Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 06:44 AM

21,062 posts, read 28,752,042 times

Advertisements

Yes it's that bad, my mom work's in the library there and they have to call juvienile authorities at least once a day and a man was stabbed outside the library last year. She has one more year left there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,804,330 times
My friend lives on the Garden City/Hempstead borders (co-op's off Franklin Ave) and her parking lot is constantly littered with used condoms from prostitutes and their johns who troll Terrace Avenue. She grew up in GC and hates living so close to Hempstead and would love to move as soon as she can find another higher paying job.

I go to district court in Hempstead frequently and agree it is not pleasant (and thats in the middle of the day!). I can't fathom how dangerous it is at night, just watching the news reports covering the area tells me all I need to know about Hempstead's problems.

Last edited by LegalDiva; 06-17-2011 at 09:13 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 08:23 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,553,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzah Pizza View Post
I had the displeasure of working in hempstead half of last week and let me tell you, its not only disgusting, but its scary. Ive seen the most disgusting homes, it would actually make your stomach turn. Yes, some even smoked pot right in front of me as if it was a cigarette.
As this supposed to be a negative? I'm thinking of checking real estate prices there now...

Old 06-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
As this supposed to be a negative? I'm thinking of checking real estate prices there now...
I think he is implying that the majority of Hempstead residents are not very clean or take pride in the appearance of their dwellings. I can agree with some of that because I drive by some really large, gorgeous homes but the conditions outside/inside the home are terrible (peeling paint, garbage scattered all over the lawn/driveway, dirty and broken windows, sagging roof, etc).
This lowers the property value - residents are just not putting much care into their home because of finances or just plain laziness (and having been inside some Hempstead homes for real estate closings, I can agree with the above). My best recollection was walking into a home and the homeowners had 3 dogs and 2 cats, the cats litter box was not emptied in a week (the whole first floor smelled really bad), and the children were running around the house with muddy sneakers, the outside screen door was held together with DUCT tape on the edges where it cracked...

Old 06-17-2011, 01:19 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,553,011 times
Yup well that's what poor neighborhoods look like. Surely though, as you appear to be a RE attorney, you've seen some pretty wretched interiors even in solidly middle class areas. Having looked at dozens of houses only 5 years ago, it was pretty shocking to see how many people live.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:25 PM

663 posts, read 1,074,052 times
I see HomeGoods opened in Hempstead very recently, an interesting gamble to bring that type of retail to (back to) Hempstead.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I see HomeGoods opened in Hempstead very recently, an interesting gamble to bring that type of retail to (back to) Hempstead.
I've seen that HomeGoods store - its inside that shopping center that has Harbor Freight Tools on the corner, right?

There are several HomeGoods stores all over Long Island nabes, all ranging from lower middle to upper middle class areas. There is one in Merrick (right next to Trader Joes and the exit/entrance ramp to the Meadowbrook Parkway). It is always packed - I even shop there for great deals!! HomeGoods is awesome!!

Old 06-17-2011, 02:21 PM

330 posts, read 732,180 times
Listen, you guy are missing out. Hempstead is about to come up. There is a huge downtown revitalization project in the works. Granted, it will probably displace more than a few low income people in the downtown area, but the rest of Hempstead will benefit. Yeah, so Hempstead has some unsavory people and a drug issue. Grow the hell up, that's life. 99% of the time if you're not involved with said people and drugs nothing bad is going to happen to you, just like anywhere else (like my grandparents in Brooklyn and the mafia back in the day). Let's be real here, despite the reality that large parts of Hempstead are indeed nice neighborhoods there's one main reason why so many people talk sh. about Hempstead, we all know what that is. God forbid you see a side of life that isn't completely sanitized. You guys live in a freakin fantasy world.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:49 PM

21,062 posts, read 28,752,042 times
Hempstead coming up? I'll believe that when I see it. I wish my mom did not have to work in that area.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:50 PM

581 posts, read 1,249,116 times
I think you guys unfairly bash poor neighborhoods. Name one poor country/neighborhood that is in GOOD condition? Where should people get money from to maintain their property? have you guys ever took a close look at a poor individual and see the poverty in their face?

Sure certain parts of hempstead does not look good, and I wouldnt live in those areas, but we have to understand and have some sympathy for these areas. There will always be poor people in this world. There will always be poor people everywhere you go. Even in the great Garden City..I am sure there is an area where you dont get the same feel as certain parts. There has to be a place for the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island