Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2010, 10:16 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times

Advertisements

Oh my this is scary - squab paste - love the dark humor here. This story is NEVER told! Where is this estate now? I think I have an idea but I am not sure.
No one EVER told me this story before and I am quite a history freak and I do ask a lot of questions.
I am so near the Rail Road.
Now I sit in my haunted house with THIS on my mind and the horrible tar and feathering incident???
UUUUUGGGHHHH!!!!!
You are a scary woman, Ohbehave. You will have to deal with the likes of wife beater bandanna wearing FENCE GUY after I leave!
TAKE THAT!
Where do you get this creepy stuff? I search but my creep threshold continues to rise.
Lile a drug addict's tolerance, mine has become insatiable.
Squabs, weird disappearances, and tar and featherings. Just what I need to hear all alone with my DH in PA....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:04 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
Sorry to scare you...

The house was where the University Child Care Services now stands. There was a fire there about 10 years or so ago. SCPD still considers this as an open cold case. In fact, there was speculation that the wife's body was burned in the basement furnace. After the fire, and before the lot was cleared for the UCCS, the SCPD was back in there searching -- still nothing.

Nothing like creepy local stories!

Old 08-14-2010, 11:20 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,529,961 times
Which University child care building? The original one on the corner of Nicolls's Rd.?
Yes local stories are the ones that I find to be the scariest. So close to home. literally.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
The 'new' building on Stony Brook Road just north of the university entrance. Part of the fenced in children's play area sits where the house once stood.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:36 PM

6 posts, read 20,721 times
Someone on this forum said they know Alice..........are you Alice?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,971,780 times
I bet Alice reads this.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:20 PM

6 posts, read 20,721 times
I think so.
Would love to sit and have a Bloody Mary with her. Do you know what happened to Eddie her first husband? I felt so sorry for her mother and brother. Boy did that case bring out all the crazies.
Alice had the cutest kids if you remember. She named her boat Missy after her daughter.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,326,495 times
OBH --- tried to rep you on that "squab paste" story but couldn't.

I wonder what the "relationship" was between the husband and the housekeeper after the Mrs. conveniently disappeared ...

Old 08-19-2010, 09:20 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,326,495 times
Default I can't believe this one was left off the thread ...

How about the shotgun killing of Billy Woodward, Jr. in Oyster Bay by his showgirl/model wife Ann (who had first been his father's mistress)? Ann claimed it was accidental because she thought he was a prowler and was never charged because her mother-in-law stood behind her (even though the MIL hated her), as she did not want the scandal that would ensue if Ann was prosecuted. Ann was socially ostracized after that because everyone thought she murdered him because Billy had previously asked her for a divorce. (Later it turns out there had actually been a prowler in the house and it probably was an accident.) This killing became fodder for 3 books (one non-fiction, two fiction). Truman Capote and Dominick Dunne were the authors of the fiction books (just prior to the publication of excerpts in Esquire magazine of the Truman Capote book Ann committed suicide by cyanide). The two children of the marriage did not fare well either, as both committed suicide by jumping from windows. Jimmy went to Vietnam and returned a heroin addict and succeeded in killing himself a year after his mother committed suicide. The other went on to live a productive life, but also jumped out of a window when he was 54. Here is a couple of snippets from the 2 page NY Times story on this son's death, which retells all the tragedies of the family. Also note a big political family involved in the case ... Frank Gulotta was the District Attorney of Nassau County at that time.

Heir to a Fortune, and to Tragedy - Suicide Ends the Life of a Wealthy, and Haunted, Man - NYTimes.com

Quote:
William was only 11 years old in 1955 when his mother shot and killed his father, mistaking him for a prowler at their weekend estate. The crack of the shotgun did not wake young Woody, but the shooting echoed throughout his life: His mother, Ann, was exonerated, but she committed suicide in 1975 after Capote depicted her as a murderous vamp. His younger brother, Jimmy, dabbled in drugs and spent time in mental institutions before he jumped to his death from a hotel window.

On the night of Oct. 30, 1955, Billy and Ann Woodward had returned to their weekend estate in Oyster Bay on Long Island, after attending a dinner party honoring the Duchess of Windsor. There had been reports of a prowler, and the couple retired to separate bedrooms armed with loaded weapons. Awakened by what she later described as the sound of an intruder, Mrs. Woodward grabbed her gun and fired at a shadow in her doorway. It was her husband. The two boys, asleep elsewhere in the house, did not wake up.
TruTV has a complete rundown on it's website:

All about The Woodwards: Tragedy in High Society, by Mark Gribben — Banks and Horses — Crime Library on truTV.com

1955 Story from Time Magazine about Ann:

NEW YORK: The Girl from Kansas - TIME

Actual reproduction of Life magazine article in Google books:

LIFE - Google Books

Go to page 35 and that is where the article starts with a picture of a floral arrangement for Billy's funeral. This article is really nice as it has TONS of photos of everything ... old family pics, their kids, dog, horses, even shots of the locations of their estate, other Gold Coast estates, etc.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:29 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,285,621 times
I don't think this was very famous, but does anyone remember the bouncer who was gunned down at Chevey's, which was in West Islip? I think it was the mid 80's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island