Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:22 AM

160 posts, read 317,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Not Walter's; it's the Nassau County Planning Commission's East Massapequa, as used by the Census Bureau.
You use it a hell of a lot more than they do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Maybe their next ad campaign will have dancing "moolies." (Moulignon = Eggplant.)
I'm a canteloupe

Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,133,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
THAT is ghetto.

OK OK ghetto was a poor choice of words. It's not as nice as Massapequa closer to the preserve.
Well, you have to consider that not all trailer parks have the same level of crime. Just like here in NYC, the projects have different levels of crime. You have some really bad ones in the South Bronx, Brownsville, and East NY, and you have some in middle class areas, and even a few in the expensive neighborhoods of Manhattan. If the community pressures the city to keep a close eye on the projects, the crime rate can be fairly low. As Pequaman said afterwards, chances are that if there's just seniors in the trailer park, it's fairly decent.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Well, you have to consider that not all trailer parks have the same level of crime. Just like here in NYC, the projects have different levels of crime. You have some really bad ones in the South Bronx, Brownsville, and East NY, and you have some in middle class areas, and even a few in the expensive neighborhoods of Manhattan. If the community pressures the city to keep a close eye on the projects, the crime rate can be fairly low. As Pequaman said afterwards, chances are that if there's just seniors in the trailer park, it's fairly decent.
It's just not what you expect to be called Massapequa. It's not ghetto, per se. It's just seedy.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:36 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
It's just not what you expect to be called Massapequa. It's not ghetto, per se. It's just seedy.
They're in North Amityville, across the Suffolk border. It's certainly not pretty on that stretch of 110. The Tp doesn't help either. I think Syosset has a trailer park.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:45 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I think Syosset has a trailer park.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...evict-all.html

Syosset Mobile Home Park Community Take Over

Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That reminds me of this Kia commercial:

New Kia 'This or That' Soul commercial (featuring the 'Hamsters') - YouTube

I never understood how Kia got away with calling blacks hamsters (a racist term of yore). Because their hamsters were so cute?

Kia segued into the rapster hamsters. The first commercials showed suburban commuter hamsters spinning on their wheels going no where, while the cool Kia hamster zipped on by.

They've moved from the hamghetto to bringing peace to intergalactic invaders dancing. Yielding to complaints or just keeping things interesting?

Old 11-22-2011, 06:31 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,748,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Kia segued into the rapster hamsters. The first commercials showed suburban commuter hamsters spinning on their wheels going no where, while the cool Kia hamster zipped on by.

They've moved from the hamghetto to bringing peace to intergalactic invaders dancing. Yielding to complaints or just keeping things interesting?
Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see the racism in the Kia commercial ... I actually think it's brilliant marketing! compared to the mundane ads the auto companies usually run. Comparing the Soul to toasters, washing machines and cardboard boxes crumpling up.. it's genius from start to finish -- much better than the boring 'LMFAO' ad. Wasn't Kia running these hamster commercials way before this 'Hamsterdam' one came out?

I read that this ad was made by a black guy BTW and won auto ad of the year.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I just don't see the racism in the Kia commercial ... I actually think it's brilliant marketing! compared to the mundane ads the auto companies usually run. Comparing the Soul to toasters, washing machines and cardboard boxes crumbling up.. it's genius from start to finish -- much better than the boring LMFAO ad. Wasn't Kia running these hamster commercials way before this 'Hamsterdam' one came out?

I read that this ad was made by a black guy BTW and won auto ad of the year.
I agree that it's a great commercial. And I never really caught on to it but hamster IS an old derrogatory name for black people.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 AM

236 posts, read 474,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechig2 View Post
I currently live in Suffolk and am looking to move to Nassau, preferably Merrick, but open to anywhere between Merrick and Massapequa. My budget is between 400-475 or so.

I have 2 very little babies, and am moving for the schools but also don't want to be in a neighborhood that's too stuck up.

I know I can find some decent houses in that range south of Merrick Rd in Merrick, but not sure that would be the friendliest place to be either. We have been looking between Merrick Rd and Sunrise in Merrick as well, but the selection there seems to be pretty slim and overpriced for what you get. So I am thinking of expanding my reach into other areas.

My wife works in Brooklyn and drives, so we were hoping to be near some highways as that would shave some serious time off her commute.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Why not look into South Valley Stream or Lynbrook? In terms of a daily commute to Brooklyn, it would save a lot of time and aggravation. Relatively easy SSP access. Nice colonials to choose from in VS/Gibson. I know Valley Stream isn't a favorite around here but South VS/Gibson remains very friendly with good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island