Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,340,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
No if I remember correct Long Islanders agreed to observed the debt. The reason why the specs kept changing and then the plant never operated is because of the elected officials that were elected by the people ran on the we will close the plant platform (some who later admitted it was a bad idea)
I just meant that there wasn't a referendum vote. NYS made the agreement with LILCO for LI'ers to absorb the costs of the useless plant. LI'ers could not argue about that because at the time many people on LI WERE deathly afraid of nuclear power and WERE hopped up about the (lack of) escape routes. Now that we think of it, this is extra crazy because Indian Point is so close by that if that one blew, LI would be "over" too. Yet such a fuss was made about Shoreham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 01:39 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,044,539 times
It's not as if they would be giving it to us for nothing. We would be paying for it as we pay other areas for electric now except this would be cheaper.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:06 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,340,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
It's not as if they would be giving it to us for nothing. We would be paying for it as we pay other areas for electric now except this would be cheaper.
Maybe they are afraid if we buy some of this power, there won't be enough for them?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:14 PM

863 posts, read 2,109,865 times
Li'ers voted for the non nuclear politicians that held the deal up in the first place and cause a million problem. I have to look at my research but the guy that was county executive I believe and one of the biggest opponents changes his mind years later.

Oh there is still no escape route off the island if and just for fun they turned on the plant for a month to screw them. We still have some of the same issues. People want to put wind turbines off the shores out there and the not in my back yard people come out of the wood works again. Like someone said on here people have a lot of money to waste.

P.S one last note there was a lab even closer thought I believe it has since closed at Brookhaven so stupid is stupid does and now pays a fortune for electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I just meant that there wasn't a referendum vote. NYS made the agreement with LILCO for LI'ers to absorb the costs of the useless plant. LI'ers could not argue about that because at the time many people on LI WERE deathly afraid of nuclear power and WERE hopped up about the (lack of) escape routes. Now that we think of it, this is extra crazy because Indian Point is so close by that if that one blew, LI would be "over" too. Yet such a fuss was made about Shoreham.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:26 PM

112 posts, read 258,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
I doubt any LI rate or taxpayer agreed to absorb the 6 billion dollars. The money should have came wholly out of the sale of LILCO.
One important item to remember; LILCO was not sold. LILCO merged with Brooklyn Union Gas and after a few iterations the "old" LILCO and Brooklyn Union has evolved into part of National Grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn
Now that we think of it, this is extra crazy because Indian Point is so close by that if that one blew, LI would be "over" too. Yet such a fuss was made about Shoreham.
According to all sources of information Long Island is no where within the evacuation area for Indian Point. Parts of Eastern Suffolk however ARE within the evacuation zone off Millstone in Connecticut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn
P.S one last note there was a lab even closer thought I believe it has since closed at Brookhaven so stupid is stupid does and now pays a fortune for electric.
Brookhaven National Laboratory's nuclear facility still operates for medical research. The facility never used nuclear power for generation of electricity. They don't pay a fortune eaither, they buy their electric from New York Power Authority (NYPA) just like Rockville Center and the village of Greenport on the North Fork.

Oh, and right now the lab is building one of the biggest Solar Power facilities on the East Coast.

Old 12-16-2011, 05:52 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,693,358 times
Too bad the original post and subject was hijacked i can't understand why folks do this??

Old 12-16-2011, 11:48 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,673,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Too bad the original post and subject was hijacked i can't understand why folks do this??
Because each thread takes on a life of it's own.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 PM

294 posts, read 610,693 times
Listened to the clip.

He's correct about certain things and off the mark about other things.

The preference power from NYPA's Niagara plant is spoken for, so he would need to undo decades old federal legislation as well as state legislation in order to see any additional Preference Power priced electricity come to LI. Currently, the municipalities of Greenport, Freeport and Rockville Centre receive hydro preference power from NYPA. Brookhaven National Laboratory also recently began receiving hydro power from NYPA (predominantly from the St. Lawrence plant), but not at the Preference price. Beginning next July, many businesses on LI will begin to receive hydro allocations as part of the new statewide Recharge New York Program.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 AM

Default We sighned the petition and it worked

I just received an email from Assemblyman Al Graf that the petition we sent to Gov Cuomo has caused him to start a bill to allow LIPA to buy upstate hydro power .Thanks to all that signed the petition that I posted.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:14 AM

More help from Gov. Cuomo in today's Newsday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island