Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 17,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari1 View Post
I lived 3 doors away at 356 Herricks Road. I was 4 years old at the time and remember all of the activity like it was yesterday. I was awoken by bigs beams of light from flashlights. The police were searching in our yard. My dad grabbed me and my siblings from bed and kept us all together with my Mom in the living room. He got a rifle and was ready to protect us from escaped killer Mate Ivanov who just murdered his relatives,(the Gregoffs) an entire family and dog at the corner home. He used a French Bayonet to slit their throats one by one as they came home from school and work. He placed the bodies in the basement. He fled and wasn't caught until 1 month later on a boat to Cuba. The house remained vacant for several years and always had a light on which spooked us kids. My older brother was freiends with the youngest boy who was 12 at the time. Aother family with young children purchased the home and remodeled it. A few years later the mother got cancer and died and the family moved out. The home became vacant again for several years. Ivanov later escaped again but was soon caught after.
My family bought the house in 1963 and lived there for over 10 years. My mother did have cancer & died in 1972. My Dad remarried in 1975 and we moved to the south shore. The house was sold in 1976. I don't know when the new family moved in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 05:38 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
The one that I remember the most was the Amityville guy who killed his entire family in 1974 (1971?) and the family who next moved into the house reported seeing ghosts. The family after them claimed everything was swell tho

Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 PM

3 posts, read 12,441 times
It was in '93. His name was Harry Pappas. He was from East Meadow. Two brothers who were thrown out came back on a motorcycle (one had a shotgun)and blew him away right there in the parking lot. It was one of the worst days of my life. R.I.P Harry

Old 02-26-2014, 10:54 PM

3 posts, read 12,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
The one that I remember the most was the Amityville guy who killed his entire family in 1974 (1971?) and the family who next moved into the house reported seeing ghosts. The family after them claimed everything was swell tho
Ronnie DeFeo.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:12 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
The Amityville murders of the entire rest of the DeFeo family by the eldest son was in November 1974.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:11 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Another famous crime was the Robert Kubecka and Donald Barstow mob related murders in 1989.

Families of Slain Informers Awarded $10.8 Million - NYTimes.com

Old 03-17-2014, 04:35 AM

8 posts, read 45,036 times
Default killer mate ivanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS18940 View Post
The address was 342 Herricks Rd. The house was originally a cape cod and in the mid 60's the house had a major renovation raising the roof adding 4 bedrooms & a bathroom on the second floor. I know this because my family bought the house in 1963 after the murders. My Dad said no one would by the house and he got a great price for it. He and his friends had to "clean" the house before we could move in. We lived there for over 10 years and always heard stories about the murders.
Killer mate ivanov died in january 2000 like free man and rich man.

Last edited by chippo; 03-17-2014 at 05:26 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari1 View Post
I lived 3 doors away at 356 Herricks Road. I was 4 years old at the time and remember all of the activity like it was yesterday. I was awoken by bigs beams of light from flashlights. The police were searching in our yard. My dad grabbed me and my siblings from bed and kept us all together with my Mom in the living room. He got a rifle and was ready to protect us from escaped killer Mate Ivanov who just murdered his relatives,(the Gregoffs) an entire family and dog at the corner home. He used a French Bayonet to slit their throats one by one as they came home from school and work. He placed the bodies in the basement. He fled and wasn't caught until 1 month later on a boat to Cuba. The house remained vacant for several years and always had a light on which spooked us kids. My older brother was freiends with the youngest boy who was 12 at the time. Aother family with young children purchased the home and remodeled it. A few years later the mother got cancer and died and the family moved out. The home became vacant again for several years. Ivanov later escaped again but was soon caught after.

His eldest son was born in 1948 made a suicid after vietnam's war.

The youngest son was born 1999 has only fifteen years old.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineola friend View Post
I clearly remember this. It was the entire family including my schoolmate Michael. It was bigger than you say here. The murders were done by the uncle on Thanksgiving or that weekend. He got through the entire home and managed to kill so many people including Michael and a baby. I'll never forget it. We drove past and I walked past on the way home from school. The house was white with red shutters and a red door with I think a G on the storm door for Greco. I will never forget that time. I never found out if this uncle received justice for killing this entire family. It was an entire family and not just one or two.
He was 75 years old.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 AM

68 posts, read 199,715 times
Default Sammy Denicola Info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Ran a google search and couldn't find anything on him.
Inmate Information » NYS Department of Corrections and Community Supervision

According to the above link, a Samuel Denicola was convicted of murder in 1974 and died in prison in February 2012. See below. He would have been up for parole again in July of that year.
Inmate Information

Inmate Information Data Definitions are provided for most of the elements listed below. When a detailed definition is available for a specific element, you may click on the element's label to view it.
Identifying and Location Information
As of 03/18/14 DIN (Department Identification Number) 74A1575 Inmate Name DENICOLA, SAMUEL Sex MALE Date of Birth 06/20/1948 Race / Ethnicity WHITE Custody Status DISCHARGED Housing / Releasing Facility COXSACKIE Date Received (Original) 05/16/1974 Date Received (Current) 05/16/1974 Admission Type County of Commitment NASSAU Latest Release Date / Type (Released Inmates Only) 02/26/12 DECEASED Crimes of Conviction
If all 4 crime fields contain data, there may be additional crimes not shown here. In this case, the crimes shown here are those with the longest sentences.
As of 03/18/14 Crime Class MURDER (DEG'LESS PRIOR 9-1-74) A1 Sentence Terms and Release Dates
Under certain circumstances, an inmate may be released prior to serving his or her minimum term and before the earliest release date shown for the inmate.
As of 03/18/14 Aggregate Minimum Sentence 0025 Years, 00 Months, 00 Days Aggregate Maximum Sentence LIFE Years, 99 Months, 99 Days Earliest Release Date Earliest Release Type Parole Hearing Date 07/2012 Parole Hearing Type REAPPEARANCE Parole Eligibility Date 10/18/1996 Conditional Release Date NONE Maximum Expiration Date LIFE Maximum Expiration Date for Parole Supervision Post Release Supervision Maximum Expiration Date Parole Board Discharge Date
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island