Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:17 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,219,720 times

Advertisements

You are right Nancy and FL has a very large hispanic population, although not as many illegals as other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 10:15 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,151,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilibrarian View Post
Sean times four--I agree completely!!!!! I also really don't understand why people think Long Island is changing overnight. It has been a place of ethnic, racial,economic and religious diversity forever. Maybe it's a Suffolk thing (Sorry, had to say it, and I want to move to Suffolk).
While I think LI has been diverse it's never been well integrated and the lines of demarcation have always been obvious between many groups and neighborhoods.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:05 AM

123 posts, read 647,735 times
Very, very true. my sister describes it as a series of bubbles. While I don't think that's necessarily a good thing, I still don't understand why people think everything's going down. Even the neighborhoods that are "changing"-- it's taken quite a long time, and every one that stands out to me is in Western Nassau. Then again, I grew up in a town that shares a border with one of the rougher towns on LI and it hasn't changed in mine or my parent's lifetimes, so that may color my perception.

I'm curious about the idea of the migration to NC/Fla as a form of white flight. I had honestly never thought of it as such. I thought it was folks sick of the rat race, making their equity work for them. While neither area holds much appeal for me, NC has decent job opportunites and pay, and people can buy a house that truly appeals to them, with land etc. and not be hanging on by the skin of their teeth.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:49 AM

208 posts, read 913,998 times
the problem I see is, how exactly do we integrate the towns here without them becoming less desirable? I am sure this works for a lot of towns, but I can speak from experience having grown up in Valley Stream, and 3 years ago purchasing a home there. The change in the town is night and day, and the reputation that VS now has is certainly not a good one. Back when I was growing up, I felt safe here, walking the streets alone at night, walking home from the train station at 2 AM, not a thought of anything happening. Now, forget it, I would not do that now. The schools used to be good, now they are not so good.

Unfortunately what is the common denominator in this town and others like it? White people have moved out and minorities have moved in. Why are the minorities that are moving in seemingly dragging down the town? Why hasn't the town maintained it's "luster" or whatever it used to have since this change has occurred? I hate to make these points and discussions, but how can anyone defend this, when it seems to be fact.

this fact alone is why LI will never be fully integrated and will continue to be what it is.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,489,578 times
Quote:
I'm curious about the idea of the migration to NC/Fla as a form of white flight. I had honestly never thought of it as such. I thought it was folks sick of the rat race, making their equity work for them. While neither area holds much appeal for me, NC has decent job opportunites and pay, and people can buy a house that truly appeals to them, with land etc. and not be hanging on by the skin of their teeth.
, from the librarian.

The phenomenon of White flight from whole regions and states has been well documented by the Census Bureau, the New York Times and other publications. For whatever reasons the factual data sets show that White native-born Americans are leaving the most diverse parts and/or states of the country for less diverse regions and/or states.

Quote:
Unfortunately what is the common denominator in this town (Valley Stream) and others like it? White people have moved out and minorities have moved in. Why are the minorities that are moving in seemingly dragging down the town? Why hasn't the town maintained it's "luster" or whatever it used to have since this change has occurred? I hate to make these points and discussions, but how can anyone defend this, when it seems to be fact.
[/quote], from xbure9x.

The above says it all. Where are those former Valley Stream residents moving to? I doubt they are moving to a diverse neighborhood. They are likely to be moving to the Whitest area they can find on Long Island or they are leaving the state for a nicer place that reminds them of how their home town once was.

How many Long Islanders do you know want to leave? Yes, most of it has to do with economics, but when they say stuff like," I want to live in a good school district in a good area, but I can't afford it," you know what they really mean.

Race is the Bull in the China Shop and everyone wants to dismiss it, but it is a reality that can not be ignored.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:42 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,489,578 times
Default North Carolina is Whiter than New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
White New Yorkers (New York is probably only 59% White) are going to Florida, but also North Carolina

Well, they will be very surprised then because North Carolina has a higher % of black people than New York. Maybe these people could move to The Yukon Territory where they would not be troubled with anyone else.
North Carolina is 68% White

Florida is 62% White

New York is 61% White

Old 12-06-2007, 08:28 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,308,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
, Race is the Bull in the China Shop and everyone wants to dismiss it, but it is a reality that can not be ignored.
Nbres, I know we do not necessarily see eye to eye...but some questions. Why do you think so many folks are sour on North Babylon? You defend the area adamantly (and I have no personal knowledge of the area having not lived there) but aren't your rampant concerns about race the same perspective that others have of NB and why they think the area is getting worse? They say it in veiled comments about it being more "diverse" or that the high school is a bit darker than others, and they are passing judgement. You get quite passionate about your support for the area, which is fine, and dismiss their comments as incorrect...yet they are applying your logic concerning diversity. Many would not move there because it is too "diverse" for their liking...an I idea I think you would support (not one that I would necessarily). Not trying to pick a fight about NB, but this perspective that outsiders have of NB can not be new to you. Haven't you heard similar comments? I am not speaking to city-data stats, but what others see in the neighborhood. It is ignorant, but seems to line up with your concerns...??

Old 12-06-2007, 09:33 PM

Jrprofess,
When I lived in NB (1961-1989) the area between Belmont Ave. and Little East Neck was pretty segregated with whites south of the Southern State and blacks to the north. Belmont Elementary which is on Barnum St was pretty well integrated as was Belmont Lake JHS, Robert Moses JHS and of course NBSHS. The makeup of the white area was Italian, Irish and whatever else European stock you had. My cubmaster who was very much loved by us was a Puerto Rican who lived in the white area. Except for a few bumps while I was in HS (class of '77) race relations were generally good.
That's pretty much how it was back in the 60's, 70's & 80's, I'll defer to NBer on what the makeup is now.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:28 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
This country was once built on the concept that each generation would be able to do better than the previous, but I don't think that will be true for our kids.
In all fairness I don't think thats a written rule...Ithink thats something we all just hope for.
In these new times things are changing in dog years. With computers and the like technology things move in leaps and bounds beyond anything we might have comprehended several decades ago.
In this day and age we need to think more out of the box.
Its funny though...even with this fast moving technology I think it may bring us back to finding answers more with our hearts and souls and possibly a little less than with our supposed intelligence if you know what I mean.
Sometimes its getting back to our roots. Something I think we're losing in this fast paced society.
Just some food for thought

Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 AM

And no one promised that you'd do better in the same neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island