Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:59 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolling For Dollars View Post
Inmate Information » NYS Department of Corrections and Community Supervision

According to the above link, a Samuel Denicola was convicted of murder in 1974 and died in prison in February 2012. See below. He would have been up for parole again in July of that year.
Inmate Information

Inmate Information Data Definitions are provided for most of the elements listed below. When a detailed definition is available for a specific element, you may click on the element's label to view it.
Identifying and Location Information
As of 03/18/14 DIN (Department Identification Number) 74A1575 Inmate Name DENICOLA, SAMUEL Sex MALE Date of Birth 06/20/1948 Race / Ethnicity WHITE Custody Status DISCHARGED Housing / Releasing Facility COXSACKIE Date Received (Original) 05/16/1974 Date Received (Current) 05/16/1974 Admission Type County of Commitment NASSAU Latest Release Date / Type (Released Inmates Only) 02/26/12 DECEASED Crimes of Conviction
If all 4 crime fields contain data, there may be additional crimes not shown here. In this case, the crimes shown here are those with the longest sentences.
As of 03/18/14 Crime Class MURDER (DEG'LESS PRIOR 9-1-74) A1 Sentence Terms and Release Dates
Under certain circumstances, an inmate may be released prior to serving his or her minimum term and before the earliest release date shown for the inmate.
As of 03/18/14 Aggregate Minimum Sentence 0025 Years, 00 Months, 00 Days Aggregate Maximum Sentence LIFE Years, 99 Months, 99 Days Earliest Release Date Earliest Release Type Parole Hearing Date 07/2012 Parole Hearing Type REAPPEARANCE Parole Eligibility Date 10/18/1996 Conditional Release Date NONE Maximum Expiration Date LIFE Maximum Expiration Date for Parole Supervision Post Release Supervision Maximum Expiration Date Parole Board Discharge Date
Thank you for finding that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 01:12 PM

31 posts, read 153,190 times
There was a guy who owens the oeka catsle that got shot in the face a wile ago. That was famose and was on all the news.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:22 AM

8 posts, read 45,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPNATIVE View Post
I well remember this crime. The circumstances were particularly ironic and tragic. I grew up on the other side of Jericho Turnpike, a few blocks from the family who were murdered. I attended Corpus Christi School in Mineola (although I grew up in Garden City Park), and I remember the Sunday Mass at which prayers were asked for this family, who were also parishioners, who had been butchered. The relative who had murdered them was, I believe, an immigrant from some European country (like Czechoslovakia or Hungary) and had been sponsored by them to emigrate to America. The murders occurred within weeks of Christmas. The family members were all out of the house (I think it was a Saturday), shopping for Christmas. Something had set the relative off and he stabbed one of the sons. He then hid the body in a room, and waited in the house for the other family members to return. As they returned, one by one, he would stab them to death and stash their bodies away in a separate room. I also remember that it was reported that his attacks against each family member was quite vicious and that he had also stabbed the family dog over 50 times. At the time, the 1961 song by the Tokens "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" was getting a lot of air play, and it became indelibly (and hauntingly) linked in my mind with this family slaughter (in fact, the lyrics actually seemed to underscore this connection). Years later, I found that one of my brothers had the same exact association with this song. I recall press descriptions of family Christmas presents, wrapped and hidden away in closets, being found by the police. It was this mass murder which caused my family, and others in the neighborhood, to begin locking our doors and windows at night (yes, back then people still felt safe enough to go to sleep for the night with unlocked doors). Weeks later, the murderer was picked up in a rowboat off the coast somewhere down South claiming to be a refugee from Cuba. He was sent to Pilgrim State Hospital for the criminally insane. For all I know he might still be there. He also had a son, who later grew up to walk into his therapists office, pull out a gun and shoot himself in the head.
Killer mate ivanov was imprisoned in a mental hospital in New York. He spent 13 years there. He asked to be tried for the murder of five family members. It was one of the longest trial in the history of New York State. The jury has decided: not quilty, he is a mental patient
Killer mate ivanov was not a U.S. citizen but a citizen of Yugoslavia. After the trial
he was transferred to a mental hospital in Yugoslavia. Yugoslav psychiatric doctors
found that he was mentally completely healthy.
Social Services was asked by his family in Yugoslavia to take over the care. No one
has agreed to house killer. After a few months he escapes from the mental hospital.
He settled in Paris, France where life (another 25 years) hard working two jobs.
The killer mate ivanov died in January 2000 as a free man and a rich man.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Mate Ivanov escaped from Central Islip State hospital then murdered a family of 5 and, their dog, in November 1961 on Herricks Rd. in Mineola.
Mistery or money?
Hardworking man was dream the American dream. Why this man was in a mental
hospital before tragedy?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Toledo Blade - Google News Archive Search

That should lead to a full news article on Ivanov's murders. Here's a snippet:

Quote:
Mental Patient Accused of Murder MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) — Forty detectives have been assigned to track down an escaped mental patient accused of massacring the family of a brother-in-law who helped him come to this country a year ago. Named in a first-degree murder warrant is Mate (Mike) Ivanov, 38. "Irrefutable evidence" places the mentally disturbed Ivanov in the home of Peter Gregov at the time of the five slaydngs Saturday, according to Stuyvesant Pinnell, Nassau County chief of detectives. The killer methodically stabbed and slashed to death G~egov, 39; Mrs. Gregov, 35, and their three- son, then neatly covered the bodies—Gregov's with a rug, the others with blankets or sheets....

Old 03-23-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippo View Post
Mistery or money?
Hardworking man was dream the American dream. Why this man was in a mental
hospital before tragedy?
Mental Patient Accused of Murder MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) — Forty detectives have been assigned to track down an escaped mental patient accused of massacring the family of a brother-in-law who helped him come to this country a year ago. Named in a first-degree murder warrant is Mate (Mike) Ivanov, 38. "Irrefutable evidence" places the mentally disturbed Ivanov in the home of Peter Gregov at the time of the five slaydngs Saturday, according to Stuyvesant Pinnell, Nassau County chief of detectives. The killer methodically stabbed and slashed to death G~egov, 39; Mrs. Gregov, 35, and their three- son, then neatly covered the bodies—Gregov's with a rug, the others with blankets or sheets....

He was revenge for sending in a mental hospital.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:31 AM

It was revenge for sending in a mental hospital.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 PM

3 posts, read 16,151 times
I believe it was on Beebe Rd, one block off of Herricks Rd. I had a friend that lived down the street from the crime scene. I was 14 and I believe one of the kids that was killed went to our High school (Mineola), which was located behind Chaminarde HS, before they built the big school behind McGinnis of Sheepshead Bay Restaurant on Jericho Tpk. We rode our bikes down the street to the house. All the windows were covered in sheets. My friend said the walls were smeared with blood, that it was very savage attack. The guy hid by the basement stairs and nabbed people as they entered into the back doorway. I lived in Williston Park and used to ride my bike over to my friends house. About 53 yrs ago, it doesn't seem real, but it sure was.
Richard

PS it happened around Thanksgiving Nov 27 1961.

Last edited by ritchs; 04-15-2014 at 10:09 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 16,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchs View Post
I believe it was on Beebe Rd, one block off of Herricks Rd. I had a friend that lived down the street from the crime scene. I was 14 and I believe one of the kids that was killed went to our High school (Mineola), which was located behind Chaminarde HS, before they built the big school behind McGinnis of Sheepshead Bay Restaurant on Jericho Tpk. We rode our bikes down the street to the house. All the windows were covered in sheets. My friend said the walls were smeared with blood, that it was very savage attack. The guy hid by the basement stairs and nabbed people as they entered into the back doorway. I lived in Williston Park and used to ride my bike over to my friends house. About 53 yrs ago, it doesn't seem real, but it sure was.
Richard

PS it happened around Thanksgiving Nov 27 1961.

Just read the post by MAS18940 and realize I am wrong. It was a long time ago
Yeah, 342 Herricks Rd. I was spooked plenty by the story and seeing the house within a week after

Old 04-17-2014, 08:52 PM

239 posts, read 413,679 times
[quote=watamensch;4713286]Suicide Adds to Mystery Of Corpse Found in Barrel - New York Times

Back in 1999, a family bought a house in Jericho. After moving in, the owner took a barrel to the curb for disposal. The sanitation workers checked the barrel before taking it and found a dead body that had been sealed for years.

NCPD investigated. The first owner of the house owned a plastics factory and had an affair with the the deceased and killed her when she became pregnant. She had disappeared back in 1969, but her family was from Central America and the disappearance was not investigated here in the US.
------------------
Thank you.

I remember this and wrote a short story for an Upstate publication with this very theme. There was no follow up investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island