Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 08:36 PM

20 posts, read 116,255 times

Advertisements

Any information about hiring procedure/work environment.
I believe they hire off of the NCPD test. Is it a difficult job to get??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 05:36 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
It's the largest municipal police department on Long Island; 119 sworn officers. I believe you are correct in that they hire off the NCPD list but I also believe one must have village residency in order to be hired - this is the case with most LE agencies on LI; especially on the town and village level. Even the Suffolk County Sheriff's Office requires county residency.

Incorporated Village of Hempstead
^ here is their website, they have a section on hiring and recruiting on the right hand side

Old 09-11-2009, 10:39 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,232 times
Hempstead uses the Nassau County Civil Service list, as do all of the villages and the county, for their police hiring. Most villages (and Nassau County) do not require residency for appointment. Salaries are comparable to Nassau County and new hires are trained at the Nassau County Police Department Academy. As far as activity goes, Hempstead has a high crime rate and its officers are busy most of the time.

The civil service exam for police officers is given periodically and sporadically, typically every 4 years or so. Hiring is strictly from the civil service list and successful completion of physical and medical fitness exams, psychological exams and background checks. (Only about 1 in 10 who take a test actually are offered a job.) Check with Nassau County civil service for more information.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:32 PM

20 posts, read 116,255 times
I believe if you are a resident you receive preferance. I could be wrong also. Out of Freeport, Hempstead, Glen Cove which has the highest crime.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:47 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI5446 View Post
I believe if you are a resident you receive preferance. I could be wrong also. Out of Freeport, Hempstead, Glen Cove which has the highest crime.
I'm not sure if the villages will give preference to residents in hiring. They do have some flexibility in choosing people off the list.

In terms of crime rates, I'd say it would be Hempstead, Freeport, Glen Cove ... in that order. All in all, Hempstead has a pretty good department, respected within the law enforcement community in Nassau.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:44 AM

44 posts, read 60,171 times
Most villages in Suffolk and Nassau county use their respective civil service lists because it's easier. They don't have to follow civil service law so they can pick and choose who they want off the list, regardless of score or list rank. The town and village PD's almost always give preference to residents, but even still, you usually need one heck of a hook to get picked up. They are great jobs, and the salaries are very comparable to the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island