Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 01:37 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,148,514 times

Advertisements

Lived in my house in Cold Spring Harbor for 17 years and never had an issue.

Jury is still out on my current home (16 years)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 01:39 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,873 times
Smithtown has been talking about sewers a lot. Supposedly got a small budget from the state that covers 1/3 of the cost. I doubt they’ll get it within the newest 20 years. But it looks like it’ll go in the business districts near the two train stations first. So maybe you want to be around that area if you want to be first in line.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:48 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,239 times
I wouldn't call it a deal breaker but for me (and most others) my preference would be sewers. It's just one less thing you have to think about as a homeowner.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:09 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,203 times
Once we saw how common cesspools were, we realized we shouldn't use that as a deciding factor.

First house, Saint James (next to Smithtown) and inspection showed no problems. Two months in, we were getting backups into the house. Due to a variety of factors, we opted to fill in the old cesspool (original to 1950), dig out a new one in the sideyard, and it was about $5000 all told. Used A-1 in Bayshore, they were great. In the next 10 years we were there, we had no issues.

So even in the worst-case scenario, it's still not as big hardship as say, a new roof.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:10 PM

194 posts, read 168,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Whats wrong with ceesspools?
There's probably more homes in the US on cesspools than sewers.
Nothing to be scared of.
Do potential property homework and find out when where and how about the cesspool.
Post '65 is most likely cast so that's great.
Before that is hit or miss and most likely block which could have issues.
Just get the full skinny before you buy.
It's more of my inexperience with them combined with the horror stories I've heard that give me pause. An extra thing to deal with added to the maintenance list and it's a big ol' tank of poopy. I'll do more research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Smithtown has been talking about sewers a lot. Supposedly got a small budget from the state that covers 1/3 of the cost. I doubt they’ll get it within the newest 20 years. But it looks like it’ll go in the business districts near the two train stations first. So maybe you want to be around that area if you want to be first in line.
That's good to know, thanks for the info.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:25 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
As long as it’s not original block construction from the 50’s it’s not a big deal. Consider that you won’t have monthly sewer costs which balance out the cost of pumping.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:01 AM

168 posts, read 289,590 times
Hi,

This map shows the zones of Huntington with sewers.

http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Porta...huntington.pdf

They are trying to expand it because, well, it's cleaner, sewers can go to water treatment plants. Next expansion will be into Huntington station area.
Huntington Station sewer district to be reworked in revitalization effort - TBR News Media

Regards,
Hipo

Old 03-16-2018, 11:02 AM

26 posts, read 27,186 times
Nothing wrong w/ a cesspool. Just make sure its up to par.

One of the disadvantages is having them pumped out
on a good hot sunny afternoon. The disadvantage would be
for your neighbor downwind having a large family cookout.
A good way to get even if you think about it. Been there
done that. Man they can get ripe.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:00 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,355 times
While Commack and Smithtown have cesspools, there is an area in Kings Park which has sewers. I came from Nassau county to kings park 9 years ago. I was hesitant about cesspools. We added a new cesspool about 8 years ago and have had no issues. Our old were precast so we still have the older ones as well. If they are block, you need to be careful as they can cave in. As I said, there is an area in kings park which has sewers. It’s charter oaks area which is the more north area of kings park. As for other areas of Suffolk, I’m not really sure where there are sewers aside from the south shore such as lindenhurst. Hope that helps.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
As long as it’s not original block construction from the 50’s it’s not a big deal. Consider that you won’t have monthly sewer costs which balance out the cost of pumping.
Exactly! 24 years in my home, zero issues. I did install a drywell for our washing machine which helps tremendously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island