Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:35 PM

8,834 posts, read 21,393,379 times

Advertisements

curious about the idea of the migration to NC/Fla as a form of white flight. I had honestly never thought of it as such. I thought it was folks sick of the rat race, making their equity work for them. While neither area holds much appeal for me, NC has decent job opportunites and pay, and people can buy a house that truly appeals to them, with land etc. and not be hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

That would be true of me. I just want a more peaceful and serene (and WARMER) life. Race has nothing whatsoever to do with my wanting to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 05:55 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,499,886 times
Response to Jrprofess:

Quote:
Nbres, I know we do not necessarily see eye to eye...but some questions. Why do you think so many folks are sour on North Babylon?
Depends, but I think it is mostly due to the fact that the area is perceived by the quality of the school district and not the actual hamlet of North Babylon. Some of it is pure snob attitude from wealthier folks on the North Shore or just classism. NB along with Deer Park is seen as a sort of white trash area by some. I think the area is in a prime location, the neighborhoods are well maintained, etc...as I have explained on earlier posts.

Is the area changing (meaning more non-whites) - a little bit here and there, but nothing more than what is happening in most areas of Long Island today.

Quote:
You defend the area adamantly (and I have no personal knowledge of the area having not lived there) but aren't your rampant concerns about race the same perspective that others have of NB and why they think the area is getting worse?
Because I know other Long Islanders, despite all their denials, will judge NB solely on the fact that there are too many Blacks in the school district. They use codes like, NB is "not a good district." In Long Island speak that means NB has too many non-whites. The actual hamlet of NB is around 87% to 90% White, but the school district is only 65% White. The rest is 20% black, 10% Hispanic and the rest Asian/other. Almost all of the non-Whites come from West Babylon of which part is zoned for NB schools. The district has also gotten some real bad press of late - and that certainly hurts.

Quote:
They say it in veiled comments about it being more "diverse" or that the high school is a bit darker than others, and they are passing judgement. You get quite passionate about your support for the area, which is fine, and dismiss their comments as incorrect...yet they are applying your logic concerning diversity.
Of course I don't want to see my town put down. Unfortunately what other folks say is true to a degree - the high school is darker than most and that is not a good thing. If NB was able to expel all of its non-White students the district would be quite good. The statistics are brought down as a result. However, that doesn't mean that the schools are bad, just some segments of the student body.

Quote:
Many would not move there because it is too "diverse" for their liking...an I idea I think you would support (not one that I would necessarily). Not trying to pick a fight about NB, but this perspective that outsiders have of NB can not be new to you. Haven't you heard similar comments?
Of course. If they are honest they'll just say there are too many black kids in the district. I'm fine with that. If they are not honest they'll trot all kinds of statistics and blah, blah, blah to explain why NB is "not a good school district." Then I feel the need to respond to their hypocrisy. Then they say I'm the racist when their kids are snug in some 90%-plus White school district. Of course they say race has nothing to do with their choice to send their kids to the 90%plus school district. What BS!

Quote:
I am not speaking to city-data stats, but what others see in the neighborhood. It is ignorant, but seems to line up with your concerns...??
Only ignorant if they are dishonest. Yes there are more non-whites in NB schools than in most on Long Island. The elementary schools are pretty good though. The middle school has improved a great deal. The problem to some degree is the high school. I have my concerns of course. The actual hamlet of North Babylon is a fantastic place to live though.

I'll be honest. I wish we had school vouchers so if I wanted to I could stay in NB, but have the option of sending my kids to a Catholic High School. Most White people here with kids in the school district love it. This is a very homey place to live. Its like a small town with almost Mayberry like qualities. I am personally taking a wait and see attitude - if the high school does get darker then maybe I'll have to leave, but for now I'm quite happy here. This is a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island