Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 05:05 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times

Advertisements

Just a friendly reminder:

If you live in Nassau County, the official deadline to grieve your taxes this year is March 1st!
Since that's a Saturday, they'll accept grievances till Monday, March 3rd.

You can try and do this yourself, or hire one of a number of grievance companies. They usually charge nothing if they're not successful, but get 50% of the first year's savings if they are; most also charge a nominal appraisal fee if successful as well as a small filing fee if they handle the appeals process.

Here's a link to Nassau County's ARC site (Assessment Review Commission):
http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/ARC/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:01 AM

157 posts, read 285,119 times
If you're like me you're probably getting dozens of solicitations from grievance companies so the deadline is hard to forget. I did mine myself and attached a recent bank appraisal (bought my house in December) to support my claim that they've over-valued my house by $60k.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 AM

15 posts, read 52,773 times
I'd like to do this on my own but I see that the county's website only allows you to search recent sales to use as comparison for house values. Is there a way to search the assessed values of homes that were not recently sold?
I'd like to find similar houses in my neighborhood with a lower assessed market values than mine to use as a comp in order to grieve my market value.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:55 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM NY View Post
I'd like to do this on my own but I see that the county's website only allows you to search recent sales to use as comparison for house values. Is there a way to search the assessed values of homes that were not recently sold?
I'd like to find similar houses in my neighborhood with a lower assessed market values than mine to use as a comp in order to grieve my market value.
http://www.mynassauproperty.com

you'd have to look them up 1 by 1 with an address on that site.

Problem is the grievance site asks for "Recent Sales of Similar Houses (optional)" and their sale price and sale date so they key on that.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-26-2014 at 02:19 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,801 times
Although I see it says that they will not raise values....

has anyone had that happen?

my value isn't terrible, better than some, but I could submit a claim based upon current sales that would lower my assessment. I just don't want to try and save a few bucks and end up being on a "list of undervalued houses"...........

Old 02-26-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
Although I see it says that they will not raise values....

has anyone had that happen?

my value isn't terrible, better than some, but I could submit a claim based upon current sales that would lower my assessment. I just don't want to try and save a few bucks and end up being on a "list of undervalued houses"...........

I've never heard of anyone have their assessment increase as a result of a grievance.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 AM

15 posts, read 52,773 times
So identical houses in your neighborhood with lower assessments can't be used as examples to substantiate that your house is over assessed unless they have been recently sold? Similar houses in the same neighborhood should have roughly the same assessed market value regardless of when they were sold.
Has anyone been successful in grieving their taxes using examples of houses with older sale dates?

Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,849 times
Anyone have a referral for a tax Grievance company that does commercial property in Nassau?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:09 AM

157 posts, read 285,119 times
I think what matters most is recent sales and prices, not so much assessment of other similar homes because the county simply over-assesses everyone IMO. I've seen many homes assessed in the 500k range selling for less than 450k. The true value of the home is what the market will bear, not what some moneygrubbing corrupt county says it's worth.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shera11375 View Post
I think what matters most is recent sales and prices, not so much assessment of other similar homes because the county simply over-assesses everyone IMO. I've seen many homes assessed in the 500k range selling for less than 450k. The true value of the home is what the market will bear, not what some moneygrubbing corrupt county says it's worth.
Recent sales matter; current asking prices do not (they often reflect "wishful thinking" ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island