never needed a repair. The very first machine I ever sewed on that was once converted to electric use and was operated with a knee pedal.... brand unknown and lost in the fog of distant memories.It was old as dirt when I got it but I do remember in the instruction book that they made a big deal about its new feature, stitching backwards!! Once I bought my first Pfaff back in the 80s after trying Elna, Bernina and Vikings I stuck with the brand and was never disappointed.

The one feature that always set the Pfaffs apart was the built in walking foot which my quilting friends tell me is a big deal for them. It's worked really well when I've sewn slippery fabric like silk charmeuse and really does help when you are trying to keep carefully matched fabric patterns aligned, like plaids. Since the first one I've had the needle threader mechanism on all the sewing machines and wish the serger came with one to because it is so easy to do for someone in need of reading glasses for every little thing.

A lot of new sewers get the cheapest or near cheapest machine they can find and then spend a lot of time trying to get it to sew well, finally get frustrated with it and quit. It seems 99% of the machines sold at places like the box stores and chain fabric stores tend to be bottom of the line machines that don't sew really well over time. If someone is new to sewing and looking into a new machine, I usually try to tell them to look around at dealers for the various brands in their area. A mid line machine will seem expensive at first, but it will run for years and years and in the long run be worth the expense. The added bonus is usually better service if something does go wrong (or you jam the machine doing something you shouldn't ) and a chance to take classes to learn your machine with help. Classes are nice for getting to know other people with the same interest. For me, even though I didn't learn a whole lot, it was a nice way to share with people who didn't have their eyes glaze over if I said something about sewing!

I hope that helps with what you wanted to know.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
I have an old Pfaff 1229. I don't sew much really but at the time wanted to do some heavy sewing with fake fur and fleece to make pet beds. I did a bunch of on line reading on old machines and then started calling around to old sewing repair shops to see what they had. Finally, called a guy who hadn't been actively repairing for awhile. Home business, bunch of old machines in his garage sort of thing. He had it out there with a broken foot pedal or something. Sold it to me for 50 or 75 I can't remember with no guarentee it could be fixed. Took it to a Pfaff dealer and thankfully it was something fairly easily replaced for another 50 or 75. And thats what I've been using since. I like it.
If I were going to buy new high end I suspect I'd look at Bernina but I couldn't say that is based on sewing on lots of different machines. Not interested in all the embroidery stitches and all that though.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pfaf...w=1024&bih=497

Old 03-04-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Back atcha!

If I recall correctly, Janome and Elna were taken over by White. I don't know if the Janome and Elna brands are still differentiated at all, but I know there was a big takeover in the sewing machine world. Still, White makes a quality machine. Otherwise, you're looking at Husqvarna Viking, Pfaff, or Bernina, with prices to match. I don't have any experience with Brother, and I hate Singer, so we won't talk about those.

When we were in Tucson, JoAnn Fabrics had a kiosk where a local sew/vac shop set up a dozen or so machines to try out and you could buy from there, as well. They gave lessons, but not at the store. It's another possible option, depending on how your local stores do it.

What brand is your serger? I'm looking forward to upgrading mine; I bought it pre-owned (heh). It belonged to one of the employees in the sew/vac, and she'd upgraded. Luckily, she had kept all of the instructions, and the binder with all of the stitches it would do, and the settings for each stitch. But the thread in the upper looper keeps coming loose from the tension wheel, and I'd honestly rather replace it with an upgrade than fix it right now.

Fun conversation! I miss talking machines and techniques. No one around me sews.
I love the photos of the "ancient" machines which "Sorry-I-Moved-Back" uploaded for us. Aren't they fun to look at!? thank you for sharing those with us!

I learned to sew in a sewing class in high school. I was 14, so long ago I can hardly remember. The teacher was a sweet gray lady who loved sewing, and loved teaching. I was hooked and have been sewing ever since. My early machine at home was a treadle singer. Can you believe it?
Then, much later I purchased a "store brand" that was actually made by White. It served me well for some 20 years, but newer machines with fancy stitches came around and enticed me, so that's when I got the Janome.
I really do love to sew. I used to do a craft shows but that became a job, if you know what I mean and gave that up. Now I just sew decorative gifts for the home, for family, for friends. When I was workiing, I made many of my own clothes - simple things like blouses and tailored jackets for 'casual business' wear. I also made some of my kids' clothes, and some stuffed toys for them, like teddy bears and cloth dolls.

Emerald Maiden, my serger is a "New Home" that has its upper tension all messed up. I haven't been able to
figure out how to fix it (and can't really figure out the Japanese directions --they don't give me the standard factory tension setting, and they're not complete enough for me to figure it out). I did use it a lot for many things, and enjoyed the versatility of it. It's really easy to sew with one. Someday I'll get the tension fixed (or buy another one) For now, it's on the shelf, and I've turned my attention to a machine that is easy to use for embroidery and machine quilting.

Yes, it's fun to talk about things that we are passionate about -- or at least a hobby that we enjoy. Thanks to everyone for all the comments. I enjoyed reading!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,778,396 times
Quote:

Emerald Maiden, my serger is a "New Home" that has its upper tension all messed up. I haven't been able to
figure out how to fix it (and can't really figure out the Japanese directions --they don't give me the standard factory tension setting, and they're not complete enough for me to figure it out). I did use it a lot for many things, and enjoyed the versatility of it. It's really easy to sew with one. Someday I'll get the tension fixed (or buy another one) For now, it's on the shelf, and I've turned my attention to a machine that is easy to use for embroidery and machine quilting.
My first serger was a Toyota (I don't think they are related to the car company). It was hard to set the tension perfectly and just awful to thread. I used it but it was very frustrating and I found myself going back to the standard sewing machine for finishing that should have been a breeze with the serger. I finally gave in and replaced it with a very basic Pfaff Hobbylock since I had found an excellent Pfaff dealership. In comparison to the Toyota it was a dream, especially because the tensions did not need constant fiddling. It was a workhorse so I used it a lot but it was limited being a 4 thread machine. Eventually I upgraded once again to a Coverlock and have been happy ever since. I never went for the fancier version with 8 (or is that 10?) threads machine since I didn't much care for the additional decorative work they allowed. The only fixing it has needed over the last 10 years or so is a dull knife blade and one that I managed to nick with a pin I accidentally left in.

You may want to take the serger into a repair place and see if they can reset the tensions for you. In the older models the changes in tension could be used to change the stitch type ( from a rolled edge to straight or to do flatlocking). You had to get each of the looper arms set just right, and then fiddle with each needle tension to accomplish it. The old Singer series of sewing books had one for sergers that was great for showing how each tension should look and I know there have been a few more recent books that have pictures of tension adjustments that you might be able to use to reset the tensions but it is a fiddly process.

If you can get a repair shop to do it and clean out the machine it may be worth it. If you just want to edge finish with it having it reset to a neutral setting will do the trick and you can just leave it. The newer ones have the ability to adjust tensions according to the stitch you want to have. Mine also has numerical tensions on display so that I can always go back to "neutral" if I have overdone a change. The old dials were very confusing on many of the home sergers and it was easy to miss the mark. If you decide to replace it someday look for differential feed as the single most important feature because that will make the difference in avoiding gathering when you don't want to, or stretching out when you don't want to or the exact opposite of those for decorative effects!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation