Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 02:53 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,182,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
We got our $350 last week.

Elke, do you have an idea of how much those property tax rebate checks will be? I am guessing 50-100 dollars. Sound about right or am I way off?

Sorry, I don't know the amount(s) at this point. Still trying to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 03:07 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,746,079 times
So what's a typical property tax bill these days for say, a 2000 sq ft bungalow in Wantagh valued at $500,000

Old 09-29-2014, 03:11 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,182,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
So what's a typical property tax bill these days for say, a 2000 sq ft bungalow in Wantagh valued at $500,000
Anywhere between $11k - $16k

Old 09-29-2014, 03:17 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,746,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Anywhere between $11k - $16k
That's so crazy, I don't see how a typical senior couple could afford to retire in Nassau without burning through their savings. From what I understand the cops are way overpaid in Nassau and it drives up the cost of living for everyone

Old 09-29-2014, 06:28 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,905,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
That's so crazy, I don't see how a typical senior couple could afford to retire in Nassau without burning through their savings. From what I understand the cops are way overpaid in Nassau and it drives up the cost of living for everyone
More like the school tax portion for the teacher salaries & benefits. Speed cams were put in place to make up for the cops, ironically in front of schools. And no doubt there are teachers complaining about them. Union members against union members haha. Oh wait, they're the ones with the last laugh, on us. Such a sad state of affairs.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:20 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,459,813 times
School Tax bill in Mail today on jewish holiday when office is closed. go to mailbox and enjoy

Old 10-05-2014, 08:57 AM

13,064 posts, read 18,165,309 times
Essentially, if you have kids and own (not Rent, as opposed to no mortgage) your home, the check will offset your school tax increase either in whole or part.

If you are a senior or childless the first check you get will be the property tax check. At least this is how it was explained to me by family members in all three categories that remain on L.I. According to them, you will get a check back so long as your school district did not exceed the 2% cap and that check will be for the amount of the school tax increase. I have not verified this but this is what they "understand". That said, when Pro's like Elke, don't know, I wonder if what the family "understands" is indeed accurate.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:33 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,459,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Essentially, if you have kids and own (not Rent, as opposed to no mortgage) your home, the check will offset your school tax increase either in whole or part.

If you are a senior or childless the first check you get will be the property tax check. At least this is how it was explained to me by family members in all three categories that remain on L.I. According to them, you will get a check back so long as your school district did not exceed the 2% cap and that check will be for the amount of the school tax increase. I have not verified this but this is what they "understand". That said, when Pro's like Elke, don't know, I wonder if what the family "understands" is indeed accurate.
First check you just need a kid 17 years or younger in 2012 and earn between 40K and 300K.

Second check have to own a home as a primary residence and make under 500K a year and district did not exceed 2% cap.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:56 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,905,545 times
Didn't a lot of districts exceed the 2% cap in a roundabout way but perhaps not with a standard calculation? School administrators were pointing the finger at the town and vice versa. How strict is this requirement and is there a list somewhere with final tallies?

Old 10-06-2014, 08:25 AM

69 posts, read 90,114 times
there are a lot of exemptions to the cap like pensions which are one of the biggest long term problems. with pensions based on these 6 figure salaries and people living longer we are going to have an issue keeping even the same level of services we have now. we could be paying a person for longer than their working career. i have no provlem with a pension system, but once you break six figures you should be able to save on your own like the rest of us. Beyond that, if you look at the number of towns floating bonds after the cap you can see they found a magic loophole to raise taxes. add debt which is exempt and move maintence off the normal budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island