Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 03:04 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times

Advertisements

37k a year in property taxes

That is a lot of money, kathleen. Would you believe that on the Retirement site there is someone who pays ....taa daaa... forty-nine dollars a YEAR for a home with ten acres. Do we really get that much more here ? I am not sure that we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 04:03 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Are you implying that only LI could have these problems due to illegal immigration? Last I checked, every state in the union has illegal immigrants within their border to provide companies with cheap labor.
Just a possibility and not just with illegals but any kind of situation where non-assimilated groups gather. Long Island has never been a real melting pot even amongst blacks and whites much less newly arrived people with wider cultural differences than the current population. I think you'll be seeing more conflicts between some groups as their populations grow and if LI's economy doesn't keep up.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:50 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Default You assume...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Not all Whites are born wealthy (where did I say that?), most of us are just working class folks just trying to survive. There is a real misconception among wealthy liberal whites that every white person is somehow part of the wealthy class. Is this your attempt to discredit my post...I am not wealthy, nor affiliated with a political party...I am still paying off student loans that have been on my books for over a decade...

There are lots of whites in low end service jobs - mainly due to the fact that good industrial jobs have been sent to China. That's a curious post as I would not be shocked if I dug through your history of posts to see some reference to mexicans working in restaurants, landscaping or factories...but do you really think you can sell the concept that whites are disadvantaged in the workplace?? C'mon...

As far as your comment about CEO's and such - just wait. Once the current generation of baby boomers retires they will be replaced with hordes of foreigners. Newsday just published an editorial about how many of the doctors and college professors are foreigners already. You are basing your research on NEWSDAY?? Nbres, you know why foreigners are the prevailing college professor now (and I have intimate knowledge of higher education)..because of the simple fact that anglos with PhD's in specialized areas of medicine, business and science (and non-anglos for that matter) make FAR more in the private sector. There are far fewer american citizens vying for these spots because it simply doesn't pay...and they can make far more stopping at an MBA/MS and going into the private sector (of course you think there are no opportunities for these poor european white folks). So who does that leave to take these college spots...foreign-based PhD's interested in coming to the US (you might refer to them as "hordes of foreigners"). But believe me, if a citizen with the same credentials was available they would have the job, as it COSTS the school far less than the expense of visas, green cards, etc. I have been involved with these processes first hand, it is a fact. And foreign born doctors has an awful lot to do with overseas medical school costs versus the horrific expense of schooling here...oh, and social medicine in europe pays squat. And what country pays the most and needs the most doctors...The good 'ole US of A. Where is this unemployment line of affirmative-actioned white casualities with medical degrees????

The white population is being displaced - its just a matter of time before it happens in the boardrooms of corporate Amerikwa. What is with all of this claim to unalienable rights because you get to qualify yourself as white? You claim it is simply an immigration issue and then rant about how the "white" population is shrinking. Don't pretend you are not a bigot. If your issue was with immigration you would make no distinction in race, or which one was shrinking, you would simply say there are too many people here. But it is a problem for you because they are not your same race. What if these immigration levels that have you so troubled were made up entirely of your race? Would you have the same concern...

This country was once built on the concept that each generation would be able to do better than the previous, but I don't think that will be true for our kids.

Ugh...I think I need to stop responding. I am off to hang with Clammy.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:22 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
Quote:
Is this your attempt to discredit my post...I am not wealthy, nor affiliated with a political party...I am still paying off student loans that have been on my books for over a decade...
Sorry to hear that you've been ripped off by the higher education system that seems to have taught you to be a self-hating white liberal.

Quote:
That's a curious post as I would not be shocked if I dug through your history of posts to see some reference to mexicans working in restaurants, landscaping or factories...but do you really think you can sell the concept that whites are disadvantaged in the workplace?? C'mon...
Whites are being displaced by foreign immigrants. Especially in the lower end of the service economy. I once cut grass, shoveled snow , delivered newspapers, worked in food preparation, etc...Those jobs are now being done by foreigners. Why? because immigrants are willing to work for less. Simple supply and demand. More labor supply than demand. There are still millions of working class Whites in America doing those jobs, but they are facing displacement.

Quote:
You are basing your research on NEWSDAY??
Actually Newsday based its article on Steve Camarota's research from the Center of Immigration Studies. Here is the link: Center for Immigration Studies

Quote:
Where is this unemployment line of affirmative-actioned white casualities with medical degrees????
Try finding a White doctor today. It seems like every doctor is from India. Where are all the White doctors you speak off. The medical schools in this country are full of non-Whites who have displaced potential white medical students. Some of that displacement is due to affirmative action.

Quote:
You claim it is simply an immigration issue and then rant about how the "white" population is shrinking. Don't pretend you are not a (Why do you feel free to call other people names for expressing their opinions, stick to the facts) bigot. If your issue was with immigration you would make no distinction in race, or which one was shrinking, you would simply say there are too many people here. But it is a problem for you because they are not your same race.
I think I've made that pretty clear. I want to preserve a future for my own people. From the founding of this country to about the 1960s this country believed in preserving the future for each generation of White Americans. Read Jefferson, Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt and you will be shocked to learn what kind of country they wanted to leave behind for people of European ancestry.

If the United States doesn't limit or stop Third World immigration then there will be no future for the United States. This country will suffer the same fate that the Roman Empire did. Civil War, Chaos, and then the Dark Ages.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
I don't know why you keep debating this, nbres. If you feel so against all the immigration and whatever that is ruining Long Island, move. That's what we did. There are still plenty of places in the USA not ruined by all the problems Long Island is currently suffering from. It's not going to change there. It will only get worse. So instead of debating and worrying about it or just 'fuming' (I feel your pain) move away from there and live well somewhere else.

No one can stop 'these problems' but you can enjoy your life in the process. Long Island's day is done IMO (others are welcome to stay and enjoy if they are happy). Life DOES exist away from Metro NY.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:07 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I don't know why you keep debating this, nbres. If you feel so against all the immigration and whatever that is ruining Long Island, move. That's what we did. There are still plenty of places in the USA not ruined by all the problems Long Island is currently suffering from. It's not going to change there. It will only get worse. So instead of debating and worrying about it or just 'fuming' (I feel your pain) move away from there and live well somewhere else.

No one can stop 'these problems' but you can enjoy your life in the process. Long Island's day is done IMO (others are welcome to stay and enjoy if they are happy). Life DOES exist away from Metro NY.
I have to agree with you Gyp. Seems to me some people would prefere to debate and argue points rather than just listen. People need to vent...and thats fine but to debate a persons opinion is a waste of time to me and the only thing its good for is to heat people up and form negative energy. I've NEVER seen it help. Its like the libs and neocons in constant debates about who's party is better....like anyone is going to change anyone else's opinion.
To me its all about ego and arguing.
You don't like something then try and change it with actions...like what you said...you don't like it here than move and enjoy your life.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:59 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times
Quote:

Its day as a refuge for the middle class, in its present form, is done. One of two things is going to happen:

1) People wake up, realize that American Suburbia is an idea that has outlived its useful life, and get behind some economic development, this new tunnel they want to build, high density housing, and mass transit. As a result, Nassau will start to look a lot like Queens...some people seem to think that's terrible.

2) The current process continues, and this place becomes divided between estates & McMansions for the rich, and slums for the people who service them.

Personally, I think Queens is better, but then, I'm biased; I'm from there.

Perhaps, I'm wrong - the Arabs and the Israelis will miraculously see the light, and embrace each other singin' "Kumbayia." Or, tomorrow, the nuclear power industry starts a crash development program, to produce that cheap energy that the suburban lifestyle depends on.

"Leave if you don't like it"? What the hell's that - a quote from an outtake from the movie, "Titanic"?

Old 12-02-2007, 03:55 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
Default Would love to move, but

Quote:

Would love to move, but I'm stuck here for the present; job, family, etc... Anyway, why should I move. Also, it will not be long before every place in the country is having the same problems. In a few years there will not be any good places to run to. Then what?

Old 12-02-2007, 05:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kate View Post
LI will stay the same for decades to comes. It doesn't seem any different what-so-ever than it did 5-10- years ago.
The north fork has changed quite a bit in the past 18 years.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:

Fleeing the problem of an influx of types unlike ones own ethnic or racial is the same thing as 'White Flight' from a few decades back.

People have to decide:
1) Do I throw my hands up and flee?
2) Do I stay put and wait it out?
3) Do I stay put and try to preserve the community while meeting new, 'different' neighbors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island