Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 04:16 PM

330 posts, read 887,904 times

Advertisements

We currently reside on the south shore, west babylon. One thing we have noticed about this location is that there is almost always a nice breeze during most times of the day, sometimes very strong, and it is very refreshing in spring and summer. We think this is due to the relative distance to the ocean. Probably about 3 miles. Though we could be wrong and it could be another factor.

We have also noticed that when we are out on the Island, central island and most north shore locations, it feels hotter and less breezy. As you head south down the meadowbrook you can just about feel it getting cooler.

Would you say this is accurate that most south shore locations are cooler and have more breezy conditions compared to the northern parts ... bellmore, merrick, wantagh, massapeaqua, islip, etc ... and how far in towards center island from the ocean do you think these conditions 'die down'. We also lived in farmingdale which is north of west babylon and did not remember such windy conditions there, but I am wondering the experience of other people. Are there north shore locations that match this?

Last edited by djdairyp; 06-07-2009 at 04:25 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 04:23 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,592 times
South Shore is cooler through about August 1: when the ocean heats up. That's why the pre-air conditioning resorts are all on the South Shore.

So, yes from the spring through late July South Shore can be lovely and much more pleasant.

Likewise, South Shore gets much less snow in early winter because of how warm the water is (the water in warmer in November than in May, as I understand)

Old 06-07-2009, 05:03 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
Yes, the minute you hit Montauk Highway, I would say it is about 10 -15° cooler on many summer days.

In winter , often the North shore right above us in Huntington has snow that we do not have here in Babylon.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-07-2009, 05:58 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Yup...I worked in Massapequa for 5 years. IT would be rainy winter day in Massapequa and then I'd go home to Huntington and there would be 5 inches of snow on the ground. And I can remember a couple of nice 80 degree spring days when I would decide to take my twins for a walk on the Jones Beach boardwalk when they were babies and it would be 10 degrees cooler down there. It's nice to have the option of heading down there when we have a heat wave. A couple of years ago it was one of those 100 degree days and we went to Point Lookout, it was 85 degrees and windy. I think you have to be fairly far south - i would say Sunrise Highway probably is the cutoff as nancy said.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:55 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,768 times
I have lived in all three "weather zones" (mid-Island, south shore, and north shore) at various times in my life and the weather/temperature differential line does seem to hover somewhere between Sunrise Highway and the Southern State Parkway. That is where you will first notice things like the snow/rain transition, fog, etc etc.

Personally I vastly prefer the South Shore (meaning Montauk Highway and southward) weather patterns to those of the North Shore (meaning Rte 25A and northward)... because I'm not a big fan of snow, and enjoy that offshore summer breeze.

I think that the much more heavily treed north shore areas act as a windbreak for any breeze that may come off the Sound (which is usually not the prevailing direction anyway). You'd probably have to literally be up on a bluff to feel it. South shore is much less treed in most areas.

For many years I lived south of Montauk Highway and worked north of 25A. It didn't take me long to get into the habit of always having boots in my car because it would often be raining overnight at my house but have snowed several inches at my workplace.

Also I would say that the summertime temperature differential between Montauk Highway and the areas south of it, and the LIE, can often be as much as 15 degrees.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:33 PM

330 posts, read 887,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
I have lived in all three "weather zones" (mid-Island, south shore, and north shore) at various times in my life and the weather/temperature differential line does seem to hover somewhere between Sunrise Highway and the Southern State Parkway. That is where you will first notice things like the snow/rain transition, fog, etc etc.

Personally I vastly prefer the South Shore (meaning Montauk Highway and southward) weather patterns to those of the North Shore (meaning Rte 25A and northward)... because I'm not a big fan of snow, and enjoy that offshore summer breeze.

I think that the much more heavily treed north shore areas act as a windbreak for any breeze that may come off the Sound (which is usually not the prevailing direction anyway). You'd probably have to literally be up on a bluff to feel it. South shore is much less treed in most areas.

For many years I lived south of Montauk Highway and worked north of 25A. It didn't take me long to get into the habit of always having boots in my car because it would often be raining overnight at my house but have snowed several inches at my workplace.

Also I would say that the summertime temperature differential between Montauk Highway and the areas south of it, and the LIE, can often be as much as 15 degrees.
great post, very informative and exactly what i was looking for. such a shame because the topography of the north shore is nicer, and it seems easier access to queens and nyc in many northern nassau areas, yet the weather pattern and more laid back feel of the south shore is a draw ... makes for tough decisions, though the south shore seems to be much more affordable.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:04 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,514,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post

I agree...great post. There is sometimes no better explanation of the local weather than from a local! Very nice.

The south shore of LI get a sea breeze nearly every day from May through November. It is caused by the land heating up faster than the water...and that causes lower pressure over the land. Air flows onshore to compensate. Since the water is never warmer than 70-75 deg (its about 58 now)...it can cool you off in a hurry.

On the north shore...there is a small "sound breeze" but it doesnt make it very far before the sea breeze from the Atlantic wins over. That is why the north shore feels more warm and humid also.

From a forecasting perspective...it is very tough to get the temperature forecast right in the summer because of the seabreeze. It can be 15 degrees cooler at MacArthur Airport than at SUNY Stony Brook! The wind shift also causes heartache for the FAA having to switch runway configurations at JFK. LGA and Macarthur (and puts lots of passengers in holding patterns)

The north shore does have higher winds during winter storms (Nor'Easters) where the wind whips in unimpeded off the sound.

Further east...Montauk is very typically the same temperature as the surrounding water...or maybe a few degrees warmer.

One thing I find fascinating about living near the Pine Barrens is how quickly it cools off. Gabreski airport is sometimes the coldest spot in the whole state!

Oh and if you think it has been raining a lot...you are right. As of Jan 1 we were about 5 inches below normal on rain. As of this week we are back to near normal. So we got the normal amount AND made up a 5 inch deficit in 6 months.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:40 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,915 times
The south shore also has alot more flies. theres the downside of living here.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:02 AM

532 posts, read 1,270,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
The south shore also has alot more flies. theres the downside of living here.
I haven't seen many flies at all. Are you sure its not a "local" problem?
Attached Thumbnails
North shore vs. South shore weather-untitled.bmp  

Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
I always knew that the north shore was warmer, but I really didn't experience this until recently. I'm getting married at the Smithtown country club, just a few blocks from where I grew up. When we're doing out wedding planning, we're up around that area. My fiance lives in West Islip. MAJOR difference in temperature. It must be about a 10-12 degree difference in both spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island