Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:06 PM

537 posts, read 818,816 times

Advertisements

I was looking on this forum and from the way people are describing Hempstead, you'd think they were talking about Compton, LA. Is it really as bad as people say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 07:53 PM

330 posts, read 726,161 times
No.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:03 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,712 times
Hempstead is only as bad as you make it. On any contrasted place, and respectfully seen, it might seem not too different than any other struggling place
upon this blighted American landscape. All that you need is to gain an acceptance of where we've been as contrasted against where it seems that we, as
caught-in-the -middle Long Islanders, are going. Hell is somewhere between WalMart and the rising cost of living, on the back of a bucking dinosaur which is
hell-bound upon destruction. Remember that Hempstead is a town, not a penal colony, just another collection of people who don't want to go to the grave,
without any notice. I lived among the renters there on Terrace avenue until living with them was no longer possible, I felt their pressures, identified with their
frustrations and felt at home with them right up to the moment that I realized that, as a white guy trying to save money on the rent, I'd become a target for
those who hoped to empty my pockets to pay their own rent, smoke another rock, buy another crave case or just intimidate me to the point of defeat.

As a younger man, I visited the Calderone and the Rivoli, the arcade there at the bus station, Reister's bakery or the Trianon, while we slipped out of town,
with a cookie in our hand. No, Hempsted isn't like it used to be, nothing anymore is like it used to be. I'm going to post a photo here of my first home so that
you might see that I've been around. I walked up and down Hempstead Avenue, in a friggin' diaper, years before you came out here on the internet to whine
about your perception of "quality-of-life". I've walked the walk, what are your credentials?
Attached Thumbnails
Is Hempstead really that bad?-malvern-ny.jpg  

Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,802 times
I really haven't been to Hempstead that much but based on my observations it has it's good parts and it's bad parts.

West Hempstead and South Hempstead are just very very middle class, they are not really bad neighborhoods or nothing fancy either, for the most part.

Hempstead itself, the residential areas are below-average to average-looking, but I think it looks a little better than some other long island communities it is often compared to.

As far as being compared to Compton and the worst communities in the country, I can't really comment since i'm not aware of the level of crime Hempstead or those areas have but in terms of looks alone, Hempstead is faaar better looking. But looks can be decieving

(Reply edited)

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 05-22-2011 at 08:27 PM..

Old 05-22-2011, 08:16 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,276,064 times
In the mid-sixties, we would go to Hempstead on the bus from Roslyn to go to Woolworth's & all of the other cool stores because they were actually open AT NIGHT!!!!! It was filled with other teen-agers and there was even a soda shop ala Archie , Betty and Veronica.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 PM

407 posts, read 828,636 times
I hear that there are lots of gangs in the Hempstead area. Gangs are everywhere but you hear about them more out in the Hempstead area. Every so often reading the paper I'll see a article on gangs in that area

Old 05-22-2011, 09:08 PM

537 posts, read 818,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
I hear that there are lots of gangs in the Hempstead area. Gangs are everywhere but you hear about them more out in the Hempstead area. Every so often reading the paper I'll see a article on gangs in that area
I've heard about them in the paper, too. Both in Hempstead and Roosevelt, you'll sometimes read about a shooting involving MS-13 members or something. While not very comforting to read, it doesn't seem to happen anywhere near as often as in places like Compton or Camden, NJ.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:51 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,455,621 times
Hempstead isn't as bad as the rep it has. Hempstead tends to stick out because the crime is worse there than most of Long Island. However, Long Island has among the lowest crime rates in the country. The crime rate in Hempstead is actually pretty close to the nationwide average.

So is Hempstead bad compared to Long Island as a whole? Yes. Is it bad compared to the nation as a whole? No

Also while Hempstead has some areas that look and are crappy, it also has some nice areas. The Cathedral Gardens section (NW portion of Hempstead) is a great area.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:18 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Hempstead isn't as bad as the rep it has. Hempstead tends to stick out because the crime is worse there than most of Long Island. However, Long Island has among the lowest crime rates in the country. The crime rate in Hempstead is actually pretty close to the nationwide average.

So is Hempstead bad compared to Long Island as a whole? Yes. Is it bad compared to the nation as a whole? No

Also while Hempstead has some areas that look and are crappy, it also has some nice areas. The Cathedral Gardens section (NW portion of Hempstead) is a great area.

lol are you talking about Hempstead on L.I. ?

The Hempstead violent crime rate is 351% greater than the New York average and 172% greater than the national average.

Crimes per square mile in Hempstead is 409 in the state of N.Y. is 175 and the National average is 49

It has a Crime Index of 38 my town 95 out of 100 being the safest.

Before you move there or any other place for that matter...one should check out the local high school. It could tell you a lot .....

Hempstead is one of the least desirable towns to live in on the Island period end of story.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:57 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,455,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
lol are you talking about Hempstead on L.I. ?

The Hempstead violent crime rate is 351% greater than the New York average and 172% greater than the national average.

Crimes per square mile in Hempstead is 409 in the state of N.Y. is 175 and the National average is 49

It has a Crime Index of 38 my town 95 out of 100 being the safest.

Before you move there or any other place for that matter...one should check out the local high school. It could tell you a lot .....

Hempstead is one of the least desirable towns to live in on the Island period end of story.
Going by crimes per square mile does't make much sense considering population density. Murder rate is higher than the national average, as is the robbery rate and motor vehicle theft Assault rate, rape rate burglary rate and theft rate is lower than the national average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island