Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 12:03 PM

49 posts, read 58,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Also did they do it them self or with a lawyer, if with a lawyer they need to sign it over to you and you are responsible for paying the fee, usually 50% of first year tax savings.
With a lawyer. At closing they will sign over the responsibility of the bill to us which is fine.

I'm just curious as to how long it takes to get a response back from the grievance. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 12:14 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,455,812 times
The lawyer who filed this year, Jan-March 2015 should get a response maybe by Fall 2015. If he accepts Jan 1, 2016 you will see updated value on line. If he does not accept and goes to small claims court you may not see the new assessed value till till Summer 2016

Either way a sucessful Jan-March 2015 tax grievance wont take effect until your 10-1-2016 school tax bill

Old 03-24-2015, 12:19 PM

49 posts, read 58,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
The lawyer who filed this year, Jan-March 2015 should get a response maybe by Fall 2015. If he accepts Jan 1, 2016 you will see updated value on line. If he does not accept and goes to small claims court you may not see the new assessed value till till Summer 2016

Either way a sucessful Jan-March 2015 tax grievance wont take effect until your 10-1-2016 school tax bill
Thanks! Very helpful.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:26 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,799,286 times
I'm moving ahead to sell this spring, as stated earlier.

I grieved this year online myself on behalf of a prospective new owner. Doesn't the county send a letter that the grievance was accepted and taxes reduced? If a prospective buyer looked up the tax rates this home buying season, would they see the pre-grievance rates or the updated lower rates?

Assessment time and anything at all to do with R.E. taxes always unnerved me big time. It's starting to feel good to be going.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I'm moving ahead to sell this spring, as stated earlier.

I grieved this year online myself on behalf of a prospective new owner. Doesn't the county send a letter that the grievance was accepted and taxes reduced? If a prospective buyer looked up the tax rates this home buying season, would they see the pre-grievance rates or the updated lower rates?

Assessment time and anything at all to do with R.E. taxes always unnerved me big time. It's starting to feel good to be going.
After you get the letter that your assessed value fell you could show them that. But tax rates dont come out till tax time around 10-1-2016 school and 1-1-2017 town so until Jan 2017 the buyer wont know full impact of tax savings.

For instance, you could have a 500K assessed home and get it lowered to 475k. But that is only a 5% reduction in assessed value, but school taxes usually rise around 3-4% so that is pretty much a meaningless reduction of a net 1-2% decrease. But wait what if your neighbors on average got a 7% reduction and you only got 5% that gets reallocated and you could end up with more taxes.

You need at least 10-20% reduction. to help your market value. I have filed and won four years in a row with an average win of 10-14%, I think the most they can give you in one year is 20% reduction. It is the folks who won 3-6 years in a row that really helps your property values.

But yes the moment you file your house is worth more as buyer counts in fact he may get lower taxes.

And add in Nassau county is about to do a County Wide Assessment next year, they are overdue, and this may wipe out a lot of folks who grieved tax savings. And for folks who never grieved it is much worse.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:00 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,897,251 times
^ why does the FMV stay the same low value the following year after a successful grievance? Sometimes it does not? I thought people grieve every year because it resets every year.

We've won twice - the first time we won, it went back to the higher value the following year, so we grieved again. We won that time, and even the following year the FMV stayed low - therefore when I looked into grieving the [lower] number (this year), I couldn't find anything to use as comps - nothing else was that low. Basically I didn't even have to grieve again this year because it stayed at the low value this time around.

I don't understand why the FMV stayed low 2 years in a row this win but not the last win. Same scenario for my parents' house which I did for them.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ why does the FMV stay the same low value the following year after a successful grievance? Sometimes it does not? I thought people grieve every year because it resets every year.

We've won twice - the first time we won, it went back to the higher value the following year, so we grieved again. We won that time, and even the following year the FMV stayed low - therefore when I looked into grieving the [lower] number (this year), I couldn't find anything to use as comps - nothing else was that low. Basically I didn't even have to grieve again this year because it stayed at the low value this time around.

I don't understand why the FMV stayed low 2 years in a row this win but not the last win. Same scenario for my parents' house which I did for them.
all depends on cut off date of when you won, which is why you need to automatically grieve two years in a row if you want a lower value to stick.

Nassau used to reassess every year, then to save money they went to every four years, when four years was up they were short funds so skipped it. Next year will be year six and Nassau will have to do it soon.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:31 AM

1 posts, read 964 times
I want to fill out my own petition (form RPTL 730) with small claims court after I rejected the ARC assessment - having trouble filling out the form, has anyone done this on their own? Do you have a copy of the form filled out that i can use as a template?

Old 04-15-2015, 07:33 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,736,864 times
Nassau county should just declare bankruptcy, fire everybody, and start all over

Old 04-15-2015, 07:42 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,897,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Nassau county should just declare bankruptcy, fire everybody, and start all over
They can't - all the incoming checks will mount and then they'd fall behind the 8 ball even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island