Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 09:29 AM

21 posts, read 10,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I have been hearing this for 20 years. I am still waiting
Well the bubble did burst in 2007 but you were bailed out of it. The cycle has just been reset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 09:30 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
My NYC knowledge fits into really massive bigly thimble. Nobody fits their knowledge of NYC into a thimble better than me. My awesome thimble stuffing rates a 10 and nobody can match it.

Here you go.

Where Goldman Sachs is outsourcing jobs - Business Insider

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ing-in-florida

If you're dependent on the taxpayers you just gotta believe the cash well will be full 4-eva. Have fun with that.
GE left NYC in the 70s. Exxon left in the 80s. This is nothing new.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:41 AM

345 posts, read 339,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINativeNotImpressed View Post
What am I supposed to do, pay 400k - 500k for a RANCH in eastern suffolk, or better yet move further west and pay even more for the same home?
idk I paid 355 for a colonial in eastern suffolk last year in a good district I must be doing something wrong

Old 10-20-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
idk I paid 355 for a colonial in eastern suffolk last year in a good district I must be doing something wrong
355 for a colonial in Eastern suffolk? How far east are we talking if you don't mind - what town? I don't know of any single family ranch homes below 400 in the northport, greenlawn, st james, smithtown, or three village areas with the rare exception.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:52 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
GE left NYC in the 70s. Exxon left in the 80s. This is nothing new.

So they left. Did any big companies replace them? That's the bigger point.

I think LI jumped the shark when Grumman left. LI has seen steady erosion of good local jobs and since Grumman. The state ranks 49th in business competitiveness, and the companies that left aren't being replaced. LI in particular repels companies thanks to the taxes.

Jobs don't need to be centralized as much as in the past, and technology makes it easier to spread many jobs into cheaper areas. Wall Street as a NY thing is also in decline.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:

I think LI jumped the shark when Grumman left. LI has seen steady erosion of good local jobs and since Grumman. The state ranks 49th in business competitiveness, and the companies that left aren't being replaced. LI in particular repels companies thanks to the taxes.

Jobs don't need to be centralized as much as in the past, and technology makes it easier to spread many jobs into cheaper areas. Wall Street as a NY thing is also in decline.

I believe this is a big part of the reason why tech companies on LI don't offer competitive salary and overall benefits packages. There are simply too many local candidates fighting for the same few jobs. I don't see how LI is able to attract out of state candidates, they are probably almost entirely native LI'ers who don't have the motivation to move.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:37 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:

And data centers have mostly moved to NJ so there are less “hands on” tech jobs in NYC.

The scary statistic is that for LI non-farm jobs, 1,195,000 out of 1,343,500 or close to 90% are in the service industry. Year over year, construction and manufacturing jobs are still declining. No other area in NY, even including Westchester, has such a high % of service jobs.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:41 AM

755 posts, read 1,081,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINativeNotImpressed View Post
Resorting to emotional name calling? Seems like you have no rational argument in there anywhere. When the non-competitive companies that inhabit LI start coughing up competitive wages maybe I'll make my triumphant return and pull in my $1 mill salary at last.
Just calling you out for your BS. You found a job in philly paying you a mil. Yet can’t find a job that can afford a 400k house in the nyc suburbs. You’re a troll and nothing more.

And I purchased my home for ~250k and spent 100k renovating it in st James within the last 5 years. You’ve done no research here. Just talking out of your a$$. A home 4 blocks from me was just asking 240k. Small. Hell yeah, really small. So expand it and still come under 400k.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:41 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I have been hearing this for 20 years. I am still waiting
I don’t think it’s going to burst any time soon, but will continue to be a slow leak. As with a car tire, as long as you pump it up regularly it won’t go flat.

40 years ago the big aviation manufacturing companies were going gangbusters. They’re gone.

20 years ago the big software manufacturing companies (CA, Symbol) were growing. They are either gone or decreasing their LI footprint.

What is taking their place now? Everyone can’t work for Chick-Fil-A or become a teacher.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:55 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times
Quote:
is this a serious question? Really?
Quote:
companies fleeing LI vs. NYC is a completely different animal. You won't get any argument from me that LI's days as a friendly home for major companies are long gone.
Quote:
yet people are still moving to NYC in droves. Developers can't build housing fast enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island