Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 AM

20,945 posts, read 28,468,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignan655321 View Post
Dont forget Colin Ferguson, the man who murdered 6 and injured 19 on the Long Island Rail Road back in 1993.
He was in my friends class at Adelphi University. She said he was quiet and very strange. 2 days later he committed the crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,659 times
Default I just subscribed and am fascinated to hear more about this incident.

[quote=nancy thereader;1653547]remember back in the late 70's (I think) in Smithtown these kids killed another kid who witnessed them steal a motorless minibike. They killed him by shoving pebbles down his throat. It was a big story then, kinda gruesome.

A little boy whose last name was Pius ? And, the killers were two brothers (nice family that one). I think that one got out of jail on a technicality (whatever that is. i never understand those)[/QUOTE

Can anyone please elaborate on this story? I moved to Long Island in 1989 when I was a little girl and have read and or hear about a lot of the cases that have been brought up. I have never heard about this particular case pertaining to a young child murdered by being forced to swallow pebbles? This sounds quite disturbing.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:24 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,809,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
He was in my friends class at Adelphi University. She said he was quiet and very strange. 2 days later he committed the crime.
he was denied an insurance claim with the company my sister works for. now, everytime there is a threat against the insurance company, they have to take it seriously.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 16,815 times
Default 1961 Family murder on Herricks Rd.

I well remember this crime. The circumstances were particularly ironic and tragic. I grew up on the other side of Jericho Turnpike, a few blocks from the family who were murdered. I attended Corpus Christi School in Mineola (although I grew up in Garden City Park), and I remember the Sunday Mass at which prayers were asked for this family, who were also parishioners, who had been butchered. The relative who had murdered them was, I believe, an immigrant from some European country (like Czechoslovakia or Hungary) and had been sponsored by them to emigrate to America. The murders occurred within weeks of Christmas. The family members were all out of the house (I think it was a Saturday), shopping for Christmas. Something had set the relative off and he stabbed one of the sons. He then hid the body in a room, and waited in the house for the other family members to return. As they returned, one by one, he would stab them to death and stash their bodies away in a separate room. I also remember that it was reported that his attacks against each family member was quite vicious and that he had also stabbed the family dog over 50 times. At the time, the 1961 song by the Tokens "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" was getting a lot of air play, and it became indelibly (and hauntingly) linked in my mind with this family slaughter (in fact, the lyrics actually seemed to underscore this connection). Years later, I found that one of my brothers had the same exact association with this song. I recall press descriptions of family Christmas presents, wrapped and hidden away in closets, being found by the police. It was this mass murder which caused my family, and others in the neighborhood, to begin locking our doors and windows at night (yes, back then people still felt safe enough to go to sleep for the night with unlocked doors). Weeks later, the murderer was picked up in a rowboat off the coast somewhere down South claiming to be a refugee from Cuba. He was sent to Pilgrim State Hospital for the criminally insane. For all I know he might still be there. He also had a son, who later grew up to walk into his therapists office, pull out a gun and shoot himself in the head.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,714,222 times
Default Famous Long Island Crimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
All that money. All that hatred and evil . Really Shakespearean.
Property taxes.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:40 AM

200 posts, read 380,204 times
Default Valley Stream Murder on Horton Road (1983?)

Anyone remember that one? Kelly Tynes murdered by neighbor boy, she was 13 (I think) at the time. It rocked the town when it happened:

"lured into a neighbor's house and beaten, stabbed and strangled to death,"

What Happened On Horton Road - New York Times

Last edited by Cosmosandmind; 06-04-2012 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-04-2012, 11:24 AM

3 posts, read 16,815 times
Since I'm here, does anyone remember someone named Sammy Dinicola (I'm not sure of the spelling) who came from the Garden City Park area and who was guilty of murdering several young women back in the 1970's?

Old 06-04-2012, 12:51 PM

334 posts, read 1,103,481 times
About the Kelly Tinyes case, here's a link to another thread on this board
https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-50-grand.html
There are a number of older threads that mention it as well, including post # 37 much earlier in this thread, on page 4

Sad story about the Herricks Rd murders, I've driven by that block a number of times and never would have thought of anything like that happening there.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,425,609 times
Crazy Sammy I remember it well as I grew up in Herricks. Knew his Mom who came into the place that I worked in high school. For some reason I think he was killed while he was doing time in Attica. I also knew the house on Herricks Road with the family killed in the post two or three above. We would never walk on that side of the street.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:07 PM

530 posts, read 1,341,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Crazy Sammy I remember it well as I grew up in Herricks. Knew his Mom who came into the place that I worked in high school. For some reason I think he was killed while he was doing time in Attica. I also knew the house on Herricks Road with the family killed in the post two or three above. We would never walk on that side of the street.
Wow this brings back memories. A friend if mine briefly dated Sammy Dinicola and I remember her talking about how strange he was. I can't remember if he went to Herricks or not, maybe New Hyde Park Memorial. I went to Herricks.

I also remember the family that was killed on Herricks Road. Our friends had a dairy right nearby (Dietz) and that house sat empty for years. How gruesome. I wonder if the people living there now know the history of the place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island