Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 01:33 PM

21 posts, read 10,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Yup. Long Island laid them off and they went to RTC, Austin, Philly, Boston, etc. Expensive places, but nice, new, modern, better housing stock, infrastructure, higher ed (cheaper AND better). LI pays crap, everyone knows it, unless you are a cop or teacher. Commercial vacancy rates are high, rents low. Businesses have to be bribed with massive IDA tax breaks to even consider moving here. Let the apologist Nimby ding dongs argue. Everything you said is common knowledge here with hundreds of threads about it.

That said, no one gives a rats behind what some Philly expat (or never-pat) thinks. We pay a lot of dues and sweat equity to run on this economic treadmill and you haven't said anything that will inform anyone's opinion. Basically just instigating. If you're happy in Cherry Hill, goody. Knock yourself out.
I don't even quite know who I'm instigating against. Who the hell hangs out on these forums noticing post updates? I just googled Long Island high taxes and landed here. Well if it means anything I would truly love to make it back one day and am just voicing my frustrations at the current situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 01:37 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithateit View Post
Oh brother. You make in the low 6 figures. You don't make anything close to over 6 figures.

http://www.mlsli.com/homes-for-sale/...1780-207182099
This is the house that was for sale in the 230K range.
1000 sqft on a 1/4 acre. call it a cottage, i don't care. Put in 100-150K,and you'll have a 2000 sq ft ranch.

The symbol ~ does not mean less then, so my home was not 240K. However, in the above example of a home that sold just last month, it is <$250,000

Are you even sure you're a software engineer?
a 1 bd 1 ba knock down?! THAT is indicative of something?!?! It's probably already been flipped. It will list for $725k soon thereafter, that's a guarantee.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINativeNotImpressed View Post
I don't even quite know who I'm instigating against. Who the hell hangs out on these forums noticing post updates? I just googled Long Island high taxes and landed here. Well if it means anything I would truly love to make it back one day and am just voicing my frustrations at the current situation.
Who comes on a local forum to tell people how happy they are elsewhere, how much better it is and how frustrated they are that they can't come back?

ummm, you bumped an 8 month old thread and have posted non stop since.

next time, just search here and you could have read many hundreds of posts expressing the same frustration...most from people who actually live here are are directly impacted by the taxes and industrial exodus...and the same responses from the same agitated apologists. hundreds and hundreds of threads and posts. You're an IT guy, Google isn't your only friend with a search field.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:56 PM

21 posts, read 10,890 times
I'm afraid "Search Forums (Advanced)" is where I stop

Old 10-20-2017, 10:59 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINativeNotImpressed View Post
You clearly can't compute numbers because I said I make over 6 figures, which comes to about 145k with extra benefits added in. I have done extensive research and I think you are full of it yourself sir. 240k in st james, was it a 1 br cottage?
Over six figures is seven figures; seven figures is a million. You make six figures, low six figures; not "over six figures."

Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Sibby, you seem to be ignoring all the info presented about jobs leaving NYC and why this will accelerate. But never mind. Your argument is obviously about your need to believe that the gravy train will keep rolling forever. Arguing with that is a time suck.

If I were you, I'd have a little space in the back of my mind that accepts that maybe we idiots have a point. If you look towards the future as a cold-eyed realist, you'll realize that now's the time make a contingency plan.
Read this: https://www.labor.ny.gov/stats/nyc/

August 2017 New York City Non-farm employment reached its highest level ever at 4,430,300 workers. Jobs may leave but have always been replaced by new jobs being created.

Historical perspective:

August 1992 3,208,700

August 1997 3,468,700

August 2002 3,601,900

August 2007 3,764,100

August 2012 4,010,100

"But never mind" the facts, it seems you have your mind made up.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Read this: https://www.labor.ny.gov/stats/nyc/

August 2017 New York City Non-farm employment reached its highest level ever at 4,430,300 workers. Jobs may leave but have always been replaced by new jobs being created.

Historical perspective:

August 1992 3,208,700

August 1997 3,468,700

August 2002 3,601,900

August 2007 3,764,100

August 2012 4,010,100

"But never mind" the facts, it seems you have your mind made up.

Not sure why you two are arguing about NYC jobs. Those NYC stats pretty much follow population trends. Um, Long Island forum. We're not on NYC. How about the IDA handing $1.1m and $1.2 million in tax breaks to a muffin baker in Shirley and a Framing company out east also just this week. Not to BRING new jobs, just to keep them. Who picks up that tab? Taxpayer. Now the public ponzi jobs are moving private. Does that sound like economic growth?! Job creation? Nah, smoke and mirrors. Nice stats, though.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Not sure why you two are arguing about NYC jobs. Those NYC stats pretty much follow population trends. Um, Long Island forum. We're not on NYC. How about the IDA handing $1.1m and $1.2 million in tax breaks to a muffin baker in Shirley and a Framing company out east also just this week. Not to BRING new jobs, just to keep them. Who picks up that tab? Taxpayer. Now the public ponzi jobs are moving private. Does that sound like economic growth?! Job creation? Nah, smoke and mirrors. Nice stats, though.
What is more interesting is that NYC “non-farm” jobs were quoted. How many farm jobs are there in NYC?!?

Old 10-22-2017, 07:24 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
What is more interesting is that NYC “non-farm” jobs were quoted. How many farm jobs are there in NYC?!?
Interesting question, so I checked. There are lots more than you'd expect.

I'm done arguing about the shrinking employment pool in NY, and would rather watch it play out from a distance.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Interesting question, so I checked. There are lots more than you'd expect.

I'm done arguing about the shrinking employment pool in NY, and would rather watch it play out from a distance.
You should be done arguing about it when the facts show it is a false premise. And for monster, NYC jobs are filled to a great degree by people who live on Long Island, that's what suburbs are all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island