Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 07:54 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINativeNotImpressed View Post
There is also a plethora of very affordable townhouses and condos which reside in highly rated school districts. Point me to a single example in Suffolk county in a good school district which has affordable townhomes.
Most people on LI don't want Townomes or condos, they want single family homes. As far as the commute goes, commuters tend to buy in Nassau or Western Suffolk, it's no secret the commute form Suffolk sucks, hence why its cheaper except for a few areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 08:02 AM

21 posts, read 10,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Most people on LI don't want Townomes or condos, they want single family homes. As far as the commute goes, commuters tend to buy in Nassau or Western Suffolk, it's no secret the commute form Suffolk sucks, hence why its cheaper except for a few areas.

Ok so compare the value of single family homes in the areas I mentioned to either nassau or suffolk. They are literally about 50% cheaper. It's really no comparison. Believe me I wish this were not the case as I love LI but it is not being managed properly and I think there is a bubble that should logically burst. I think the only hope is drastic reduction in taxes and business friendly approaches to bring more jobs back. However with the incompetence of government this seems infeasible hence there is no hope. I live in Cherry Hill NJ and have a 16 minute PATCO train ride into center city Philadelphia. PATCO trains run every 8 minutes during rush hour and are very reliable compared to the nightmare that is the LIRR. Everything is better and cheaper and people are friendlier. The only thing I miss are the beaches, but the Jersey Shore is less than an hour away and so is Atlantic City.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
I also take issue with "most people on LI don't want townhomes or condos" where exactly did you get that data from? I would take an affordable townhome on LI -- hell I will take ANYTHING affordable. What am I supposed to do, pay 400k - 500k for a RANCH in eastern suffolk, or better yet move further west and pay even more for the same home?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:20 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Quote:
Ok so compare the value of single family homes in the areas I mentioned to either nassau or suffolk. They are literally about 50% cheaper. It's really no comparison. Believe me I wish this were not the case as I love LI but it is not being managed properly and I think there is a bubble that should logically burst. I think the only hope is drastic reduction in taxes and business friendly approaches to bring more jobs back. However with the incompetence of government this seems infeasible hence there is no hope. I live in Cherry Hill NJ and have a 16 minute PATCO train ride into center city Philadelphia. PATCO trains run every 8 minutes during rush hour and are very reliable compared to the nightmare that is the LIRR. Everything is better and cheaper and people are friendlier. The only thing I miss are the beaches, but the Jersey Shore is less than an hour away and so is Atlantic City.
LI's appeal is its proximity to the golden magical city, and that's the big secret. There's nothing else that's special about it. If and when the NYC bubble bursts or slowly deflates (which is already happening), LI will be toast. Philly just doesn't command the same kind of magic as Manhattan.

Not sure what's supposed to happen to those thousands of overpaid public "servants" and connected family members that live off LI taxpayers when reality catches up.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:34 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
LI's appeal is its proximity to the golden magical city, and that's the big secret.There's nothing else that's special about it.
thank you for providing the definition of a "suburb".
Quote:
If and when the NYC bubble bursts or slowly deflates (which is already happening), LI will be toast.
what you know about NYC would likely fit into a thimble. Regardless, parts of LI will likely slowly decline. Others will remain the same or continue to thrive.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
LI's appeal is its proximity to the golden magical city, and that's the big secret. There's nothing else that's special about it. If and when the NYC bubble bursts or slowly deflates (which is already happening), LI will be toast. Philly just doesn't command the same kind of magic as Manhattan.

Not sure what's supposed to happen to those thousands of overpaid public "servants" and connected family members that live off LI taxpayers when reality catches up.

Let's not forget that everyone refers to Brookhaven as Crookhaven like it's an everyday acceptable thing. I think they've been doing construction on the area of 347 and Route 111 for going on 6 or 7 years now. What a complete joke. They can't even fix potholes correctly.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:44 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post

what you know about NYC would likely fit into a thimble. Regardless, parts of LI will likely slowly decline. Others will remain the same or continue to thrive.
My NYC knowledge fits into really massive bigly thimble. Nobody fits their knowledge of NYC into a thimble better than me. My awesome thimble stuffing rates a 10 and nobody can match it.

Here you go.

Where Goldman Sachs is outsourcing jobs - Business Insider

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ing-in-florida

If you're dependent on the taxpayers you just gotta believe the cash well will be full 4-eva. Have fun with that.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:46 AM

755 posts, read 1,080,616 times
Quote:
I grew up on Long Island and now work as a software engineer making over 6 figures in Philadelphia. I fled the insanity of high taxes, extremely high cost of housing and living, and fewer tech job availability. The tech jobs that do exist on LI all pay less and have less benefits than most other tech hubs across the country. Aside from working on the island, who wants to sign up for a 2 hour door to door commute from suffolk into manhattan on the LIRR? I'd rather put a bullet in my head. Long Island is a bubble destined to burst. Absurd home valuations and endless tax increases are the future for the island unless something changes. Tech is the future and LI will be left in the dust.
Congratulations for not having to put a bullet in your head. As someone who's capable to command a million dollar salary as a software engineer but can't afford a 1 family ranch on LI, you made the right decision to leave.

One more unstable bloke off the island. Better for everyone.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Congratulations for not having to put a bullet in your head. As someone who's capable to command a million dollar salary as a software engineer but can't afford a 1 family ranch on LI, you made the right decision to leave.

One more unstable bloke off the island. Better for everyone.
Resorting to emotional name calling? Seems like you have no rational argument in there anywhere. When the non-competitive companies that inhabit LI start coughing up competitive wages maybe I'll make my triumphant return and pull in my $1 mill salary at last.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:23 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Long Island is a bubble destined to burst. Absurd home valuations and endless tax increases are the future for the island unless something changes.
I have been hearing this for 20 years. I am still waiting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island