Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:37 PM

126 posts, read 228,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
My FIL and MIL have been living on his pension for over 30 years on LI. He is able to live here and pay $15,000. in taxes alone. That's not rewarding....that's overkill. That is no small amount of money by any means. He is getting more now than when he worked. How is that good for the company? It's not no matter how you look at it.
OK, let me ask if he's private or public sector?

If public, no argument.

If he worked in the private sector, the plan was that a small part of his compensation was invested (and supposed to grow) for him to live off in retirement. Probably worked for a huge company with a nice pool of cash for a pension fund. The market crapped the bed, people started living longer & healthier so they could enjoy that next egg. Those factors are a part of why pensions are disappearing.

The real bane of their existence (in the private sector) is that the greedy suits up top want a bigger piece of the pie that their employees earned with their blood, sweat and tears.

Last edited by Monty Brewster; 11-15-2012 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 AM

629 posts, read 1,707,150 times
HA! HA! HA! - well the first hammer didn't even swing yet and the government employed clowns can't even provide information about the "new program".
LI homeowners still in the dark over FEMA rebuilding program

Government only does TWO THINGS with any degree of efficiency: attract incompetence and foster inefficiency.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:20 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,708,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Wait till the unions get their finger in the pie the programs cost will skyrocket...
Yes you can bet on that!

Old 11-17-2012, 09:19 AM

854 posts, read 1,452,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Wait till the unions get their finger in the pie the programs cost will skyrocket...
If only a REAL capitalist organization like Halliburton could get in on it instead! You know we'd get REAL QUALITY at ROCK BOTTOM PRICES! ROFLMAO!

Old 11-17-2012, 09:23 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,190,085 times
The dirty little secret is that the Feds generally can't ramp up or implement something like the proposed program, they depend on private companies who specialize in implementing government programs. And they aren't cheap.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:08 AM

629 posts, read 1,707,150 times
Let's hope this sign was not made by on of the FEMA contractors assisting residents with their "quick fixes".

FEMA inspectors assess damaged homes in Nassau

Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,878,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Your federal tax money.

PS: Isn't that spelled "gubmint?"
It's his southern accent.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:14 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,878,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
HA! HA! HA! - well the first hammer didn't even swing yet and the government employed clowns can't even provide information about the "new program".
LI homeowners still in the dark over FEMA rebuilding program

Government only does TWO THINGS with any degree of efficiency: attract incompetence and foster inefficiency.
I am licensed in both Nassau and Suffolk. I would like to think that if this program should ever materialize, that FEMA will call on the counties for a list of licensed trades and hire those of us who are also EPA certified. Not holding my breath.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:02 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,190,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's his southern accent.
You should hear me say "yawl" or my obscenity laced pig calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island