Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:58 AM

160 posts, read 317,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Last I checked, Amityville had a very nice area by the water, a lovely downtown, and it's schools didn't need to be taken over by the state. Amityville has a few sketchy areas, but unlike Roosevelt, the entire area isn't an armpit.
Another point to at least consider, as a prospective buyer with a long term commitment to the schools: there has been talk of school district consolidation. Imagine getting lumped in with Roosevelt's wonderful district? Not saying it ever will happen, but it's a huge investment. I would pull out all the stops and consider everything if I were stepping in for the long haul (which I did).

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 AM

745 posts, read 1,506,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
Another point to at least consider, as a prospective buyer with a long term commitment to the schools: there has been talk of school district consolidation. Imagine getting lumped in with Roosevelt's wonderful district? Not saying it ever will happen, but it's a huge investment. I would pull out all the stops and consider everything if I were stepping in for the long haul (which I did).

Just a thought.
I was just making a COMPARISON to point out how ridiculous it is to try and discredit Merrick because of it's proximity to Roosevelt. Last time I checked the two were separated by the Meadowbrook SP, not like they are within blocks of each other. Would you avoid Garden City because Hempstead is it's neighbor? Or Dix Hlls because of Wyandanch?

The fact is, Merrick's crime rates are extremely low and in line with Massapequa's, Seaford's, and Wantaghs. You can look at neighborhoodscout.com to verify. So obviously the closeness to Roosevelt isn't resulting in an uptick of crimes in Merrick.

And we have been over it numerous times on this board, but I thought it was generally agreed upon that school consolodation would NEVER happen on LI, ever, so it was a non-issue.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I was just making a COMPARISON to point out how ridiculous it is to try and discredit Merrick because of it's proximity to Roosevelt. Last time I checked the two were separated by the Meadowbrook SP, not like they are within blocks of each other. Would you avoid Garden City because Hempstead is it's neighbor? Or Dix Hlls because of Wyandanch?

The fact is, Merrick's crime rates are extremely low and in line with Massapequa's, Seaford's, and Wantaghs. You can look at neighborhoodscout.com to verify. So obviously the closeness to Roosevelt isn't resulting in an uptick of crimes in Merrick.

And we have been over it numerous times on this board, but I thought it was generally agreed upon that school consolodation would NEVER happen on LI, ever, so it was a non-issue.
I don't believe anyone was trying to discredit Merrick, but rather make them aware of the pros and cons of the area. One would have to admit living in a decent community that shares a border with an area which is bad is something that should be taken into consideration when contemplating a home purchase.

As for consolidation -- never say never. Taxes are sky high, people are stretched thin and something has to give. It won't be tomorrow and my crystal ball isn't showing me 10 years down the road.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post

Actually, I wouldn't live in Dix Hills, because I think it's overrated and going down as a direct result of its neighbors. Hence my point/opinion/whatever.

To the OP: If you need more info for your purchase, be sure to log on to neighborhoodscout.com before you buy

I am not trying to denigrate your town, rather, as someone who was in a similar situation to the OP recently, I am sharing my opinion. But dialog like this is exactly what he needs.

This thread is not about validating your choice, it's about helping the OP with his.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I don't believe anyone was trying to discredit Merrick, but rather make them aware of the pros and cons of the area. One would have to admit living in a decent community that shares a border with an area which is bad is something that should be taken into consideration when contemplating a home purchase.

As for consolidation -- never say never. Taxes are sky high, people are stretched thin and something has to give. It won't be tomorrow and my crystal ball isn't showing me 10 years down the road.
Thank you

Old 11-18-2011, 09:59 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,768,600 times
For the vast majority of Merrick, Roosevelt may as well be in Suffolk. Unless you're buying very close to one of the two access points from Merrick to Roosevelt across the Meadowbrook...it's essentially a non-issue.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
For the vast majority of Merrick, Roosevelt may as well be in Suffolk. Unless you're buying very close to one of the two access points from Merrick to Roosevelt across the Meadowbrook...it's essentially a non-issue.
I agree 100% with this as far as being out of sight, out of mind and not affecting the majority of Merrick.

The fact that it is the furthest west of the so called nice towns on the South Shore and the potential for school district consolidation would still be red flags for me

Old 11-18-2011, 10:06 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,768,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
I agree 100% with this as far as being out of sight, out of mind and not affecting the majority of Merrick.

The fact that it is the furthest west of the so called nice towns on the South Shore and the potential for school district consolidation would still be red flags for me
probably a better chance of a tsunami hitting Merrick than its schools merging with Roosevelt. If Roosevelt ever gets consolidated, you can bet it will be with Uniondale and Freeport.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:07 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,350,147 times
Quote:
I grew up in bellmore and live in wantagh now. I completely agree with SIB here. its really a non-issue unless you are really on the border and on a main access way.

I would say that there are areas of the bellmores, merricks, seaford, and even in wantagh, that I wouldn't buy. Not b/c there is some real hidden problem, but b/c the streets are just less desireable. Everything from smaller lots, to bungalos that were built up weirdly, proximity to major roads/schools, style of houses (the split and high ranch areas). And there are nicer areas, vs less nice areas.

I go by feel, if the area has a good feel, go for it. If you checked all the boxes, but are uncertian about the street or block and feel a little funny... well, think about it, you have to live there once you get a "deal"

Old 11-18-2011, 10:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,744,094 times
Quote:
probably a better chance of a tsunami hitting Merrick than its schools merging with Roosevelt. If Roosevelt ever gets consolidated, you can bet it will be with Uniondale and Freeport.

The PC powers that be in Albany would be accused of racial segregation if they don't send children from the heavily minority Roosevelt district to districts which are less diverse. If there's going to be pain or love, everyone in the surrounding districts will have a share of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island