Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 10:12 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I grew up in bellmore and live in wantagh now. I completely agree with SIB here. its really a non-issue unless you are really on the border and on a main access way.

I would say that there are areas of the bellmores, merricks, seaford, and even in wantagh, that I wouldn't buy. Not b/c there is some real hidden problem, but b/c the streets are just less desireable. Everything from smaller lots, to bungalos that were built up weirdly, proximity to major roads/schools, style of houses (the split and high ranch areas). And there are nicer areas, vs less nice areas.

I go by feel, if the area has a good feel, go for it. If you checked all the boxes, but are uncertian about the street or block and feel a little funny... well, think about it, you have to live there once you get a "deal"

Fair assessment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The PC powers that be in Albany would be accused of racial segregation if they don't send children from the heavily minority Roosevelt district to districts which are less diverse. If there's going to be pain or love, everyone in the surrounding districts will have a share of it.
Money talks. I tend to think the bought and paid for policitians that represent certain areas would take care of their own.

Besides, Freeport is 42% white. Problem solved.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Money talks. I tend to think the bought and paid for policitians that represent certain areas would take care of their own.

Besides, Freeport is 42% white. Problem solved.
The politicians would be spouting lots of hot air for the constituents, but how much sway would they hold over the Board of Regents?

Freeport might be 42% white, but are the schools?

According to the following, Freeport schools are 7% white:
Freeport School District, Freeport, NY - Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com

Uniondale 1%
Uniondale School District, Uniondale, NY - Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com

Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,764,254 times
Quote:
The politicians would be spouting lots of hot air for the constituents, but how much sway would they hold over the Board of Regents?
I was unaware the Board of Regents (or anything else in this state) is immune from the influence of special interestes! lol...

If this pipedream ever happens, it's going to happen on terms those of means are comfortable with, IMO.

nice find on the demographics. Interesting contrast to say the least...

Old 11-18-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I was unaware the Board of Regents (or anything else in this state) is immune from the influence of special interestes! lol...
Which is why I wrote "how much sway." We know there's wiggle room. We just don't know how much they'll wiggle.

Quote:
If this pipedream ever happens, it's going to happen on terms those of means are comfortable with, IMO.
Those of means might either send their kids to private or move -- sort of like what happened in Roosevelt in the 1960's.

Quote:
nice find on the demographics. Interesting contrast to say the least...
Thank you.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 PM

29 posts, read 50,957 times
Thanks all for the input. I would say you have made me a little more leery about going south of Merrick Rd in Merrick due to snootiness, and not being part of the tribe, and actually a little leery of North Merrick as well due to proximity to Roosevelt and Uniondale.

I think I will continue to focus my efforts on these 5 towns (merrick, bellmore, wantagh, seaford, massapequa) as it seems that there really is no difference between them other than specific areas/blocks that may be undesirable. That was my initial take, and that's why I initially asked the question just to confirm.

I will definitely be more diligent in my home/neighborhood investigation as now I have 2 little ones to be concerned with, and not just the size of the bedrooms or other meaningless info.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechig2 View Post
Thanks all for the input. I would say you have made me a little more leery about going south of Merrick Rd in Merrick due to snootiness, and not being part of the tribe, and actually a little leery of North Merrick as well due to proximity to Roosevelt and Uniondale.

I think I will continue to focus my efforts on these 5 towns (merrick, bellmore, wantagh, seaford, massapequa) as it seems that there really is no difference between them other than specific areas/blocks that may be undesirable. That was my initial take, and that's why I initially asked the question just to confirm.

I will definitely be more diligent in my home/neighborhood investigation as now I have 2 little ones to be concerned with, and not just the size of the bedrooms or other meaningless info.
Good luck! Let us know where you ultimately end up!

Old 11-18-2011, 05:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
I agree 100% with this as far as being out of sight, out of mind and not affecting the majority of Merrick.

The fact that it is the furthest west of the so called nice towns on the South Shore and the potential for school district consolidation would still be red flags for me
But if they had to consolidate, wouldn't it be more likely that it would be with the towns further east? Politicians want to follow the path of least resistance. It's more likely that they would be combined with Bellmore than Freeport or Roosevelt.

Plus, geographically, it's easier to combine it with the areas further east. The Meadowbrook State Parkway is a pretty solid boundary between the two areas.

Quote:
The PC powers that be in Albany would be accused of racial segregation if they don't send children from the heavily minority Roosevelt district to districts which are less diverse. If there's going to be pain or love, everyone in the surrounding districts will have a share of it.
But couldn't they be considered guilty of racial segregation now? I mean, in most LI school districts, the White population is either over 85% or under 10% (maybe there are a few in western Nassau that are the exception)

Old 11-18-2011, 05:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
But couldn't they be considered guilty of racial segregation now? I mean, in most LI school districts, the demographics are either 85%+ White or less than 10% White.
No.

That's because they are all separate entities.

Some people think back in the day LI set it up this way because they didn't want to have forced busing and integration like what used to happen in the South (where there were/are typically city-wide or county-wide large school districts spanning segregated neighborhoods).

Old 11-18-2011, 06:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,132,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
No.

That's because they are all separate entities.

Some people think back in the day LI set it up this way because they didn't want to have forced busing and integration like what used to happen in the South (where there were/are typically city-wide or county-wide large school districts spanning segregated neighborhoods).
I'm not seeing what you're saying.

If the Merrick School District and Bellmore School District (I don't know about the outlines of the different districts, but let's assume they're seperate), they'd still be one entity, wouldn't they?

The problem would be if they took over the Freeport School District and they sent kids living in Freeport to Freeport schools and kids living in Merrick to Merrick schools. Then, it would be segregation within the district, because it's one district that covers mostly White and mostly Black/Hispanic areas, and the kids are being segregated so they go to mostly White or mostly Black/Hispanic schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island